main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

2007 Visual Effects Oscar Nominees

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by George Mezori SCIFI 3D, Feb 9, 2007.

?

2007 Visual Effects Oscar Nominees

Poll closed Mar 23, 2012.
  1. Mark Stetson - Superman Returns

3.8%
  2. Boyd Shermis - Poseidon

3.8%
  3. John Knoll - Pirates of the Caribbean - ‘Dead Man's Chest'

69.2%
  4. Hal Hickel - Pirates of the Caribbean - ‘Dead Man's Chest'

23.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

George Mezori SCIFI 3D Scifi 3D Forum star 4 VIP

Sep 10, 1999
    <a href=http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=3934&page=1>CGS Article</a>

Mark Stetson - Superman Returns:
    Mark supervised the work of 11 studios: Sony Pictures Imageworks, Framestore CFC, Rhythm & Hues, Rising Sun Pictures, The Orphanage, Photon VFX, Frantic Films, Lola Visual Effects, Pixel Liberation Front, Eden FX, and New Deal Studios, all of which had a hand in bringing home the nomination.

Boyd Shermis - Poseidon:
    In addition to the Oscar nomination this year for ?Poseidon,? he, Rhonda C. Gunner, Kim Libreri, and Philippe Rebours were nominated for a VES Award for Best Single Visual Effect of the Year for the opening sequence in ?Poseidon.? In that sequence, the camera closely follows Josh Lucas as he jogs around a photorealistic digital model of the Poseidon.

John Knoll - Pirates of the Caribbean - ?Dead Man's Chest'
    Industrial Light & Magic handled most of the visual effects for ?Pirates? under Knoll?s supervision. In addition, several other studios helped out: Asylum, The Orphanage, CIS Hollywood, Evil Eye Pictures, Gentle Giant Studios, Pacific Title & Art Studio, Method, Proof, and Tippett Studio.

Hal Hickel - Pirates of the Caribbean - ?Dead Man's Chest'
    Joined ILM in 1996 to work as an animator on ?Lost World: Jurassic Park.? In 2001, he became animation supervisor for ?Artificial Intelligence: AI? and continued in that role for ?Star Wars: Episode II ? Attack of the Clones,? ?Dreamcatcher,? and both ?Pirates? films. He, too, points to Davy Jones as the most visible aspect of ?Pirates?.

2. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

George Mezori SCIFI 3D Scifi 3D Forum star 4 VIP

Sep 10, 1999
    Pirates was definitely the winner for visual effects. I voted for John Knoll just b/c he was in charge of all visual effects. But Hal was the animation supervisor and did a helluva job on Davey Jones. Excellent work.

3. darthviper107

darthviper107 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    Pirates, definitely.

The first time in years that people have actually been fooled into thinking Davey Jones was real for some part. Superman Returns was nice but not as good as Pirates.

4. DarthRicmu

DarthRicmu Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 3, 2005
    Yep Pirates for the Win!!!

It was really looking good :)

5. UWN

UWN Jedi Youngling

Jun 21, 2005

I would say Poseidon, because the water was very impressive, and i think CGI water is one of the hardest CG elements to create. The way they mixed other elements, such as fire is fantastic.

Not sure if you guys have visited this website, but its amazing, so if you havent you must.
    http://www.scanlinevfx.com/index.html

Matt

6. JeneralJarJar

JeneralJarJar Jedi Master star 1

May 1, 2003
    I think Superman had the biggest range of work, but Davey Jones was just fantastic. I hope John Knoll finally gets his oscar.

7. fireresq7

fireresq7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2002
    Yeah Pirates looked alot more realistic than Superman. Sorry but superman just looked real fake at times. Coulda done muuuuuuch better.
    ~Rory

8. Kchr1ss

Kchr1ss Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 24, 2005

And Pirates of The Carribean got the award :).

Dude i think Superman vfx were well down, just the whole idea of superman isnt that great.

9. darthviper107

darthviper107 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    The biggest problem I had with superman was that sometime when he lifted things up it didn't look like it would have been possible to lift the object in that place. I doubt even with his strength that he could balance the big rock from where he was, or lift up the bout from that edge. And sometimes he looked fake.

10. JeneralJarJar

JeneralJarJar Jedi Master star 1

May 1, 2003
    Yeah, but that's getting into the story and away from VFX. Superman suffered more from what most films do these days: poor compositing. Pirates too, during the Kracken sequences.

=D= for John Knoll and crew.

11. HowardFilms

HowardFilms Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2005
    ...well, I believed a man could fly [face_peace]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.