main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Richmond,VA 2007 NorthEast FanForce Awards Ceremony ? April 28th in Pittsburgh, PA

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Doc_Bev, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doc_Bev

Doc_Bev Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2003
    Fellow NorthEast FanForce members, I would like to draw your attention to this post over on the main NorthEast Regional boards. It includes all you need to know for the 3rd annual NorthEast FanForce Awards Ceremony.

In short, this year?s awards ceremony will be in Pittsburgh again right during the Pittsburgh Comicon - Saturday April 28th to be exact. And even if you can't attend in person, you can still participate by sending in nominations, photos for the slideshow and submissions for fan film and fan fiction awards.

See the thread linked above for all the details.

~Doc_Bev

2. StrangeWings

StrangeWings Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 10, 2005
    Sweet..I should be back living in da burgh for this.

3. JoeRichmondVA

JoeRichmondVA Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2006
    I think we could apply for some of these:

Luke Award - This award goes to the chapter who has grown not only in numbers (i.e. member count) but has also shown an overall improvement in their group as a whole.
    We started last year with.. well, no one meeting, and now we are an active and vibrant Fanforce chapter with strong ties to the 501st, Rebel Legion, etc.

Queen Amidala Award - This award goes to the chapter with the best costumes overall as a group. In order to compete for this you will need to submit a group costumed photo. That photo can be sent to fanforceawards@yahoo.net.
    We would have to do a photoshoot quickly for this.

Liaison Award - The Liaison award was awarded to someone who endeavors to bridge the gap between FanForce and other SW organizations.
    I think Luke would be a good candidate.

Padme Award - This award goes to best Chapter Rep in the Region. This CR must show strong leadership skills and overall great communication amongst their chapter and is an active voice with FF.
    ok, maybe I am stretching here...

What do y'all think?

4. shabad

shabad Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 18, 2006
    I think we should apply for this. Richmond FanForce has been transformed totally for the better in the past 8 months. There was barely a FanForce presence at all before the regular meetings started and membership has only grown from a few infrequent posters to 15 or so regular active members. Plus with our community work we've shown what a difference an active FF can make!

5. JoeRichmondVA

Aug 18, 2006
    Oh you just like the name of the award! Admit it! [face_laugh]

6. JoeRichmondVA

Aug 18, 2006
    Hi all,

Strawbary, our Northeast RSA for Fannforce, has asked if any of us have any of the following figures you would be interested in donating for the the Fanforce Awards. They are looking for the following to match the names of the awards:

R2D2
    C3PO
    Yoda
    Vader
    Luke
    Padme
    Leia
    Han
    Chewie
    Obi wan

If anyone has any of these they wouldn't mind parting with, please let me know. Thanks!

7. James3

James3 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2006
    I will dig through my boxes. I am guessing the 4 inch stuff right?

8. JoeRichmondVA

Aug 18, 2006
    Yes, that is correct.

9. JoeRichmondVA

Aug 18, 2006
    FYI: I have submitted us for the "Luke Award". Here is my submission:

Hi Strawbary,

I would like to nominate the Richmond Fanforce chapter for the "Luke Award". Less than a year ago, the Fanforce here was effectively dead, and had been for quite some time. A few random posts would appear on the forum, and no one in the area met in person. Attempts to meet that were posted on the board were shot down by the current CR. Morale was low, and the clones were moving in...

I was brand new to the Fanforce, my only real exposure to Star Wars fandom was making some custom EL and LED lightsabers. In an attempt to get people actually meeting, a few PMs of shared email addresses enabled us to finally plan a get together in person. It was like those first meetings of the seeds of the Rebel Alliance from the deleted scenes of ROTS. Fearful of being 'caught' and our meeting ideas shot down, we met for clandestine pizza. There were but 5 of us, but it was a start, a new hope. This was at the end of May 2006.

I posted a note about this actual face to face meeting on the boards, which of course was met with some disbelief and anger from the current CR. We did not let this deter us, and planned and posted another meeting for the next month, setting our own monthly schedule for gatherings. Eventually, we as a group enabled a vote for a new CR, and I received this position. We then set a one year election rule, for two reasons. The first was so that we as a group would not get stuck with a non-responsive leader again. The second was so all members would have an opportunity to step up and lead should they want to pursue such a role.

We now have 15 active forum members with anywhere from 8 to 10 members attending our monthly meeting/dinners, plus guests. We have strong ties to the 501st Legion and partnerships with the local 501st Garrison for events. We have relationships with other regional Fanforce chapters, including the Tidewater Alliance and the Hampton Roads Rebellion (including cross posting of events on each others boards). Even good relations with the Wookies have we.

We started collecting food at our monthly meetings to deliver to the Central Virginia Food Bank, and have collected over 150 pounds of food in the last 3 months of 2006. We continue to grow, having added 4 new members since January, and as a group are working in 2007 to have our members gain leadership and planning experience by planning and running the events that they want to have as a group.

We don't have a rigid structure of leadership. There are no presidents, vice presidents, treasurers, or secretary of wars. We use a model of core values such as doing the right thing, trusting and teamwork (we succeed together and take collective responsibility for the success of the group), individual leadership (we are all accountable and decisive leaders, taking action for the benefit of the group), and inclusive meritocracy (we care about one another, value one another's differences, and strive to help each other reach our full potential). We are bound only by these core values, the Fanforce rules, and our fondness for Star Wars.

It is for these reasons I am nominating the Richmond Fanforce chapter for the "Luke Award". As a group, they deserve recognition for succeeding in the face of adversity, and for creating a strong and growing group of equals that has a commitment to each other and to the community they live in.

Joe

10. shabad

Aug 18, 2006
    That is so great Joe, you are an amazing CR! Just reading that made me feel so proud of the RFF, award or not. Thanks everyone for making such a great Star Wars group here in Richmond.

11. James3

Apr 7, 2006
    =D=

That is just incredible! Dude you rock!

12. gloominara_unruli

gloominara_unruli Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 19, 2006
    thats so awesome! i hope that we win the luke award and that Joe gets the padme award.[face_praying]

gloominara

13. Jawanese

Jawanese Jedi Youngling

Sep 20, 2006
    Joe that was wonderful!!!! I didn't even know all of that about FF.

14. JoeRichmondVA

Aug 18, 2006
    That's because you never check the boards ;)

15. Jawanese

Jawanese Jedi Youngling

Sep 20, 2006
    No reason to get an attitude Mr. Big Shot:p ! I check the boards everyday I just don't post much. If it will help I will post everytime I get on just so you have the comfort of knowing that I (unlike my traitor husband)check the boards regularly. ;)

16. JoeRichmondVA

Aug 18, 2006
    Haha! Good because we all like your posts. As for Tony the Traitor (no relation to tony the Tiger),that's why he keeps putting his expensive armor together inside out, and I don't tell him till after it is glued ;)

17. James3

Apr 7, 2006
    [face_laugh]

When in doubt you can just post.

+1 [face_devil]

18. shabad

Aug 18, 2006
    Visiting, posting....

[face_skull]

19. Jawanese

Jawanese Jedi Youngling

Sep 20, 2006
    Okay I was on yesterday 2 times and this is my second time on today as well. Joe please let me know if this is comforting you. Am I meeting standards to stay in the FF? [face_praying]

20. James3

Apr 7, 2006
    [image=http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_roflmfao.gif]

Like I said, when in doubt....

+1[face_devil]

21. JoeRichmondVA

Aug 18, 2006
    Since when did we get standards around here? What did I miss? [face_whistling]

22. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    Join us at the 3rd Annual North East Region FanForce Awards. There will be dinner, door prizes, entertainment, and awards.

When: Saturday, April 28, 2007
    Doors open at 6 PM, buffet dinner is served from 6:30 to 8 PM
    Awards show begins at 7:30 PM
    Where: Monroeville Radisson Hotel, location of Pittsburgh Comicon
    How much: $25 check/money order or $26 Paypal, payment information below
    Admission price includes a lavish buffet, entertainment, and a door prize raffle ticket
    Deadline for ticket purchase is April 20, 2007
    Questions? PM Greencat336

To see a list of the awards and information on submitting nominations go to FanForce Awards

To see photos from last year's fun filled Awards go here

To find out just how much fun the Pittsburgh ComiCon and the North East Region FanForce Awards are, just ask around to the folks who came last year!

Dinner Buffet:
    Fresh Garden Salad
    Southern Fried Chicken
    English Pot Roast
    Baked Ziti
    Chef?s Selection Potato
    Chef's Selection Vegetable
    Rolls and Butter
    Coffee/Hot tea/Iced tea
    Assorted Cakes and Pies

To pay by check or money order $25 per person
    Include your name and the name of each person you are ordering tickets for.
    Make check or money order out to: Star Wars Association of Pittsburgh
    Mail to: Star Wars Association of Pittsburgh
    336 Albert Str Apt 1
    Turtle Creek PA 15145

To pay by Paypal $26 per person (extra charge to cover cost of Paypal)
    In the comment section, include your name and the name of each person you are ordering tickets for
    Send payment to terryvattimo@verizon.net

23. strawbary

strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    Just a reminder that I have not recieved a costumed group photo from Richomond. Are you guys interested in sending one in?
    Does anyone have a fanfilm submission?

Also I am looking for ANY pics of the chapter to include in the slide show....

Please pm me with any questions or concerns

Thanks guys! Hope to see you there!
    If you cant make it there you can video tape a message for us to play at the awards. PM me with questions.

Strawbary

24. strawbary

strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    take a moment to check thru the categories and see what else you want to enter in. There is also a fanfilm category and also a fanfic one. The deadlines for those is March 31st.

:)

Full list of Award Categories

25. JoeRichmondVA

Aug 18, 2006
    Here are some photos you can use:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joerichmondva/397726377/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/joerichmondva/431548431/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/joerichmondva/397726367/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/joerichmondva/361599063/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/joerichmondva/361599059/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/joerichmondva/300947344/