main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

2008 Costume Projects

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by BurntTheMacaroni, Jan 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BurntTheMacaroni

BurntTheMacaroni Jedi Knight star 3

May 16, 2005
    Alright guys! It's a new year, so time for new costumes!

This year i plan on tackling quite a few..

Currently i am working on David Bowie's "Earthling" jacket. Boy has it been giving me nightmares :oops:. I'm also working on my X-wing pilot(finally!!!)

So what is everyone else working on?

2. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Yay! You were the one to post this year's thread, Sissy! :D

The only costume I'm planning for this year is my fifth version of the Pastel Gown. Once I get that out of the way, I'll plan other costumes! :D

~Spacelady

3. morgan-aleghieri

morgan-aleghieri Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    Oh woo - I love making lists :)

This year I will endeavour to fix up my Jan Ors costume so that it's actually up to a decent finished standard so I can subit it to the RL for membership (yay for impending first Australian Outpost)... Maybe. Failing that, I'll finish my generic jedi.

Non SW costumes, I'll probably be doing several Romana II costumes from Doctor Who (her dress from Shada, and her outfit from Destiny of the Daleks, to name two), Yurika from Martian Successor Nadesico and Inara from Firefly's Shindig dress (fun!).

4. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    2007 had been very unproductive for me in term of Costuming :_| (only completed 1 costume with many 1/2 way done) so hope this year will be better, especially with so many movies I love coming out.

Anyway, here's my list of Costumes to be completed or started this year:

1.ROTJ Biker Scout Armor
    Been at it for over a year :oops: due to lack of funds, skills etc so hope to finish it once and for all early this year. Still need to make the Cummuband and Boots myself and get someone to help me fix the Tank, drill bigger holes for Elastic Band at the sides, Fix the helmet together, trim the Thigh boxes (am aiming for Lancer Status since I am already on the way) and Rivet the belt.
    My Current Project & promise myself that I can't make other costumes (with the exception of those being tailored out) until I finish this one.

2. STARDUST Yvaine Star Gown
    Everything is ready to go out to the Seamstress months now except I haven't draw out the dress design. Will get to it soon.

3. GALAXY ANGELS BETA Chitose
    For a Cosplay Event this July as part of a team. This Costume might also mark my official retirement from Cosplay tho' I might still do a Anime/Manga Costume here and there (mostly old projects which I already got the cloths at hand) but not call it Cosplay.

4. LOTR Prologue Elven Warrior OR Galadhrim Elven Archer OR Ithilien Ranger
    For a Costume Event, WCG-Coscon in August as part of the LOTR Group I am forming to enter the Group Competition. Will attempt to complete my ongoing Galadhrim Armor, if not start on the Prologue Warrior or if all fails and got a month to go, do the Ithilien Ranger.

5. PRINCE CASPIAN Lucy Costumes
    Am doing both her Red Dress and School Uniform for the Movie Premiere and Release in May, for both in Singapore and Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (as PC is coming out 2 weeks later in Singapore while KL getting it a day earlier than US). Will be part of a different groups in Singapore and Malaysia. Am in the research stage now for the School Uniform.

6. ROTS Padme Medical Gown
    Got the cloths, got the pattern and just need to make it one fine day.

7. ROTS Padme Steel Blue Nightgown
    Got the cloth at hand as I purchase the wrong amount for the lining of my Padme Snow Bunny Cloak years ago. Now just need to modify the McCall's pattern to have the seams on the front and make it.
    Might also make a simplified version of her AOTC Nightgown Robe, probably using Panne Velvet as I don't wear anything sleevesless in public.

8. ROTJ Luke Skywalker Tatooine Outfit
    Suddenly have the urge again to do this outfit. Been wanting to do this outfit since I first started costuming 8 years ago, especially that I discovered I can also use part of it for Dark Forces Yun and DE Luke. Will only get it done later this year or when I got money to spare as it'll be tailored out.

9. HARRY POTTER Hufflepuff School Robe
    Just need to finalize the new pattern for the Color Facing-Hood and do it way before the next movie release this November. Then the moment Whimsic Alley have a major sale on their Cardigan, buy the Hufflepuff one.
    This costume will probably be worn by a group member for public events (as I'm a Slytherin at heart) and myself at private photoshoot.

10. HARRY POTTER School Cloak
    I had actually done 1/2 of it last year, during the rush to complete my Ravenclaw Robe for OotP Movie Release. But I made the mistake of getting insufficient cloth (suppose to get 6m but I gotten 3 :oops:) for the Full-Circle Pattern. And when I want to get more for my Hufflepuff Robe and the other 1/2 of this Cloak, the shop ran out of the cloth so am waiting for new stocks to arrive.

Other than that, I got several other costumes to finish or start on but am taking it one at a time and when the mood to do it comes. :p

5. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    I've only got two on my list this year, but they're likely to take me until Dragon*Con to finish. One is a historical period costume and the other is Padme's ROTS velvet "I'm pregnant" cloak with navy blue linen dress worn underneath. Basically, I just want an excuse to wear my hair in those buns, so I have to make two of her costumes to go with them! tee-hee. :)

6. AramysStrael

AramysStrael Jedi Master star 4

Mar 9, 2004
    Currently, just my CorSec, Imperial Commando (Storm Commando)are that is in the que (so to speak). The Rebel Officer and Jedi are on the list for this year to be finished.

But I may do a custom Mando, Rebel Pilot (or the pilots dress uniform) this year. I think I would like to (if time permits) finish the last details to my Cobra blue soldier costume, Clone Trooper and the Rebel Commando...

I am very seriously considering doing the Rebel Fleet Trooper and the Imperial Navy Fleet Trooper, but I am not sure if it will be done this year, either. I do know that I need to repair my TIE PILOT armor and get a new helmet.

- Bill

7. Takianna

Takianna Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    Well I'm keeping it very simple this year since I haven't really completed anything recently. I have costume attention disorder (hee hee). I have great intentions and then nothing. So I'm not setting the bar very high.

I will be doing:

? Queen of Hearts ( I like the idea because I can use my imagination to do about anything that I want)

That is about it except helping my mother with Aladdin costumes for the play she is doing at a local high school and helping a Star Trek group with some custom costumes. So I'm hoping not to put to much pressure on myself and have the Queen of Hearts done by Halloween.

Here's to another year of slacking!

8. gofasterstrawberry

gofasterstrawberry Jedi Youngling

Sep 5, 2007
    hmm...i'm keeping the list fairly short this year too, I'm working on the Padme Pink/Purple diamonds dress from clone wars, and I'm thinking about doing some major surgery on an imperial officer uniform I made for a friend a few years ago, he was much more....manly..than myself, so i'm not sure what can be done...but i hate for it to go to waste!

i'm also working on a captain nemo, the cowardly lion, and a couple others that are still in the development phase...we'll see...i can't wait to see what everyone puts together this year!

9. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Even with C4 my only SW costume last year was a last minute custom handmaiden. The only other things I did was Arwen's coronation gown for myself and a gown inspired by Eowyn's funeral gown for my aunt when she celebrated her 50th birthday with a LOTR-party. Still I must say I was very satisfied with both those gowns. This year I'm hoping to do at least one new good SW costume, I'm hoping for a new handmaiden costume and/or a OT pilot.

10. Annya_Latoure2

Annya_Latoure2 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2003
    Check on www.bikerscout.net great reference pictures and peeps who do costume parts if you find that you just can't get the soft parts right.

11. Kelldar

Kelldar Jedi Youngling

Sep 6, 2003
    just copying & pasting this from another forum :) glad this topic got made! :)
    This is what I'd *like* to do this year, but whether I get even half of this done is anybody's guess! (Getting married in April, plus buying a house/moving, so I dunno how much sewing I'm going to get done!)

Leia's Bespin Gown
    Leia's Jedi Outfit
    Padme's blue Tatooine outfit
    Belle's Green "library" dress (Beauty and the Beast)
    Remake of my Belle ballgown
    Sleeping Beauty
    Giselle's pink dress
    Glinda
    Scarlet Witch
    Starfire
    a new Wonder Woman
    plus finish my Padme sleepless knights gown, Polychrome, Lois Lane and team Zissou costumes I've had sitting around for over a year (in some cases, 2 years!)

12. Orliaan-Nabberie

Orliaan-Nabberie Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 17, 2005
    Really inconsistent with previous posts, but here's my list:

What I'd Like To Finish:
    -Elizabeth Swann nightgown and robe redo
    -Padme dressing gown
    -Rose "Swim" gown
    -Ann Darrow island slip and wrap
    -Dorothy gingham dress
    -Padme steel blue nightgown
    -Padme Mustafar top and sleeves

What I'd Really Like To Start:
    -Giselle aqua dress
    -Giselle pink (animated) dress
    -Elizabeth Swann gold dress (have the pattern and the fabric; just need motivation!)
    -Elizabeth Swann corset
    -Several historical costumes
    -Leia Classic White redo
    -Elizabeth Swann burgundy dress redo
    -Mrs. Lovett blue stripe dress

Call me overambitious...

13. Last_Chael

Last_Chael Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 25, 2006
    Woo! Love these threads!

It strange, this year I have 3 cons at the start of the year (April, May and June) and then practically nothing costume related for the rest of the year (just a costume themed birthday party). Which is actually great as it will give me time to work on cool projects! So here goes:

Costumes for Cons/events
    - Remake Rose Tyler Idiot's lantern dress (Feb)
    - Pirate and Jedi comissions (mockup done for Feb and costumes finished soon after)
    - Finish my Terry Dodson version WW (April)
    - Animated Donna Troy (April)
    - Kaylee Shindig dress (April)
    - Batman Cape (comission for April)
    - Custom Mandolorian Cape (Based on Elven cape - April)
    - Finish Dr Fraiser (Stargate - for May)
    - Giselle's 'Curtain' dress (June)
    - Prince Edward (June)
    - 501st scheme Clone trooper (preferably for April)

General costumes
    - Hellgate Female Templar armour (Avalon)
    - Giselle's Wedding dress
    - Ceremonial Leia (got the fabric already)
    - Ewok Village Leia (got the fabric)
    - Start work on Picnic Padme and Bespin Leia embroidery
    - Matt's ep 2 Anakin
    - various 40's & 50's outfits for general day wear :p

If I have time costumes
    - Electra (comic book version)
    - Disney's Snow White

Though I'm sure that I'll have other things crop up during the year! But I'm really looking forward to this year, as I hope it's going to be a bit of a break year and give me time to work on my own projects. :D

14. SLippe

SLippe Jedi Youngling

Nov 7, 2007
    Just my Darth Vader costume. Only one I ever really plan on doing. I don't make/have a lot of money, but hopefully I'll have it where I want it to be by Halloween, if not sooner. Can't wait for new pics of everyone's costumes to start showing up. Good luck to everyone!

15. starfire-phoenix

starfire-phoenix Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 2, 2004
    Glad to see it's on your list ;) I thought it was finished though? What do you need for it?

I'm still working on my list for this year, but these are some of the things I am hoping to get done:

- Remake Leia Ceremonial dress
    - ANH Leia (nearly finished)
    - Padme Brown Sleeveless
    - Stargate Atlantis uniform

I'm also making for my fiance, _Master-Skywalker_

- Luke RotJ black leather belt
    - 2 different jedi belts

There are some other bits and pieces as well. My list hasn't been finalised just yet. I have a few more things I hope to get done but it depends on if I can find suitable fabric and how much time I have.

16. morgan-aleghieri

morgan-aleghieri Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    It's mostly finished - I want to make new chaps for Jan, and she has these leg things that I didn't have last year cause I ran out of time to sew that morning and just wore my knee high boots instead of the shoes I have for it... She also has a robotic hand, so I have to figure out something less temporary for that one. I want to paint and mod the welders goggles I got for the costume (or find better goggles), and one of these days I'll have to get one of the boys to help me mod my DH-17 nerf gun so it actually looks decent (which will entail taking the entire thing to pieces). Then I'll just need a Kyle Katarn and a Mouldy Crow plushie for photo ops and I'll be set. ;)

... Jedi outfit as of the moment I only have the linen tunic I made last year... One would have thought in the intervening period since Brisnova I should have been able to whip up some pants, tabards and an obi [face_blush] Soo slack...

17. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Heeheee....I am being cheapskate actually :p as I get to the other parts like the softparts. The armor already cost me a bomb (well, to me) so am trying not to let the other parts cost too much. My friends did tell me to just send the Cummerbund to our tailor like they did but since the design is simple and I have lots of free time, I just refused and that anal part of me insisted on doing mock-ups and proper patterns first. Add to that the fact that our 1st Scout (a guy) did it himself 2-3 time so me who suppose to be able to sew much better than him shouldn't give in to outsourcing a simple part right? Anyway, too risky for me to order online for clothings as I'm fat, short and disproportion and I live in Singapore.

Guess my main problem is that I hardly have any Props Making Skill and no tools so have to depend on the guys here to help me fix together the armor parts that needed to be drilled or glued together.

And yes, I am a part of the Bikerscout Forum and had been there for some time ;) tho' I hardly talk there as some things are just too straight forward and had been answered previously in the Forum or from SC's Tutorial (ya, I finally found a picture of the Vest). Moreover, I forsee that in order for me to finally reach the Lancer Status, I will have to do a new Jumpsuit as now it's kinda too late to put those Suede/Velvet parts on my current tailored Jumpsuit and I overdid the pockets parts. [face_laugh] Am also planning to send the Vest to my seamstress so that's where even more money are going to before I even finish this project.

Btw, this Scout Armor has became my most expansive Costume/Armor the moment I hit the purchase button and it is still increasing even tho' I have barely complete 50% of it. Even my TIE Pilot Costume is barely 1/2 the amount I paid for my Scout. [face_hypnotized]

18. DARTHLARS

DARTHLARS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
  19. Continue upgrading my Jedi costume. This includes an alien headpiece that is on my "really wanna do"-list, but my funds and abilities have been lacking so far.

20. X-wing Pilot. Me and another guy in my Rebel Legion outpost, but I'll be doing most of the sewing for both of us.

22. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Am adding some more costumes to my list:

Padme's Pastel Gown (5th version)
    Rukia Soul Reaper Outfit (from Bleach)
    Sango's Fighting Outfit (from Inuyasha)
    Kagura's Green Dress (from Fruits Basket)
    Gentle Giant's Figure of Leia (Aka my current icon :D )

For my boyfriend:
    Ichigo's Soul Reaper Outfit (Bleach)
    Miroku's Outfit (Inuyasha)
    Shigure's Robe (Fruits Basket)

I'd also like to finish his Sith robes too. We've been thinking about going to Fanime Convention up in San Jose (I believe that's where it is) in May, but we'll see. It's a long way to drive and we might not have enough money. :p

~Spacelady

23. Sevv

Sevv Jedi Master star 2

Sep 7, 2003
    Looking to finish my ESB Darth Vader... taking a while but slowly getting there. Cant wait to get it finished!

24. Amrita_Glittersong

Amrita_Glittersong Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 30, 2007
    Since my budget is tight this year (:_| ) I'm only planning a few costumes.

Star Wars
    Flame Handmaiden Gown - I've been wanting to make one of these since I first started costuming. They're well recognized, seem easy enough (aside from the dying part) and look comfortable. And crushed velvet isn't too expensive. :p

Cosplay
    Mai Kujaku from Yuugiou - Simple costume, but fun and cute and it'll be recognized at the big gaming con I'm going to in August.
    Isis Ishtar from Yuugiou - Really pretty and also relatively simple, and I've wanted to cosplay as her for a long time.

Misc
    Moulin Rouge!-style courtesan/cancan girl - I designed this costume last year; it doesn't seem too complicated aside from the corset. [face_hypnotized] But I need practice before I do Padme's corset gown eventually. And I convinced my mom and her friend to go as cancan girls this next Halloween with me. :p

25. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    - Finish up X-Wing
    - Imperial Royal Guard
    - New Jedi? Maybe?
    - Flame Handmaiden v2.0 (to fix everything that went wrong with the first one)
    - Arwen Requiem v2.0 (maybe)

26. Falls_the_Shadow

Falls_the_Shadow Jedi Youngling star 3

May 31, 2002
    Goal: At least one good outfit meeting Rebel Legion standards in time for DragonCon.
    Listed in order of progress.

ROTS Senator Bana Breemu (deleted scene): Found burnout velvet the hood and cape in the same pattern and same shades of purple and gray. Have the amethyst stones for necklace. Gown is a real-world formal gown pattern. Have fabric swatches for the silk.

ROTS Padmé Blue Dressing Gown: Have robe fabric, have placed order for trim, still debating about the lace underlay.

Costumes to Start in 2008 for Celebration V:
    TPM Amidala Post-Senate Black Coruscant Costume: have the black poodle knit fabric for the outer gown and black velveteen for the beaded motifs. Have counted out the beads for the motifs and found a supplier for the gold flat thread. Bonus: I intend to make the mock-up in white so I can use it as a ATOC Cordé outfit.

ATOC Padmé Meadow Picnic gown:
    have shawl fabric and skirt fabric, pattern for corset, cable ties and cotton drill for undercorset and already have crochet snoods from Lady McSnood.

ROTS Queen Apailana of Naboo: Not same pattern, but I did find and scoop up 54inch textured silver lame at $2 per yard. The headgear will be the most daunting of this outfit.

ROTS Padmé Water Gown
    version 2.0 as the first for CIV was a quick version using a water-print quilt fabric for the overrobe.

27. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001
    Finally going to get around to doing a stormtrooper costume, complete with mics in the front of the helmet. The plan is to have it done by SW FAn Days in October. With everything in Darth RL, we'll see how far that gets. Of course, if I were to suddenly come into a large financial windfall, I'd love to get my Darth Vader ep VI with full reveal helmet started and finished this year, but that'll never happen.

28. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    2007 was a kind of slow year for me, but I did do a lot of little non-costumed projects :)

Imperial Officer - ID 5286
    Imperial Officer - ID 5287 (my Husband)
    [image=http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/costumes/completed/imperialofficer/websize/501%20Gallery.jpg] [image=http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/costumes/completed/imperialofficer/websize/IMG_40683.JPG]

ANH Princess Leia Senate Dress
    [image=http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/costumes/completed/anhleia/websize/R2%2014.jpg]

Opera Twilek - Koyi Mateil
    [image=http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/costumes/completed/topsecrettwilekkoyikomad/large/C4%20Twilek%20Front.jpg] [image=http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/costumes/completed/topsecrettwilekkoyikomad/large/C4%20Twliek%20Sit.jpg]

Can-Can Dancer - Madame Zircon
    [image=http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/costumes/completed/madamezircon/large/Zircon%20Wall%2001.jpg] [image=http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/costumes/completed/madamezircon/large/Zircon%20Cool.jpg]

Jedi Costume for a Friend - I can't remember the Jedi's name though
    [image=http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/costumes/friends/websize/IMG_41691.JPG]

Padme Picnic Brooch
    [image=http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/costumes/completed/picnicdress/websize/My%20Brooch%2002.jpg] [image=http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/costumes/completed/picnicdress/websize/My%20Brooch%2001.jpg]

Shoe Clips
    [image=http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/costumes/realclothing/littleprojects/websize/Shoes%2001.jpg]

Jewelry and Accessories
    [image=http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/costumes/realclothing/jewelryandsuch/large/IMG_4438.JPG]
    I made the belt and clutch

Rhinestone Blingy Star Wars Tees (My favorite non-costume project)
    [image=http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/costumes/realclothing/jewelryandsuch/large/IMG_46381.JPG] [image=http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/costumes/realclothing/jewelryandsuch/large/IMG_46351.JPG]

For 2008...
    Super Girl
    Sweeney Todd - Mrs Lovett
    Sweeney Todd
    Ewok Village Leia
    Finish Tatooine Poncho and Dress
    Upgrading accessories for the Picnic Dress (ribbons, hair, etc.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.