main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

2008 Costume Projects

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by BurntTheMacaroni, Jan 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Last_Chael

Last_Chael Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 25, 2006
    I really love the idea of silk velvet, but I also really love the look of the Disneyland Snow White. I think she's got about 3 or 4 petticoats to help her skirt stand out beautifully! :D IT's jsut so pretty! So I'm torn between having a beautiful flowy skirt (ala picnic dress) and the typical princess skirt with lots of volume and petticoats! :D I might have to go back and look at the movie to decide!

But either way, I'm going to go with more of a gold for the skirt rather than the bright yellow!! I'm also thinking of making the bodice out of velvet, even if I make the skirt out of delustered satin, because I think it looks beautiful!! :D

Decisions! Decisions!!

2. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Last_Chael, have you ever seen this website? It's got tons of pictures of Snow White (and all the other characters at Disneyland). I love looking through them all since I live so far away from the park now and don't get to go as often. *sigh* Anyway, it's great to see all the costumes and the photographer does an excellent job! :)

http://www.disneycastmagic.com/

Hey, did you ever post pictures of the Snow White you made last year? I'd love to see it! :)

3. BurntTheMacaroni

BurntTheMacaroni Jedi Knight star 3

May 16, 2005
    Alright... I knew this was bound to happen. I have another thing to add to my list

Today i was curious and put on my Glinda the Good gown. Anddd guess what. I could put it on myself. Whats the big deal? Before i was corseted and had a friend zipping me up because i couldnt do it myself. Needless to say, i've lost weight.

Sooooo.. Here's my plan. Im taking it apart.. I know i know. INSANE. Im going to make the bodice a separate piece from the skirt, this way, if i lose weight again, adjustments will be easy. I'm going to be boning the bodice, and saying bye bye to the corset. I dont need it anymore really, i have a fantastic shape :)

Im also adding more petals to the skirt to give it more poof.

So yea, look for the revamped Glinda at D*Con! Let's hope i dont get stuck in an escalator again

4. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000

Note: Britt's website shows pictures of all the Disneyland costumes, which as amazing as they are, usually are done up to be more "shiney." :p

Though I'd love to have access to that costume shop...

5. luminousbeing78

luminousbeing78 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 9, 2005
    Good luck with your re-vamped Glinda the Good!!!! It is such a cool dress! No immediate costuming plans here, but I have been tinkering with a Padme concept gown. I can't begin the gown, though, until well after the baby is born and I get back into shape. In the meantime I'll probably start the headpiece and any jewelry/accessories that I may need. It'll give me a good excuse to get eyeball deep in beads and crystals and metals and what-not. Mmmmmm...:)

6. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I've never really liked the patterned fabric they are using for Cinderella's gown. But it does look shiny in pictures. :)

BurntTheMacaroni, that's great! The redo will be worth it. :D

7. Last_Chael

Feb 25, 2006
    I adore that website!! I love surfing around it looking at all the pretty costumes! :D I would love to eventually get over to the US and hope to make it to Disneyland :D Although I must admit, I'm not a big fan of their Giselle! The costume is beautiful, but the girl in it!! Iiick!

I'm pretty sure I did, but I can link you to some :D I actually thought I had more online, but hopefully these are enough :D Here's the link to my photobucket. Hope you like them! :D The vest was such a pain (had to handbaste everything!) but I absolutely love it, and have worn it with a few other costumes!

8. Jauhzmynn

Jauhzmynn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    I forgot some costumes.

Stargate unis: Have all peices,

Star treK: Enterprise(prequeal) BLue jump suit
    Star Trek: Movies-2-4 "Monster Maroon Uniform. (Maroon wool jacket w/ black pants/boots)
    Star Trek: Klingon. have the uniform, need the ridges

Babylon 5: Army of Light uniform.
    B-5 Minbari Ranger and or a Minbari.

9. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    I had a busy year last year:

Completed:

- Satine Hindi Sad Diamonds - reasonable facsimile for All-Con shadowcast
    - Satine Peignoir - reasonable facsimile for All-Con shadowcast
    - Satine Black Diamonds - reasonable facsimile for All-Con shadowcast
    - Classic ANH Leia - reasonable facsimile (unaltered Simplicity pattern except larger hood) for CIV
    - Phantom Menace Handmaiden from final parade scene for CIV
    - Luke Ceremonial jacket for a commission for CIV
    - Chef Gormaanda for a commission for CIV
    - Satine Oriental gown for D*C but didn't end up bringing it
    - Pearly Queen can-can for D*C
    - Novice Hame (Doctor Who character) for D*C

List for 2008:

- Kassia - Doctor Who character from 70's Tom Baker episode "The Keeper of Traken"
    - Nini Legs in the Air Hindi finale costume from Moulin Rouge (she's second from right)
    - secret Moulin Rouge costume
    - Down With Love jacket to complete the pink dress
    - secret group costume for D*C

Just keep sewing, sewing, sewing!

10. morgan-aleghieri

morgan-aleghieri Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    You're doing a Kassia costume? That's so awesome :D One of these days I want to make Nyssa's outfit from Arc of Infinity (as well as Councillor Thallia's outfit - it's lovely once you remove the Time Lord collar).

11. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Last_Chael, your Snow White is lovely! :)

Sola, how did I miss your Novice Hame costume? That totally rocks!
    I can't wait to see your Hindi Nini!

12. Sister_Sola

Nov 19, 2002
    Well I was only in it for about 2 hours on Saturday morning at D*C for the parade. I'd been up reeeeallly late (like till 5:30am) and then couldn't get to sleep for the hour and a half before I'd have to get up and start doing the makeup to be in time for the parade, so I just stayed up and did the makeup and costume on and went to the parade, and then faded/crashed at 11am and went to sleep all day - which would be why I missed you guys calling that day LOL ;)

13. StarFromIHJ

StarFromIHJ Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2002
    Last year was sort of sucessful. I put together a Kim Possible costume and two Harry Potter costumes (pink hoodie Hermione from POA and generic Ravenclaw student).

This year I plan on doing
    - Cortana as she appears in Halo 3
    - A Battlestar Galactica costume (hopefully Cally)
    - And a secret costume inspired by one of the worlds on Doctor Who
    -Possibly Amber Von Tussle if the others in the group do do a group Hairspray costume

14. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    You know, after the interview my friend did concerning my interpretation of what differ Costuming from Cosplaying here in Singapore and the reason why I'm planning to retire from Cosplaying after just 5+ years on-off into it, I love the fact that we Costumers dun mind doing "background" or "Misc" characters and even encourage each other to do it. ;)

Even those in the background have their story and their costume are also relatively detailed. :D

15. Sister_Sola

Nov 19, 2002
    I totally agree Darth_Eagle :D

And Hindi Nini is not even the most obscure one I've done so far - at least Nini has speaking lines in the movie; I also did a costume of one of the other can-can girl's unknown costume from a tiny 3 second moment that no one notices LOL ;)

16. jedilucass

jedilucass Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2002
    I haven't been here in forever....

2007 I did a re-do of the parade gown dress. that's about it.

2008 plans:
    -toga (done already for a toga party two weeks ago)

-black corset gown from episode two (boning, undercorset fabric bought. Lace found)

-re-do of sleeveless costume (leggings found, boots found, just need fabric)

-cover up for black corset gown for skit in april

that's it for the moment. Possible additions could be:

-Lucy's "Good n' Evil" costume from Jeckyll and Hyde starring David Hasselhoff

-another version of the pastel lake gown

that's about it. I'm slowly working my way back into costuming after a few years of not doing much.

~Laura

17. LadySythe

LadySythe Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 17, 2005
    God... Another year, another round of "what's my costume gonna be this year?" lol

I'd be working on a Darth Revan (for 501st membership requirement) or continuing on my Darth Nihilus inspired costume...but I'm in my first year of college and it's sucking up every last dollar I got *sigh* But come summer...I foresee the purchase of some costume gear! :D Honestly, I hope to finally get at least the Nihilus inspired costume done since I've got the mask started (mine has Darth Maul-ish horns!), I've got a massive hooded black cloak which needs to be adjusted and lined...after getting it somehow back to the US since it's in my Dutch friend's current possession; finish putting my corset and such together...start working on the gauntlets and...and...

*sigh*

School first, play later

*pout*

Drat! Need...lightsaber parts... *starts shopping list*

Oh...and find out when SW Celebration is gonna be in LA... *adds to list*

:_| [face_hypnotized]

18. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Today I got a green coverall, so now I've officially started on making an A-wing pilot costume. I also like the fact that when I've finished adjusting the coverall I can use it as a Jaina Solo From the Dark Nest trilogy.

19. Last_Chael

Feb 25, 2006
    Well as happens, my plans have changed, and thus my costume plans have changed too :p So my current plans are:
    - Pirate and Jedi comissions (mockup done for Feb and costumes finished soon after)
    - Finish my Terry Dodson version WW (April)
    - Animated Donna Troy (April)
    - Kaylee Shindig dress (April)
    - Custom Mandolorian Cape (Based on Elven cape - April)
    - Fix up my Victorian Bustle Dress overskirt (May)
    - Giselle's Animated dress (June?)
    - Giselle's 'Curtain' dress (June)
    - Hellgate Female Templar armour (Avalon)
    - Giselle's Wedding dress
    - Ceremonial Leia (got the fabric already)
    - Ewok Village Leia (got the fabric)
    - Start work on Picnic Padme
    - various 40's & 50's outfits for general day wear :p
    - Fix up Padme's black corset dinner gown

I'm trying to be more realistic about what I can manage in a year :p

20. Aramoorn

Aramoorn Jedi Youngling

Mar 24, 2007
    for me I'm finally working on my jedi costume. I found boots, but they came in black so I may just save them for an imperial fighter costume for later this year.

21. jedilucass

jedilucass Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2002
    add the green atonement dress to my to-do list. have patterns bought, thinking of fabric choices, and I start work this weekend, hopefully. It's due date isn't till May, but I'd like it for April... lots and lots of alterations to get the fit right, I see in my future. :_|

22. Cara_Undercover_Jedi

Cara_Undercover_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2006
    I've got a relatively SHORT list of what I want to do this year. Besides sewing half a dosen generic Jedi and Youngling outfits for a FanFilm, I'd like to at least start:

-Episode III Geonosis Padme' (before she was scratched; people would cry if I showed tummy, LOL)
    -Endor Leia (the speeder bike outfit)
    -updating my Sarissa Jeng costume; new surcoat, boots, and pouches
    -some sort of Jaina Solo outfit; probably the black jumpsuit or the generic flightsuit.

I have no idea how to go about the first one. Local fabric stores are REALLY limited.

23. Independence1776

Independence1776 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2006
    Last year, I mostly completed my Jedi costume.

This year, I'm going to finish it. All I really need to do is work on the belt, but it means everything about the belt. I may need to redo my obi as well, since it's slightly loose, but that would just involve moving the hook-and-eyes farther back. Or I might make a new one and add interfacing so it's sturdier.

I may also make an ankle-length cloak, just to wear around. Problem is, I don't have a sewing machine or even really know how to sew. (Though I suppose I could do it by hand. *shudders*)

24. BurntTheMacaroni

BurntTheMacaroni Jedi Knight star 3

May 16, 2005
    Two off my list! hehe

Finished the Bowie "Earthling" jacket
    [image=http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2222/2272202561_5abd9f631f_b.jpg]

And Jysella Horn
    [image=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3113/2299545554_341e0c0272_b.jpg]

25. AramysStrael

AramysStrael Jedi Master star 4

Mar 9, 2004
    Awesome, Ashley, well done!