main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

2008 Costume Projects

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by BurntTheMacaroni, Jan 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Takianna

Takianna Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    I don't have Luminara experience, but man that is an awesome costume. Can't wait to see pictures. She is one of my fav characters.

2. madhorizons

madhorizons Jedi Master star 3

May 10, 2006
    List updated....again.

No Raiden
    No Bandon (which sux b/c i wanted to have him done...but the whole house moving thing is kickin' mah bootay).

So, it looks like my latest list is:

Mola Ram
    Darth Nihilus
    custom Cobra Ninja (with custom leather bracers. not quite 'canon' but wanted a personal touch...post-tooling before & after dye below)
    [image=http://madhorizons.com/cobra/images/bracer_b4_aftr.jpg]
    Costume "blog" (not a real blog...refuse to install one on my site...too easily hacked) here. (it has more detailed pix of the tooling)

3. JumpinJax

JumpinJax Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 11, 2006
    For me it's the Imperial Knights, vac-formed in styrene.
    [image=http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/7648/pdrm0108du8.jpg]
    I've seen the fiberglass ones, just a little too much work and they seem a little thick and clunky.

4. tooclonecrazy

tooclonecrazy Jedi Youngling

Jun 27, 2008
    I wanna do Mission Vao now. Kaylee, the mechanic in Firefly, her costume she was wearing in front of Serenity in the pilot episode with the umbrella, jumpsuit, chinese top, and little buns. And a biker scout will be later. (after I build my speeder bike!). And I'm considering doing a generic Jedi, because the robes are classic, and people recognize them. That'd be good for Halloween.
    Darth Revan would be cool to do sometime.

5. KodaVonnor

KodaVonnor Jedi Knight

Jul 10, 2006
    Some grizzled, hardass, scruffy, armored Jedi dude...

Believe me, this one costume is enough for '08. Never thought I'd be sculpting armor from scratch. :eek:

~ Vonnor

6. Polly_Padme

Polly_Padme Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2008
    Hmmm...So big projects you have,gays!))
    I'am beginner costumer in Movie costumes,so,here is samples from my wishlist in 2008:

Star Wars costumes:
    Padme Loyalist Committee gown(Ep.II)
    Queen Amidala Senate gown(Ep.I)
    Padme Burgundy Velvet gown(Ep.III)
    Padme Green Cut velvet gown(Ep.III)
    Padme Tatooine blue midriff costume(Ep.II)
    Padme Dressing gown(Ep.III)
    Sheltay Retrac(Ep.III)-for my friend
    Darth Nihilus(KOTOR game)-for my friend
    Darth Revan(KOTOR game)-for my friend

The Chronicles of Narnia(all movies):
    Susan Pevency Green Archery Dress(LWW)
    Susan Coronation dress(LWW)
    Prince Caspian main outfit(PC)-for my friend
    Susan Pevency Purple dress(PC)
    Susan Pevency Night Raid outfit(PC)
    Susan Pevency Battle outfit(PC)
    Susan Pevency Coronation dress(PC)
    Susan Pevency Farevel dress(PC)

Pirates of the Caribbean:
    Elizabeth Swann Gold gown(Cures of BP)
    Elizabeth Swann pirate outfit(Dead man's Chest)
    Elizabeth Swann Pirate King outfit(At World's End)

And many other costumes))I know,I like sew very-very much.I'am very fast and accurate with patterns and all kinds of embroidery.

7. Orliaan-Nabberie

Orliaan-Nabberie Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 17, 2005
    Now adding Susan's green Archery dress and the Joker's purple overcoat. I found some dark green wool gab for the dress and some dark violet velvet for the coat.

8. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    After going to tonight's TRU Hasbro Clone Wars Midnight Sale, I'm tempted to add in the Hoth Speeder Bike Patrol Troopers to my list.

The reason? I can use most of the stuffs from my Biker Scout for it and the "Jumpsuit" is what I had been tempting to do the past few weeks as the full costume is so easy to do (Imperial Scanning Crew; I just need the Grey Jumpsuit and another Compad as other parts coming from my TIE Pilot). Okay, not 100% accurate as Scout Jumpsuit suppose not to have any pockets but then again, it might just be one of the costumes I'm doing for the heck of it. :p

So this is my list so far:

Real To-Do List:
    1. ROTJ Biker Scout Armor (50% Done)
    2. Hoth Speeder Bike Patrol Trooper
    3. PRINCE CASPIAN Lucy Red Dress (60% done and worn to movie)
    4. ROTS Padme Medical Gown (10% Done)
    5. ROTS Padme Steel Blue Nightgown (10% Done)
    6. HARRY POTTER Hufflepuff School Robe (5% done)
    7. HARRY POTTER School Cloak (40% done)
    8. FOTR Ringwraith Ver. 1.3 (for Halloween?)

If I can afford it or got the time list:
    1. CW Padme Red/Maroon Cloak Outfit
    2. STARDUST Yvaine Star Gown (need to get new cloths as previous ones had been used for my Lucy Red Dress. And I want it to be Real Life colour accurate so means can't use Dull Light Blue any more)
    3. PRINCE CASPIAN Lucy School Uniform (10% Done: The Shirt, Tie, Stockings & Shoes only [face_laugh] )
    4. ROTJ Luke Skywalker Tatooine Outfit / Dark Forces Yun
    5. CW Padme Snow Bunny Ver. 1.2 OR 2.0 (either I upgrade my current costume to RL Standard or redo it completely based on the Hasbro Illustration & Figuring)

9. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    My ToDo List is too long, but I at least got everything sorted and labeled so I know what my ToDo List is.

And I'm sewing like mad to get a costume ready for WorldCon in less than 2 weeks.

10. Kelldar

Kelldar Jedi Youngling

Sep 6, 2003
    Well, I've sort-of finished one thing off my original list, Giselle:
    [image=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3004/2589209362_e7252e6170.jpg]
    I put it together for Adventurecon last month - I ran out of time and ended up making the white shoulder wrap really last-minute (as in, the morning before we left for the con) - so I want to re-do that for Dragoncon :) Otherwise I was pretty happy with it! It was fun to wear.

I also made use of all the leftover ivy from my wedding in April. I was sitting there looking at it and thought, I can use that!
    [image=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3001/2582003691_19970ee741.jpg]
    Poison Ivy - this was a really quick, easy project and I was really pleased with how it turned out. I can't wait to wear it again.

And most recently my husband asked me to put together a snowbunny Padme to match his new clonetrooper for the TRU midnight toy release. I already had most of the materials for it, and it went together pretty quickly.
    [image=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3217/2707816564_7125504a36.jpg]
    One of these days I'm going to make a new battle outfit and make a decent belt! LOL.

We're working like crazy on finishing everything for dcon... hope we get it all done! :)

11. BurntTheMacaroni

BurntTheMacaroni Jedi Knight star 3

May 16, 2005
    Rockin costumes, Kell! Love your Poison Ivy. I think that was such a great use of your left over ivy from your wedding! What better way to remember your big day!

On my end, not too much new. But I have FINALLLLLYYYYYYYY finished(and by finished i mean, have a few items done) my Pirate costume! I plan on making a secondary under dress, as well as 2 other bodices. Maybe even an over skirt. Not sure. It's not 100% done, but it's awesome. My baldric was made by Ashton, it has a matching scabbard. My belt is a temp too, just something he put together last minute. It's a store belt, with an embossed one on top. Honestly, I love it. But we'll see what he comes up with next.

Also, at this point in the day, I hadnt noticed my bodice lacing had slipped. so.. yea.. ugh. I'll have better pics soon!

[image=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3142/2676555862_0bb10536cf_b.jpg]

[image=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3161/2675736009_1b7b81f4f6_b.jpg]

[image=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3294/2649112528_62996cfe69_o.jpg]

12. LORDWROTH

LORDWROTH Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2004
    Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum so please bare with me if I say or do anything like a[face_clown]

I just finished my last star wars film and have somethings laying around, wanted to know if any of you here are looking for itemes in particular.

I do charge, sorry ,[face_blush] my wifes kills me when I work for free but I am like many of you here you , very affordable and after working with Tom from arksabers whose here too .

plus I see so many of you here with awesome talents I thought I say hi.

all the best

[image=http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s24/lordwroth/CoF_219.jpg]

[image=http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s24/lordwroth/IMG_0061.jpg]

[image=http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s24/lordwroth/2.jpg]]

13. LORDWROTH

Nov 5, 2004
    didnt mean to derail this thread,;)
    guess what I was trying yo say was
    I have some prosthetice and head pieces I was planning on putting on Ebay, but I thought it would be nice to offer costume makers here at the forum something there may not really have the time or the resources to make.
    My name is Lou Klein if you've seen my films you know I can make almost ~any~ alien Jedi come to life,
    so if any of you here are FX artists . great! love to talk shop and share notes, but for those of you who want to know how to make certain things or where to buy items or materials please feel free to ask.
    I really respect the talent here at the forum and would love to assist in any's venture.

all the very best:)

14. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Those masks are amazing LordWroth! Wow.

I do have to say that offering items for sale in the forum is not allowed unless you are linking to a listed eBay auction that is your own.

Please read our Welcome and thread index to familiarize yourself with our forum rules. Thanks, and welcome to C&P! :)

15. LORDWROTH

Nov 5, 2004
    oops sorry,
    Please forgive me if it sounded like soliciting. I was just happy to get the images up here on the Forum finally![face_blush]

anyways, Thank you for the compliment and I am always available for any questions regarding
    how to make something like Shakk Tii or any other Alien I can help anybody here with.
    Um , got a quick question, Does anybody here know Kathy Pilsberry ?

16. Solo_Jaina

Solo_Jaina Jedi Youngling

Feb 13, 2007
    *sigh*

It seems that my list just keeps growing but I'm not really getting anything done (Though that has alot to do with being broke. >_<)

Anyways...updated costuming list. I've started on about 7-8 of them.

Event = A Long Expected Party (September 2008)
    Uruviel (Lord of the Rings)
    Female Hobbit (Lord of the Rings)

Event = Nekocon (November 2008)
    Soi fon (Bleach)
    Rangiku Matsumoto (Bleach)
    Miser (SC III)
    Kisuke Urahara (Bleach ? For my husband)
    Hisagi Shuuhei (Bleach ? For my husband)

Event = HBP Premier (November 2008)
    Tonks (Done-Needs Addition/Alteration) (Harry Potter)

Event = Stellarcon (March 2009)
    River (Blue Dress-Serenity)
    Jayne (Firefly ? For my husband)

Event = Galacticon (March/April 2009)
    Jaina ? Corellian/Smuggler (Done-Needs Addition) (Star Wars)
    Jaina ? X-wing (Star Wars)
    Jaina ? Rebel Dress Uniform (Star Wars)
    Jagged Fel ?NJO Uni. (Done-Needs Alteration/addition) (Star Wars ? for my husband)

Event = Animazement (May 2009)
    Melissa Mao (Full Metal Panic)
    Kallen Stadtfeld (Code Geass)
    Sousuke Sagara (Full Metal Panic ? for my husband)
    Suzaku Kururuaki (Code Geass ? for my husband)

Event = Dragoncon (August/September 2009)
    Blood Elf Mage (World of Warcraft)
    Undead Priest (World of Warcraft ? for my husband)
    Joker (The Dark Knight ? for my husband)
    Holyhead Harpies Quidditch Player (Harry Potter)
    River (Beginning/End dress ? Serenity)
    Jaina ? Invincible (Star Wars)
    Jaina ? Refugee v3.0 (Star Wars)

Event = Nekocon 2010
    Duenan Knute (Appleseed)
    Toushiro Hitsugaya (Bleach)

Event = CV (TBA)
    Jaina ? NEGTC (Star Wars)
    Jaina ? Red Dress (Star Wars)
    Deliah Blue (Legacy cover2) (Star Wars)
    Custom Mandalorian (Star Wars)
    Marasiah Fel (Jedi) (Star Wars)
    Cade Skywalker (Star Wars ? for my husband)

Other
    Jaina ? Destiny?s Way v2.0 (Star Wars)
    Jaina ? Reunion (Star Wars)
    Jaina ? TJK (Star Wars)
    Imperial Knight (Star Wars)
    Inara Serra (Peach dress ? Firefly)
    Hermione Granger (OotP Hogwarts Uni) (Harry Potter)
    Hermione Granger (DH Lilac Dress) (Harry Potter)
    Mello (Death Note)

Yes, yes...my head exploded when I saw my OWN list, too.

17. Amanita

Amanita Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2003
    LordWroth, those headpieces are amazing! I especially love Shaak Ti, and want to do her in the worst way.

For this halloween, I'm planning to do a little something funky- the living incarnation of the Mackinac Bridge, AKA the Mighty Mac.

I've also got a black-robed forgeworld Jedi planned as well.

18. LORDWROTH

Nov 5, 2004
    Very nice, she is one of my favorites.

My Shakk Tii head piece itself is latex skinned and soft foam filled . and unfortunately the face is a foam latex appliance that is glued to the persons face first than attached to the actual head piece second.
    pretty advanced if you've never worked with that stuff before, But I've heard of Some folks using just regular womens stalkings filled with cotton to get that effect. But they look bumpy
    and odd. But they are cheaper and easy to make.

One way you may think of doing if you have to go real inexpensive is paper machette.
    It has a nice look and you can layer the piece until you get the desired look you want.
    believe it or not I have used this method in my earlier years before FX work and it has
    its ups and downs, But for the tight budget, its very effective.

I have an Aurra Sing I just finished and will post those pics soon. I actually had my assistant make the hands and she did a beautiful job.

I think my wish costumes list would have to be.
    A clone wars Jedi.
    A cerean Sith Lord.
    Exxar Kunn
    Hell Boy
    Van Helsing
    ]-}

19. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Heehee.....you haven't seen my REAL Costumes/Armors-To-Do List and my cloths pile for almost 1/4 of them. ;) And this is after I eliminated the Cosplay (aka Anime, Manga and Gothic Lolita) Costumes from the Current Project and Future Project List due to my attempt to retire from Cosplaying; Costuming, especially Armor eating up too much of my limited fund nowadays.

20. Amanita

May 12, 2003
    LordWroth, have you ever done Twi'lek's Lekku?
    I've got a lovely set of cast latex ones, but I find them heavy, and I can't wrap them around my shoulders Bib Fortuna style. I made a couple of pairs of fabric lekku which move beautifully and can wrap around my shoulders, but up close, they're obviously fabric.

How well do the lekku on your Shaak Ti headpiece move?

One of these days, I really want a Shaak Ti, but I don't want one that looks "Halloween- costumey", as stuffed tights or paper mache tend to. When I do costumes, I try to get them as slick as possible.

21. LORDWROTH

Nov 5, 2004
    I did Twi Lek's for my film Crossroads of Destiny.
    The way we got around the tendrils was the head piece would be the foundation of soft foam
    and a tinted latex skin,
    ( we tinted the latex close to the color we wanted as a base, so painting would be easier.)

Than we actually foam latexed the tendrils. I dont know if you've ever experienced working with that stuff before but just imagine a really smelly birthday cake. (which I learned only later to put vinalla extrac in the mix to soften the smell,:oops: )
    and you mix it! bake it and taddah! you have a foam latexed piece that moves and has life
    just like the facial appliances do.

The way we kept them from bending and losing their shape was a genious move from our foam runner Ken Kulver.
    He came up with the idea of putting a small rope near the tip of the tendril; and than fishing string to the tip. That was weighted with very small fish casting weights.

sounds like allot of work but believe me you want these to last and last they shall, Mine have lasted for over three years!
    There's more to say but I'll say it later if you want about the painting process ect.

here are some behind the scenes pictures for you to see the direction we went with the Twi Lekk.
    also I made the film to be more light side of the Force minded. most guys only like the action I wanted to tell a story. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnlwKWaf6U4

[image=http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s24/lordwroth/IMG_0069.jpg]
    [image=http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s24/lordwroth/IMG_0002.jpg]
    [image=http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s24/lordwroth/DSC01194.jpg]
    [image=http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s24/lordwroth/DSC01153.jpg]
    [image=http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s24/lordwroth/DSC01159.jpg]
    [image=http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s24/lordwroth/DSC01194.jpg]
    [image=http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s24/lordwroth/CoF_220.jpg]

Let me know when your ready adn I;ll try to help you as much as I can.
    good luck!:)

22. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Wow. They're totally stunning!

23. Amanita

May 12, 2003
    Indeed! So many people here have asked how to make Lekku in the past, perhaps you might consider doing up a detailed tutorial. Even better if you have pics of the building process, or could do some drawings to go with the text.

When I made my spandex lekku, I used fiberfill stuffing for most of them, save for a small amount at the tips, which I filled with rice or something similar. These lightly weighted tips helped the Lekku to hang right, and swing when I move.

When I build my own lekku, I might prefer to keep the "flesh" and the decorative headpiece seperate- just install some fasteners to join them together securely. That way I could swap out headgear depending on whether I feel like being a Jedi, Sith, or something else.

24. LORDWROTH

Nov 5, 2004
    Thanks sister-Sola
    but after viewing some of the talent here at the Forum I have to admit.
    I am really impressed! allot of folks here have better quality than film. =D=

Films just usually want to get the scene completed and the detail can be forgiven thru the
    angel of the shot, But as I'm sure you know. when you do this for yourself,
    things can become very problamatic when your trying to match fabrics and
    other detail.

25. Amanita

May 12, 2003
    I remember talking to a lady who did costuming for stage, and her practice was to fake as much as possible. Leave off a lot of things, but "fake" the appearance.

I don't like to do that, I prefer to do things so that they look good even up close, and from any angle. I don't do "costumes", I make clothing. Seams bound with bias tape, hems finished, side slits in robes and tunics reinforced..My garb ends up being solid enough to last for years and stand up to rough treatment, unless very delicate fabrics are involved.

I've heard actors appreciate costumes and props that are as realistic as possible. It's said that the actors from LOTR thanked the costumers and props department for making things so real. Also, some theatrical directors and costumers prefer the realistic approach. Dressing in realistic clothing just feels somehow different than putting on a halloween costume, and it is believed that it helps the actor get into character better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.