main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

2007 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by DarthIntegral, Jan 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    With some of the bigger name underclassmen starting to declare and 75% of NFL teams eliminated for this year, I thought it could be a good time to start talking about the draft in a dedicated thread.

Here are some questions to get us started:

1) Who are the best overall prospects? Who are the best prospects by position?

2) Who are going to be good second day picks?

3) Who do you want your team to target? What are your teams needs?

4) Where is this draft deep, and where is this draft shallow?

Answer these questions, post your own questions, post your mock drafts, talk about interest in a community mock draft ... whatever, just keep in NFL Draft related!

2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
  3. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    South Carolina WR Sidney Rice has entered the draft as well, despite saying two months ago that he would definitely be returning next year.

He's our second WR to go pro early in the last 3 years (Troy Williamson, 7th overall to the Vikings, 2005).

4. EBSaints

EBSaints Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 29, 2002
    I've seen every game that JaMarcus Russell has played at LSU, and not once did I say to myself, this guy could be the #1 pick in the draft, but watch if the Raiders don't take him #1. I do think he'll be a good pro, but he's not in the same class that Peyton Manning or Carson Palmer were in when they came out of college. He's huge, has a big arm and is fairly accurate. He improved on reading coverages and they finally let him audible at the line a little this year, but he has a ways to go.

He drew a lot of comparisions to Aaron Brooks while in college, and that's not a good thing.

5. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    The Raiders would not select Russell over Troy Smith. Calvin Johnson and Sidney Rice will be good pros. Now that those two have declared I would expect Dwayne Jarrett to stay in school

6. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I wish it had been Johnson and Jarrett going pro early, and not Rice :(

Rice will be a better pro, IMO, than Troy Williamson, but at least this time we've got a deeper receiver core next year, so we won't have to depend on unknowns (even if the unknown in Troy's case was Sidney..)

7. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    I guess that the Raiders would do well to select a QB, so they have someone for the future, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Raiders traded up so they could get more first round picks.

8. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    The Raiders' offensive line needs a ton of work. On the subject of lines, the Jets D-line needs help as well.

9. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    I think the Packers need to draft a WR or RB in the first couple of rounds. After that, we need some defense.

10. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I think this draft is probably deeper than last year's when there were really three big names everybody wanted to get (Bush, Leinart and Young) and this year there seem to be more big name players declaring for the draft.

Beyond that I think it's too early to speculate. I'll stop by this thread after the Superbowl. :)

11. THE_JEDI_GUARDIAN

THE_JEDI_GUARDIAN Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2006
    Matt Millen will probally draft an other WR...again...for the forth straight year...

12. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Hey now. He didn't take a WR last year in the first round! Although I was pulling for him to take Santonio Holmes, just for the comedy value. Glad he didn't though. Kid looks too good in Black and Gold.

Although ... it wouldn't surprise me to see them take Calvin Johnson, but I think the best pick for them might be Brohm, if he comes out (and he should)

13. THE_JEDI_GUARDIAN

Jul 18, 2006
    They need to draft defense. They will be amazing next year, the only reason they were bad this year is because they were leading the league in injuries. At lease they beat the Cowgirls!

14. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Serioiusly?

Did you just say that the Lioins will be amazing next year?

I think that the Packers have a better shot at that than the Lions...

You just don't go from 3-13 to 13-3 in one season, unless you are the Chargers. And the Lions aren't the Chargers. They just suck.

15. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Yeah Lions are the the self esteem raisers for the other teams

16. THE_JEDI_GUARDIAN

Jul 18, 2006
    Dude, basicly, all the games the lions lost this year, were by less than 7 pts. Also factor in that they are leading the league in players that are on IR. They will be good next year (Especially because they have Kitna).

17. Saruman-the-White

Saruman-the-White Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 1, 2005
    Kitna will warm the position next year for the QB they will undoubtedly draft with the second pick.

18. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Dwayne Jarret will enter the draft

The biggest thing going against him is his school's history with wide receivers. Other than that, he's got the size, hands, speed and quickness you want, plus he's played in big games.

I wonder if Kiper will list him #1 overall, like he did with Mike Williams. :rolleyes:

19. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey

Obese_1_Ka-Blooey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2006
    Not that it means anything, but Sports Illustrated 2007 Rookie of the Year prediction: Marshawn Lynch. He needs to bulk up a bit, just a little, but he'll put up huge numbers next year. Too bad my Niners have Frank Gore... Watch for the golden teeth!

20. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    The Jets' beat writer for the post made a push for the Jets to draft Lynch, but they'll have to do some maneuvering in the draft (they're currently mid 20s), to snatch him. Leon Washington had some great flashes of brilliance, but he may not be a feature back.

21. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey

Obese_1_Ka-Blooey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2006
    It's a shame that no NFC West teams aren't really looking for a RB, so I couldn't watch that team play the niners twice a year. But that's what espn's for, isn't it? I just hope he gets taken rather high in the first round, because he deserves it.

22. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    I have been pondering....where is Troy Smith going to go? Do you guys think Monday night's BCS Championship game will effect it?

23. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    It should. His height is an issue, and I don't think he would have gone until late first round, before the BCS game.

24. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    He's probably late first at best, but more than likely a second round pick, at this point in time.

It's hard to fault him too much on the game, since he never had a chance to set and throw and was always under pressure from the d-line. A great game might have vaulted him up to middle-first, but that would have been as high as he could have gotten.

I think he'll probably go to a team like Baltimore or Philly in the second round.

25. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    Woh...Baltimore or Philly? Wouldn't that make him a late second round?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.