main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pittsburgh, PA 2007 Pittsburgh Comicon planning thread PLEASE READ UPDATED

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by greencat336, Sep 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    Yes, I know it seems early to plan for April, but this is when we started planning last year.

I've talked to Renee George and she is excited to have us at ComiCon again. She's willing to do what we did last year, trading four panels for the table and vendor passes.

We will need folks to commit to doing panels and sitting at the table.

Are we going to do another charity raffle? If so, who is willing to organize this (which is mainly asking around to different folks to get swag for the charity basket. Rox (and fluke?) did it last time, and did a fantastic job).

Although we won't be hosting a huge awards banquet, do we still want to have a FF dinner somewhere Saturday night? If so, anyone interested in organizing that?

I thought it might be interesting to sponsor a fanfilm contest? What do you guys think? That would have to be decided now, so I could discuss it with Renee and get the info up on the Comicon site.

Possible panels. Costuming (yeah BonMothma and MomMaster. We're looking at you for that). Collecting (Dan, any word from the podcasters we had last time?) My Tragedy lecture again. Possible 'FanFilm 101' -- I have someone who might be willing to do this, plus we have folks in the group. Ideas for other panels and volunteers to do them?

A 'lightsaber' building session for young kids. We need to work out the details if we are going to do this, including testing out with actual kids to see if the 'kits' we put together work the way we think they will. I can come up with several kids of varying ages, but someone (not me) needs to organize and run this, if we are doing it.

Have I forgotten anything?

2. TRADMIC

TRADMIC Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 24, 2005
    I will go wherever I'm needed. :)

I'll get together a raffle basket; sounds like fun. Give me an idea of what was in it last year so I know what to get. I have plenty of ideas and contacts for getting stuff.

More ideas as they come. I was a mere spectator at the Comicon last year, so I don't really know much about what gets planned.

3. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    I am going to help with this in just about any way with the exception of gathering donations for the raffle. I was able to convince a grand total of ZERO local stores to contribute last time, so thank goodness Rox was able to get a good amount of stuff. If Rox and/or TRADEMIC want to take control of that, then please do.

I will contact the Podcasting couple who presented at the last Comicon, but if they are not able to make the trip again then I think we should ask the folks from the Pittsburgh Star Wars Collecting Club if anyone there would like to give a collecting presentation. This is the local collecting group that Earthbound Misfit belongs and it would be nice to expand the Pittsburgh Star Wars presence this way.

I thought that a lightsaber building session for kids would be fun after watching some of their ryes light up when seeing the sabers during the SWAP props panel. If we could make it happen then it will be really great! However, we must be realists about it, so holding a test session of sorts with real live kids (and no, we don?t count as kids!) is definitely a good idea. I will definitely help with this panel, but someone who has experience with props would be the ideal organizer. Perhaps this would actually be an area where some local businesses would be willing to donate some parts to help us keep costs down.

We do have experience from making an award winning fan film [insert your own joke here], but I?d say holding a panel hinges on whether we can get someone to commit who knows what they are talking about. As for the contest, how many film entries would we expect to actually have a contest? Should we pick finalists and have a ?celebrity? decide? Should it be limited to just Star Wars? Lot?s of questions on that one. Greencat, I?d say that if you have faith that it could be done successfully, then go ahead and start the planning and let us know what help you need.

Getting together for dinner on Saturday with SWAP and any other Fan Forcers sounds good, but the less formal the better!

I think that the next quarterly meeting (November or early December) is a perfect time to follow up and discuss in person (beyond what is already done on here and beforehand) the Comicon as well as where we stand with C4, the marathon viewing, Lifeday, Boat Race and anything else that will be coming up, if only just to go over what was already talked about on the boards.

4. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I will gladly sit at the table again. I also don't mind getting the charity raffle stuff together again. I had a real nice turnout last year, alot of great people contributed. Tradmic maybe we can come up with a generic vendor letter to send out to the toy companies this year and split up the list? If you have a suggestion on a charity to donate to this year let me know and we can vote on it at the next quarterly meeting.

I can help out on other stuff as need arises. I had a blast last year and def want to make this year bigger and better.

I would really like to look into getting a banner for ourselves this time around rather than the generic FanForce banner. I can look into cost and come back to the club if there aren't any objections?

As for a dinner I wouldn't mind something small and lowkey. A more private, comfortable setting. We should look into booking a private room at one of the local places sooner this year.

5. TRADMIC

TRADMIC Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 24, 2005
    Genreal question: I need to know this both for raffle, boat contest, and especially the movie marathon (I'll tell you all the details of why later on), and the people I've contacted about this are slow in getting back to me.

Does anyone know if FanForce has 501c designation?

The raffle: I just offered because I've done this sort of thing before and also because of my direct affliliation with Ross Twp. Those businesses are kind of obligated to donate when we ask. Moreso if it's something to do with their own community, but at this point they don't even ask, they just give.

To what charity will the raffle money be going? We have to know this before asking for donations.

6. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    No we would need to file on our own FanForce doesn't have the 501c designation as a whole.

Last year we did the Sago Mine Fund so I think this year we might want to choose something different.

7. Stina-Cri

Stina-Cri Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    i'd be up for helping out...this year i should be around a little bit more than last year. I'd sit at the table again and help with panels. As for the planning of it all i was MIA last year when we did this so i have no idea what went on...but as greencat's faithful minion i'm sure you'll find work for me.

8. Fluke_Groundrunner

Jun 1, 2001
    Are you still a film major? If there is a fan film contest perhaps you would be a natural fit to help with that.

9. Plagious

Plagious Jedi Youngling star 1

May 17, 2006
    I am all for helping out in the comicon.

10. BonMothma

BonMothma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2003
    I'd be happy to help with the costuming panel. Anyone interested in helping will be welcome of course. The more the merrier. We expanded beyond SW last year, but it was advertised as SW and the majority of stuff was and probably will be this time, but I'd like to see it advertised as costuming in general. We won't have as many great SW costumes due to the NE dinner not taking place there next year. I hope I have something new to show off by then (I think I will).

I agree with a casual dinner - like Friday's set up but maybe something people can actually find :D

Fan film and collecting - I don't want to get caught up in a desperate situation on either of these. I don't want the group to look foolish for taking on something we aren't best at, so if we don't have someone else do the collecting panel, we shouldn't do it at all. Fan film? I personally have no experience and it looks like this group only has 1 under its belt. Not sure if that's enough to be an expert at it.

Kids lightsaber panel. I'll help, but I'm not good with kids. I'm childless by choice, so I'm not the best person to lead this thing (Although I'm way cool in their eyes when I'm in costume!).

Just my 2 cents.

11. Stina-Cri

May 18, 2002
    i'm a communications major with a film studies minor....and probably a religious studies minor....which has nothing to do with anything....

but yeah i guess i could help with the fan film panel...except i've never actually made a fan film before...

12. MomMaster

MomMaster Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 4, 2006
    Plagious and Killdeer are Youth/Children's Leaders/Teachers at our church. And they particularly love to wear their costumes for the kids!

I would love to be on the costume panel and can have a presentation.

13. Fluke_Groundrunner

Jun 1, 2001
    I just received word from Marjorie and Arnie of Star Wars Action News that they are definately interested in doing the collecting panel again, and they even offered to run more than one panel to allow for more specialized topics. They can also host a panel on podcasting in general.

14. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    w00t! That would be awesome. So can I tell the Georges that we have two tenative panels from them, one on podcasting and one on collecting? When can we get a confirmation from them?

How exciting! Did we ever get them a Pittsbugh FanForce Tshirt or badge??

15. strawbary

strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    actually guys ... *hint hint* our ne regional dinner doesnt have a host for 07 if you want to have it there? [face_devil]
    (usually we hold it in jan - we do gift exchanges, giveaways etc) Syracuse and Rochester have both been hosts in the past.
    however it may just be a tough year to plan anything like that anyhow since its so close to C4. Either way I know I would like to go to comicon again to see you guys!

Dinner or no dinner! Im there dude! Let me know where I can help :)

16. ZeroCool69

ZeroCool69 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 22, 2002
    As always, I am always down for helping out however I can. Although, I can't say your gonna be able to talk me into getting into a suit and Yoda mask again. As soon as we narrow down some dates and what is needed, I'll be able to see how mch time I can take off work and all the like.

17. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
    awww Zero, but you were sooo dashing in your suit and yoda mask [face_love]

18. SuperChill

SuperChill Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 8, 2005
    I will help out as much as possible. Whatever needs done. Raffle, running the stand etc. Let me know.:)

19. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
    have a few things I can toss in for the raffle too ;) no worries.... as it gets closer let me know how much u need. (always happy to clear out my closet)

20. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    Lots of stuff to chat about. Lots of decisions that need to be made.

I've talked to Renee George, she is very enthusiastic about expanding the SW stuff at ComiCon and very willing to work with us. Even letting us have some more vendor passes for the folks coming in to do the panels :) and having on their website an entire section devoted to just what SW activities and guests will be going on. She is also going to have the one room set aside just for SW panels, no sharing with the non-SW folks, so no conflicts with panels running over a bit and us trying to get in and out to set up.

Charitiy Fundraiser Rox and Fluke, what charity are we going to do?

Panels We tenatively have six panels so far.

21. Costumes -- run by BonMothma and MomMaster. My sister Susan may also be able to contribute, with a focus on making children's costumes. If I can talk her into it, we might even divide this up into two panels, one on adult costumes and one on children's costuming

22. Collecting -- Fluke is working on having Arnie and Marjorie from SW Action news back to do this.

23. Podcasting -- Fluke is seeing if Arnie and Marjorie will also do this. A few folks from the Columbus FF also said they would be willing to be on this panel. I told them to talk to Fluke.

24. Custom Figures -- Darth Floyd of Columbus FF said he'd be willing to do this. Those that went to the picnic after COSI may remember the excellent customs he had displayed

25. Tragedy of SW -- repeat from last year, me chatting about PT as Greek Tragedy

26. Basics of Fanfilm -- I haven't yet made contact with my other sister's friend who makes PR films for a living. However, between Tina and the rest of the group, we should be able to do this. It will also make a nice connection with the FanFilm contest

27. Padawan Lightsaber building -- Fluke's lightsaber craft project. I wonder if we could expand this even further by having some other crafts, like paper plate SW masks and coloring SW pics

28. Folks that want to help on panels, say so! Be specific on which ones you want to help with.

Costume Contest A new SW category has been added to the contest!

Fanfilm contest Renee said we could have one of the rooms she has films shown in all day Saturday to show the films. She will provide a 52" screen and DVD player. dlocke is working on coming up with some entry rules, TRADMIC will assist in this project, and I'm hoping Tina will also assist (I haven't talked to her yet, but since she interned for a film festival she seems a natural fit for this) There are some legal issues that need to be ironed out, for example, I'd like to do an enterance fee to cover the prizes, but don't know if we could get away with that. I'm hoping we could, since we aren't making any profit, we are using the money to provide prizes. We'd like to do a fan's choice award, ideally with the entries posted on the internet before the Comicon where people could vote and have them vote at Comicon. More to come on this. If anyone else wants to help, say so!

Tattoo Contest This would take place immediately following Sunday's costume contest. I'm going to talk with American Tattoo, the folks that did my tattoo, to see if they would sponsor the prizes for this, in exchange for advertising on the ComiCon site and at ComiCon. Renee is going to see if some of the SW artists coming to the ComiCon would be willing to be the judges. If so, then SWAP folks could enter (since the Judges would be neutral, and no, I'm not going to enter, as one of the organizers, that doesn't seem kosher to me.).

SW authors as guests I suggested to Renee that in addition to the actors and artists, we include some SW authors and let them do some panels. She's willing to consider the idea, but has no contact info with authors. I figure we could go through Barnes & Noble, which have had SW authors come in, to get the contact info (*grin* and another possible sponsorship) Should we pur

29. BonMothma

BonMothma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2003
    The awards dinner was fun last year. I'd love to do it again.

30. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    I have a good idea for a way to raise money this year. You know those plstic bracelets that Lance Armstrong sells. We could sell those at our table but with some kind of Star Wars line on it along with our group name.

31. GoggledKnight

GoggledKnight Jedi Youngling star 1

May 17, 2005
    "All proceedes go to the Sith Burn Ward"[face_laugh]

32. dlocke

dlocke Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2005
    I dont know what artists they plan on getting, But I think they should try getting Grant Gould

He's done the Topps Star Wars Cards, and was featured on Star Wars.com, plus, He's been a Livejournal friend of mine for 4+years..

33. Stina-Cri

May 18, 2002
    apparently i've been put on a committee...i'm doing something...who the heck is on a committee with me???

someone tell me because I'm doing what chris told me to do but i have no idea what's going on!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.