2007 Pittsburgh Comicon planning thread PLEASE READ UPDATED

Discussion in 'Pittsburgh, PA' started by greencat336, Sep 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuperChill Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I would probably be able to get a sponsor from Jesters Court Tattoo if American doesn't come through for you Chris. Let me know. The owner of Jesters is really into Star Wars and does charity things all the time. I just donated some items from burger king for a charity event he was holding so I'm sure he will return the favor.
  2. TRADMIC FanForce CR and President S.W.A.P FF

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    For the raffle basket:

I was going to choose one of the charities to which I already donate straight out of my paycheck...these are already reviewed and I'm given regular reports of their financial breakdown of funds. I also do work for different charities when it's a couple events a year out of my time.

I always wish I had more time to do volunteer work for Animal Friends. That said, I would like to donate raffle proceeds to Animal Friends of Pgh. if there are no objections.

Here is the charity guide for Animal Friends

Animal Friends Main Site

:D
  3. greencat336 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    *grin* person who organizes the raffle basket gets to pick the charity (that's the way we've always done it in the past.)

Here's the tenative list of panels:

3 Collecting panels, by the nice folks Marjorie and Arnie at www.swactionnews.com, one on Hasbro, one on unusual items, and one with mainly Q&A

Podcasting How to panel, also by the nice folks at www.swactionnews.com

2 Costuming panels, one on adult costuming (MomMaster and BonMothma) and one on children's costuming (by my sister Susan)

2 fanfilm panels, one focusing on machinima by lazer310 and one on quality special effects on a limited budget by Brian Parker of www.parker-productions.com

Custom figures (tenative) by Darth Floyd

Tragedy of Star Wars by Greencat

If anyone has any ideas for any other panels or if they want to volunteer to do a panel, let me know.

Superchill is working on getting sponsorship for a tattoo contest, which will take place after the costume contest. Hopefully, some of the SW artists at the con will agree to judge it.

Fanfilm contest is still up in the air. Still trying to get the rules together and get the OK from Lucasfilm. We do have the okay from the Comicon people to use one of their rooms with a very large tv and dvd for all day Saturday.

NE Fanforce awards will be held again in Pittsburgh on Saturday night. We'll need folks in costume to present and donations for the door prizes.

Friday night social. I still need to talk to the ComiCon folks about us using one of the tv rooms to watch SW flicks, eat snacks and make occasional forays to the hotel bar (for those 21 and older, of course).

We'll also need folks to work the FanForce table all three days. We'll do a sign up sheet when it gets closer to the actual event.
  4. Meriwyn Former RSA

star 4
    I'm actually going to come out for the awards this time as well, so you all better behave! hehehe

Seriously though, I'm looking forward to this. Anything I can do to help let me know.
  5. Stina-Cri Jedi Master

star 4
    i contacted oregon about what they did for their fan film thing...but no response...i'm going to get in touch with some people smarter than me about the legal stuff...do we have rules for the competition yet?

also like i said at fright nights...i'd be up for being leia again and presenting...actually i think i wanna make a leia costume of my very own...i do have the hair after all.
  6. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    I know we offered the awards to NJ at last years awards. They have not responded which is why pittsburgh has offered again to host the awards.
    I will let you all know that there is a discussion in the NE regional forum regarding whether it was offered to anyone else other than you guys.

So, out of extreme fairness I have posted the question if anyone in the NE would like to host the awards. I am also making a deadline of Nov 30th for everyone to decide. I think thats long enough for everyone to discuss the matter with their own chapters.

feel free to post in the NE discussional forum your thoughts on this as well. :)

Awards discussion

7. Stina-Cri Jedi Master

star 4
    hey oregon pmed me back...so if we still want to do a fan film thingy i need rules and all that...unless you want me to write them up myself.
  8. SuperChill Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I still haven't heard anything back from Jesters court concerning sponcership for the tattoo contest.[face_frustrated] I will stop at their shop tomarrow and see what the deal is. If he doesn't give me a for sure yes, then I am going to look into other tattoo places. I really want to make this happen.
  9. Rox Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    My friend Frank owns a tattoo shop in McKees Rocks called 412 tattoo. If Jesters Court doesn't pan out I can give his number if you want to talk to him.
  10. Stina-Cri Jedi Master

star 4
    i know people who know people that have tattoo shops too...

i might be able to help out if nothing else seems to work.
  11. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    ok, deadline has come and gone.. looks like the awards are in pittsburgh again next year if you'll have them again ;)

"YAY!!!!
  12. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    just up'ing this to let everyone know that those who had access to the planning forum last year, you're still in there, planning has begun :)
    Yay!!!!
  13. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    does anyone know if the ballroom is booked again for the FF awards? trying to figure out whats what so I know if I need to book somehitng or not, just got off the phone with the hotel regarding room arrangements. :)

14. Fluke_Groundrunner Force Ghost

star 4
    I think that Terry/Rox is taking care of that, but he doesn't have internet access at the moment so he can't reply. I'll wait to see if greencat knows, and if she isn't sure if the room is booked I will contact Terry to get an update.
  15. TRADMIC FanForce CR and President S.W.A.P FF

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    Spoke to Renee today.

for the kids activity room: there is a 10 X 10 room right off from where the panels were last year. They don't have any child size tables and chairs, so I'll be bringing those. The signs are made, I have masks, coloring pages and activities, materials for lightsabers, and Darth Tater and friends :)

for the social night: We have a room, but not sure about a tv and dvd player yet.

Depending on how many days and performance that Luke Ski will do, that's up in the air, but it doesn't sound like they are interested in paying the airfare all the way from Wisconsin to have him as a guest. I told her I'd work on this, get a definite cost of travel expense from him, and see if anything could be worked out.

16. Professor Moriarty Force Ghost

star 5
    Sorry to be a dimwit, but who the hell is Luke Ski?
  17. greencat336 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  18. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    kids room sounds like a blast! I would be happy to volunteer for any time slots you will be needing to fill in :)

LEt me know if I can donate or bring anything with me to help.

And thanks in advance to anyone who can let me know if the room is set for sat yet. OTherwise I am going to start searching possible venues..... any suggestions on those would be super as well. ) Someplace with large back room :)
    (and good grub of course)

Chris what about that place we went to fri night last year. That room was big we were in... no?
  19. Fluke_Groundrunner Force Ghost

star 4
    I'll try to give Rox a call tomorrow and find out if he contacted the hotel about using the room. If it's available, do you want it to be your first choice, or are you thinking about one of the other locations?
  20. greencat336 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    The room at the hotel that we had the banquet in last year, we have again for this year. I don't know if terry has talked to the hotel about dinner costs yet.

We also have a room at the hotel for the Friday night social (one on the second floor, with a large screen TV and DVD, so we can watch a movie, maybe A Great Disturbance, which is a very funny film)

21. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    chris do u know if we will have the projector again this year? That will determine the style of the show ;)
  22. TRADMIC FanForce CR and President S.W.A.P FF

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    Update:

Dark Horse confirmed that they will donate something for the raffle basket. [face_dancing] I have to email closer to April as a reminder. Other donations are coming along nicely as well.

If we are serious about SWAP shirts, I need someone to get me a logo soon. I'd like to have it on the pamphlets too, but if not I'll just use the banner thing.

:)

23. Sean_Starrider Jedi Master

star 4
    I personally think the Banner symbol would be a great t-shirt. It plays off the sign for steel and has SW flare to it. Props to whoever designed that. :)
  24. Plagious Jedi Knight

star 1
    Ofcourse I will be there and will help out as needed.
  25. TRADMIC FanForce CR and President S.W.A.P FF

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    How bout...say...Saturday SWAP table shift? Visit us in the kids' activity room? ;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.