main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

2007 College Football BCS rankings discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Rogue...Jedi, Oct 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    ...and the first BCS rankings of the year have been released.

1. Ohio State
    2. South Florida
    3. Boston College
    4. LSU
    5. Oklahoma
    6. South Carolina
    7. Kentucky
    8. Arizona State
    9. West Virginia
    10. Oregon
    11. Virginia Tech
    12. California
    13. Kansas
    14. USC
    15. Florida
    16. Missouri
    17. Auburn
    18. Hawaii
    19. Virginia
    20. Georgia

So right now we'd be looking at a OSU-USF championship game (which I'm sure Inty would like), and 3 SEC teams in the top 7.

Cal, SoCal, and Florida don't make the top 10, despite starting the season there and spending most of the season there as well until recently.

I know they're way down at 18, but still, since they're undefeated... how about a USF-Hawaii championship game? Talk about a ratings game :p

2. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    I could care less about ratings, But anyway how is Ohio State #1? they have a weak schedule, does that even factor in anymore.

3. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    They're #1 since they haven't lost and everybody that was supposed to be better than them has lost already.

I did find it slightly amusing how LSU still had a first place vote in the AP poll this week.

4. Dal--Intrepid

Dal--Intrepid Jedi Master star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    I fear Boston College is like Memphis in b-ball. Big fish in a small pond. When they finally play someone bigger, it might shake things up.

5. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Yeah, I don't expect BC to finish the season out undefeated. OSU and USF could, however, though with the way this year is going I rather doubt it.

6. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    I think Michigan will beat Ohio State. USF could go unbeaten but they still have Cinicinatti, Louisville

7. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Exactly. Certainly winnable games for OSU and USF there, but as many upsets as we've seen, I would not be at all surprised for both to be knocked off.

EDIT: I'll also go ahead and say I expect SoCal to lose at least one more game this season.

8. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    Boston College will lose one at least

9. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Again, I agree, and Kansas likewise (who really isn't in the same discussion IMO except for being undefeated).

Hawaii may have the best chance at going undefeated right now, though they could easily trip up as well- Fresno St, Boise St, and Washington still left on their schedule, all at home. Only road game is at Nevada.

10. Dal--Intrepid

Dal--Intrepid Jedi Master star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    Going to Hawaii must be pretty kick-@ss in general, but that travel schedule has got to be a killer. I hate to drive crosstown, let alone fly to the states all the time. How long a flight is it just from California to Hawaii?

11. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Its at least a few hours - I should remember, since I actually went this summer, but the exact time eludes me. I do feel sorry for the Hawaii team, having to travel like that for so many games every year. At least their opponents only have to do that once in a season.

12. Darth Mace

Darth Mace Jedi Master star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    What I'm wishing for is some teams like Oklahoma and LSU to go ahead and finish with their one loss and have USF and BC undefeated. Given the notion that they are playing in weak conferences, what would poll voters do? I'd think that OK and LSU would be favored to win right now if they play USF and BC so who should get the nod for the NC game? If the loss teams jump the undefeated teams, then USF and BC fans cry foul and rightfully so. But at the same time, there could be some justification to it. As someone noted, LSU still got a 1st place vote in the AP poll. Is this right? It depends. If you think that LSU could beat anyone on a neutral field (and you can't count them out against anyone...not yet anyway) then they may still deserve the vote. Or do you vote literally based on having an unblemished record? If you go that way, then you can't complain about OSU being #1 right now even though they haven't played anyone.

I absolutely hate the BCS. I'd actually rather go back to the old bowl system where conferences are locked in and "#1" and "#2" teams meeting in the post season is just a coincidence rather than what we have now.

13. DRHJ9

DRHJ9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2003
    I would like to see at least one team from all the major conferences with one loss. I have said this before. I hate the BCS, because it punishes teams that play in tough conferences.

Then we would have fighting going on about whose loss was better! Then maybe we could scrap this BCS stuff once and for all.

14. shinjo_jedi

shinjo_jedi Jedi Master star 5

May 21, 2002
    Ohio State remaining undefeated is highly, highly unlikely. They still have to play Wisconsin, Michigan, Penn State, and Illinois. Penn State & Michigan are both away, and I'm not sure about the other two. Chances of them making it through all four teams is unlikely, but after this year I have no idea what's going to happen - at this point in time, I'll be just as surprised if they lose all four or if they win every game in a shutout. All four teams have had their ups and downs, and their wins and losses...so we'll see.

15. Darth Mace

Darth Mace Jedi Master star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    I'm all for anything that creates a mess with the BCS. I've heard plenty of folks say having about 6 or 8 teams all with one loss would be the perfect mess. My problem with that, and I'm sure the media would take this direction, is that at the end of the day, of all those teams have one loss. That's something that any of those teams could theoretically have done better during the season to keep from being left out. You win that one game instead of losing it and you make it to the BCS title game. So there was something in your control that you didn't take advantage of. While the teams left out would whine, it's still not the same as being undefeated and getting left out.

The mess I want to see is more years like 2004 with more than 2 undefeated teams from the major conferences. That's what really creates a mess because those teams won every game and you have to tell someone it's not enough. I am an Auburn fan and I knew before it happened that they'd be left out because from a national perspective, no one cares about Auburn (they actually care more since 2004 but when it actaully happened, not so much). But imagine having three or four teams out of USC, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Texas, OSU, Michigan, or Alabama (and there are plenty others that could be on this list) and having to tell one of them that being undefeated isn't good enough. That might be what's needed to get rid of the BCS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.