main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

2007 Costume Projects

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by FETT-MAN, Dec 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FETT-MAN

FETT-MAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2005
    Ah, thank you for the link. Also another (cheaper) option is trash can armor. Go to thedentedhelmet, you'll find out how it works there.

2. luminousbeing78

luminousbeing78 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 9, 2005
    OK, somebody warn me if this idea is bound to end in tragedy...
    For the too-flimsy bottom portion of the train on my gown, I'm thinking of running wire across the bottom hem. Maybe this will help it retain its shape and keep it weighted down so that it won't get all kicked around. Honestly, this thing gave me such a fit I finally threw my hands up and ate two pieces of chocolate cake. :mad:

3. Kelldar

Kelldar Jedi Youngling

Sep 6, 2003
    I've had a similar method work for me - I've used cut pieces of the hoop of a hoopskirt in the hem to make a skirt keep its shape - once in my Yuuko costume and the other in my Belldandy costume. I don't know if thats the look you're going for me, but both times it worked well for what i needed it for, I just had to watch it getting caught on things! (furniture, people, elevator doors...)

4. luminousbeing78

Oct 9, 2005
    Nice work! I think it just might do the trick! The hem has the same small arc as the pink train of your dress, but it's not nearly as long, so maybe it won't be too hard to navigate around at C4. I'll just have to watch it (my husband stepped on the train of my lake gown at D*C...I think I heard about ten people gasp)LOL.

5. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    Nice costumes Kelldar!

6. Verdaera

Verdaera Jedi Master star 1

Apr 25, 2005
    What about a light starch? For a softer option, maybe try a little horsehair instead, it usually comes by the yard in the notions section at JoAnns (though the morons at my local store sometimes stick it in trims)

7. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    I have horse hair, but it's attached to my Viola bow.

8. Verdaera

Apr 25, 2005
    Hehe, no, technically horse-hair is this stuff made out of nylon that's woven in a way that makes it kinda springy... I think if you put it in hems on skirts it makes them full around the bottom and bouncy, ie doesn't get crisp folds and kinda keeps it interfaced. Hard to describe, but it might help with what she's doing. So please don't cut up your bow ;)

(psst, you ever get to play any Star Wars songs on that Viola?)

9. Last_Chael

Last_Chael Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 25, 2006
    HAhaha mine's on my Violin bow :p

Wish I'd gotten to play Star Wars music, but we did get to play The Lord of the Rings: FotR medley :D

10. Kelldar

Kelldar Jedi Youngling

Sep 6, 2003
    Hope this isn't too OT... after years of it being half-finished, and months of (very) slow work, I finally have our costume back up and running, updated with the last of my 2006 costumes, and I finally added all my friends' costumes in as well.
    http://kellilla.com/me/costuming

11. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    I've played POTC. I almost got to play LOTR. Last year, though, one of the other orchestras at my school got to play Battle of the Heroes as the grand finale at our spring concert. To end it the head director (who retired...) finished it off by diming the lights down on the final notes... then a red Vader blade ignited and was followed by massive applause! Since I was a freshman I couldn't be in that orchestra, but it's the top orchestra in the school so you have to be exeptionally good to be in it. I was so jealous, as you can imagine.

12. luminousbeing78

Oct 9, 2005
    Thanks for all the tips, guys. I'll be looking into the horsehair and hoop ideas in the near future, and making a Leia belt to accompany the gown. I tried using different types of darts to make the dress more form-fitting, but they looked really lame. A belt would probably 'complete' it all, plus answer the most frequent of all con questions--"So, who are you supposed to be?" LOL

13. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    I bet I'm going to get a lot of that with my custom Dark Jedi. He's sort of a mix between Anakin (ROTS) and the WitchKing of the Nazgul, with Maul's saber.

14. Neimhaille

Neimhaille Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2002
    I really wouldn't recommend wire except in situations where a structural look is required. Horsehair braid is probbaly your best bet (and eyes it was originally made with horsehair and I suspect you probably can find it as well as horse hair cloth from select upholstery stores.)

Otherwise if it's a light fabric even fishing line could work, or a brush braid or horsehair canvas... what effect are you specifically after and what are you getting now? If you want the train wo stay in a sweeping arc you may need to interface a fair way up as well to keep it held from the body.

I just made a dress this weekend.:
    [image=http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v609/glittersweet/picnic4.jpg][image=http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v609/glittersweet/picnic6.jpg]
    [image=http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v609/glittersweet/picnic7.jpg]
    Petticoat Friday evening, bodice yesterday, skirt last night and the ribbons on the sleeves this morning.

15. maret

maret Jedi Youngling

Jun 22, 2005
    I didn't get a whole lot done in 2006 costume wise. I been making prop weapons (ex. lightsabers) for a fanfilm I hope to begin this summer. But, I plan on doing costumes this year.

-3 Jedi
    -Bounty Hunter
    -Rodian Smuggler

Not a whole lot but I dont have alot of time to work on my costumes.

16. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Wow, Neimhaille! You impress me so much with the gowns you make! :D

I really really like this new one too! :D

~Spacelady

17. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    I'm working on a film myself! It's called 'STAR WARS: Forbidden Love'. What's yours called?

18. maret

maret Jedi Youngling

Jun 22, 2005
    The title's most likely going to change, but I was thinking 'STAR WARS: Storms of Deception'

19. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    Not bad. I'm writing another one (that won't be made until after I've graduated high school and have the money to make it) called 'STAR WARS: Verge of Darkness'. It'll be a full-length movie while Forbidden Love will be about half an hour.

20. Celsius_Nivlek

Celsius_Nivlek Jedi Youngling

Jan 22, 2007
    I plan to make a black sith robe. I have never made any type of clothing before so hopefully it turns out well. It will be a lot cheaper than buying one

21. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    No kidding. Hey, if you want something slightly more involved try a Jedi. That was my first costume. So far it's my only costume...

22. Verdaera

Apr 25, 2005
    *GORGEOUS* dress, Neimhaille, I LOVE it!

23. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    I don't know how you people do it, it must take a lot of time and effort. If I tried something like that I'd eventually just end up frustrated.

24. Last_Chael

Last_Chael Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 25, 2006
    yes, it does take a lot of time and effort! And Practice! I can't stress that enough. With eveything you get better the more practice you have. I've been sewing sinc I was about 5, but I still learn something new everyday. I find that if I really put my mind to it, then it takes no time at all. But you really have to be in the right mood for it, which sadly at the moment, I haven't been *shakes fist at darned summer weather!!*

But seriously, just gotta keep trying, and keep plugging away and you'll get heaps better!

25. Neimhaille

Neimhaille Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2002
    Thanks Verdaera and Space Lady:) I will possibly be altering it in the next month for an Heritage day. I definitely will be making a matching bonnet and will try for a parasol I may wind up adding an apron shaped drapery in the sheer fabric and more ruffles and maybe more ribbon:)

Now to work on my SCA garb!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.