main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

2008 Costume Projects

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by BurntTheMacaroni, Jan 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JennFaereality

JennFaereality Jedi Youngling

Feb 28, 2008
    Hey guys! I'm new to this forum... just thought I'd say hello to everyone first. I've been to these forums several times, although haven't really posted much before. I love seeing all of your posts about your costumes and such... and seeing the photos... it's all very inspiring. You all do such a great job!

I am a decent 'seamstress' - and last year for C4 I made the ROTS Padme Green Cut Velvet costume. It was fun, although not exactly like the movie version.

This year, I am planning on remaking the dress, as close to screen-accuracy as I can get. I'm even going as far as to have the sleeve lining fabric specially made.

Is anyone else planning on making this dress? If so - and you're having a hard time finding the sleeve lining... drop me an email or message and I'll be happy to share the info with you.

As for my husband, he has started the process of joining the 501st, and is getting his first set of trooper armor this year.

Right now, that's all we have planned.

~Jenn~

2. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    You could use "Heat 'n' Bond", whether the kind that comes in a roll like a Hem Tape or big pieces.

It's looks like interfacing but have both sides with some Heat-Activated Glue that is activated by ironing.

But of course, the best way is to learn sewing, even if it's Hand-Sewing. There are sites online that show you how to do the basic stitches or just get books with lots of Illustration. Personally, I dun like those Idiot's or Dummy Books as it's mostly writings rather than Step-By-Step Illustrations or Photos.

3. Independence1776

Independence1776 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2006
    Thanks for the advice, Darth_Eagle. I can sew a straight stitch by hand, but it hurts after a while. I'm definitely going to get some books and a sewing machine when I have the money.

4. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Cara, I know we (Sunrider) are in need of another day trip to the LA Fashion District. Kari and Nikol went with us last year: I think we just met them in Ontario and drove to LA. If we can organize another trip soon, you should come with. :)

Edit: and as to the Ep. II Arena outfit, you'd just need to figure out what kind of white materials you want (the jumpsuit and the waffle), and also let us know, and we can help keep an eye out. Last year we all just kinda helped each other find stuff. :)

5. Cara_Undercover_Jedi

Cara_Undercover_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2006
    I've heard of that place. Boy would I have a long shopping list. ;)

My biggest problem now is picking which one to do first!

6. Neimhaille

Neimhaille Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2002
    Got several in the line but so far I've actually got work done on:
    Mara Jade, Black jumpsuit. There is one piece of artwork I love above all others but I'm going to aim for the more recognised cloak and other accessories first;)

Dawn, from the 2003 Convention Sketchbook, probably my favourite of all time. The dress is now sewn up and I need to make the corset and neck piece.

Dawn Custom battle outfit. Just about finished all the soft parts of the costume, I just need to work on the armour:)

Mystique, classic comic book.

There are a few I want to do as well... most of them involve a black pvc catsuit which disturbs me (Catwoman- make over of my costume from 06, Jim Lee's Catwoman, Baroness, Selene from Underworld and another project I need to get clarification about.)

7. BurntTheMacaroni

BurntTheMacaroni Jedi Knight star 3

May 16, 2005
    List revision!

In 2008 I plan on making:
    David Bowie's "Earthling" Jacket- DONE!
    Cobra Ninja- Halfway done
    Pink Cobra Ninja for myself
    Galinda's "Popular" Dress
    Tyria Sarkin
    X-wing Pilot
    CorSec remake
    Jysella Horn, Corellian Jedi- DONE
    Brainiac(for my best friend)
    Glinda Bubble Dress Remake
    New Republic Dress Uniform
    PIRATE!!!

8. PetraKenobi

PetraKenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 18, 2008
    I want to have a Civil-war style dress this year....or a Star Wars or LOTR one...last year I didn't find any patterns for SW and LOTR so I'm probably left with the Civil-war dress...which is fine, I want a hoop skirt, lol. Has anyone made one before? Are they hard to make? Where do you get a hoop skirt? any pointers?....sorry if this isn't the right thread but if it is, PM me! :D

9. blueeyedpadme

blueeyedpadme Jedi Youngling

Nov 22, 2007
    Here is a link for sewing machines...

http://www.overstock.com/search?keywords=sewing%20machine&taxonomy=&SearchType=HP_Header

I got one from overstock and have been thrilled with it. I got one for $89. Worth every penny...

:)

10. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Hmmm....there're many patterns for SW or LOTR Costumes; some obvious with only some modification needed while others are actually meant for regular outfits but can be modify to become a SW or LOTR Patterns.

Patterns for LOTR Costumes

Padawan's Guide
    (Will have to look through the "Making" Section of the costume wanted for possible recommended patterns)

Of course, there're many other pattern recommended here under the particular Costume Thread:
    READ THIS FIRST -- Welcome to the Forum and Thread Index

Remember that there is no easy way out to find ThePattern for your Movie-Related Costume as some of the studios' lawyers can get ruthless in tracking down all unlicensed items or do not allow 100% accuracy for Licensed Items.

As for Civil War Patterns, your best bet is to find out from Forums/Mailing List and Website that talks about such outfits.

There're many patterns for it from the Commercial Patterns Company like Simplicity, McCall's, Butterick etc. Just follow the instructions and I'm sure the outfit will turn out well. ;)

If getting the Outfits or parts ready made, I'm sure there're people selling it but dun expect to pay a low price for them unless you're employing someone who lives in a Developing Country where the Workmanship Cost is very low and materials are cheap.

11. fairyprincess

fairyprincess Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 11, 2007
    Petra, have sent you a pm on hoops!

12. Takianna

Takianna Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    Okay so I've added a costume that I want to do for myself. I know two in one year (let the sarcasam begin here!)

I will be making a harem girl based on some Disney Jasmine, but for me I'll be adding some covered arms and I'm not having my belly hanging out. Nobody would want to see that. Doing the costumes for Aladdin has really given me the itch to do this.

13. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Wow, some of you have a big list of costume which they wanna do! [face_hypnotized]

And I didn't even had the idea of making one in the beginning of January. It popped up in my mind two weeks later with high time pressure (Sleia 8-}) and I think I won't do a second one this year. :p

14. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Stuff I'd like to do in 2008 but probably won't finish until 2010:

--Finish the embroidery on the nightgown for my AOTC smocked robe. I had three snowflakes done for C4, but covering the entire thing would be wonderful.

--Finish Mara Jade

--Femme-TIE pilot (I blame this one on Benae_Quee)

--One of the crazy costumes from the original Flash Gordon movie. How cool are they!

--Kaylee's Shindig dress. Maybe - it's an awful lot of pink. :p

15. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Haha! Sorry Anu, costuming IS addictive though ;) Kaylee's shindig dress would be so cool, just don't eat any chocolate while wearing all that PINK :p [face_laugh] !

16. MasterCenedra

MasterCenedra Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 3, 2005
    Well after many of thought and the changing of my mind, I have come up with a List:

1. Victorian Corset, for use with future projects
    2. Medieval Design for a Friend
    3. Giselle's Curtain Dress (Thanks Maggie for the Patterns!)
    4. River Tam - Firefly and Serenity Versions
    5. Original Design
    6. Inara's Peach Gown (after 2 years of saying that I was going to do this, I'm now on the Road to making it again!)

MC

17. Takianna

Takianna Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    OHHHHH!!! That Inara one will be really cool. Hope to see some pictures of that!

18. MasterCenedra

Apr 3, 2005
    Yeah, I have had the material for it for ages, I thought I should start up again. lol

The pattern is easy enough to make from scratch so thats what I'm doing...

MC

19. MasterCenedra

Apr 3, 2005
    Yay! I have a reason for wearing the costumes on my List now!

I am Volunteering a Comic*Con this year!!

YAY! I am moving to the Uk, and I have decided to go to Comic*Con on the way!

MC

20. Kelldar

Kelldar Jedi Youngling

Sep 6, 2003
    I can mark a couple of things off my list --
    my green "library" dress Belle:
    [image=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3048/2345052263_ed3ec83c0a.jpg]
    and Scarlet Witch:
    [image=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3243/2376138822_90474090a9.jpg]

I need to start work on Starfire - I've had the fabric for ages, but I think I'll get back to my Bespin Leia next :)

21. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    YAY! The Belle dress turned out great!!

22. MasterCenedra

Apr 3, 2005
    Awesome Costumes Kell!!

MC

23. Orliaan-Nabberie

Orliaan-Nabberie Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 17, 2005
    Beautiful Belle dress, Kell -- it turned out wonderfully!

I just bought some fabric for it, so I guess I'll add it to my list. ;)

24. MasterCenedra

Apr 3, 2005
    Because of Comic Con, I have to choose one more Costume to make and wear there, my original designs, arn't in the style of CC. They are just plan dresses and things...so I am racking my brains trying to think of one to make...One that can be done quick and can travel nicely...any ideas Because I have none...I have a very big soft spot for detail on a costume, so when ever I go to costumersguide, or even padawansguide I always end up wanting to make the detail ones...

Help! A simple costume, I just need to make a simple costume...

MC

25. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Try a Disney character, like Alice or Belle or Mulan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.