main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Awards 2008 Fanfic Awards Volunteer Sign-ups

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by The_Face, May 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    (Big thanks to JadeSolo for writing, like, 99%, of what follows.)

Holy Golden Yodas, Batman! Is it that time already?

It sure is, Robin. It's time for the Annual Fan Fiction Awards!

Gosh, Batman. This is exciting. But how does this big rig work?

Well, Robin, let me tell you...

Every year, the Fan Fiction forums hold three grand ceremonies to celebrate stories we love from each era. It's a big production full of love, laughter, and many sleepless nights graciously donated by the volunteers who run the shows. There are three main stages: nominations, excerpts, and voting. During nominations, you nominate a story, author, or character for each category. If your story gets enough noms to qualify, during the excerpts stage, you put together excerpts that will be posted for everyone to peruse. Finally, there's the voting stage, where everyone casts their votes for their favorites. A few days after that's over, it's ceremony time! We have rules you need to follow during each stage, but those will be posted when the time comes.

Gee, Batman, that sure sounds like fun. Can I help?

You sure can, Robin. The mods will handle modly tasks such as sock-checking, crowd control, and general snarkiness, but you can help out in these positions:

Overseer
    The Captain America of the show, the overseer is the last stop for all decisions and dictates general procedures. We have discussions and surveys from past years for you to consider when working out all the administrative details and rules. The overseer also helps pick the host for each era. If you want to be our Captain America, you must be someone who's willing to devote a whole hell of a lot of time this summer, because you'll be double-checking votes every day for every stage of the process, plus double-checking votes before the ceremonies. You'll also be handling issues like improperly formatted submissions, double votes for one category, and general insanity.

Really, we need someone who can herd cats. But we'll take someone who can herd cows. We'd prefer someone with previous Awards experience, but if you've done an excellent job managing index threads or challenges, we'll consider you as well.

Lieutenant Overseer
    If the Overseer is Captain America, I suppose that makes you Bucky Barnes but, y?know, the important cool modern Barnes, not the lame kid. Maybe you?re more like USAgent. Bear with the allegory here. The Lt. Overseer will have responsibilities somewhere between the overseer and the volunteers. Whenever the overseer isn?t available, the Lt. Overseer can step into those red military boots and fill in on all those duties mentioned above.

Again, previous Awards experience is very helpful.

Hosts
    It's the mini Justice League! You're responsible for picking volunteers to serve at your bidding, but the fun doesn't stop there. You get to organize a schedule for when your volunteers do their assigned tasks, how they do their tasks, and how you want those results sent to you. You also have to send those results in turn to the overseer, who may want you to use a particular format. It's a lot of counting, double-checking, and hair-pulling. You also need to be on the lookout for submission goofs. But don't worry, there's a light at the end - you get to write the ceremony for your era!

As with the overseer position, we prefer people who have previous Awards or thread managing experience, but show us you can handle the heat, and we'll consider you.

Volunteers
    Evil minions, we need you to sell your souls to us. You're responsible for doing whatever the hosts and overseer tell you to do. You need to be available regularly enough that you're not forcing others to pick up the bulk of your work. But at the same time, you get to hobnob with other crazy folks in a private forum. How exciting!

No previous experience of any kind necessary, though counting abilities will help.

Entertainment Host
    Hey there, Joker! You're in charge of collecting entertainm

2. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    I'd like to volunteer to be just a plain old volunteer. :p I'm not quite crazy enough to do more than be ordered around by the people who know what they're doing. :p

3. The_Face

Feb 22, 2003
    I know the feeling.

Err, I mean, I totally know what I'm doing. Yeah. [face_whistling]

4. Myriad_Daydreams

Myriad_Daydreams Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2007
    *raises hand* Count me in for volunteering! :D

5. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    I'm in for volunteering. :D

6. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    I'm all for volunteering! :D

7. thesporkbewithyou

thesporkbewithyou Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2005
    Oh my! Is it that time of year again already?

I've never done it before, but I'd definitely be willing to volunteer.

8. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Sign me up for the Help Desk again. :)

9. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Last year, I wrote a Before ceremony scenerio that didn't get used because they already had one. So if you need one, you can have it.....

10. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I'd love to volunteer as I'm not doing much this summer! :D

11. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    I'd like to volunteer, too.

12. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    As usual, I'm up for anything from entertainment to vote counting and have done it all as well.

13. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    *raises hand* I'd like to volunteer as well. As evil minion. [face_skull]

14. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I'll volunteer for the help desk. :D

15. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    I'll be one of those evil minion type of volunteers. [face_skull]

16. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    I'll volunteer, if only because I don't know if my schedule will allow for anything higher.

17. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Just a quick question. Are we going to have the same catagories as last year? It takes a while to get all the noms together and I'd like to get a headstart...

18. The_Face

Feb 22, 2003
    I'll cede to whoever our overseer ends up being for the final say on whether categories need revisited, but chances are highly in favor of them being the same. The only relevant category "change" I could find in last year's post-aw*rds discussions was that poems within stories could be eligible for Best Poem.

Keep on volunteering, folks, and don't forget to list what positions you'd be interested in (host, overseer, entertainment, help desk, evil minion)! :D

19. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_skull] Suckers ;)

I don't have time to be a grunt again this summer, so I'll just volunteer for help desk or entertainment host :)

By the way, if you guys have any questions about the specifics of being an overseer, I'm a PM away :)

20. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Well, if we're supposed to list, I'm interested in being host, overseer, entertainment coordinator, nomination-counter, vote-counter and backrub-giver.

21. KrystalBlaze

KrystalBlaze Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    I'd like to volunteer wherever you need me, and yes, this includes Overseer or Host. Despite a history of frequent breaks midway through the process, I have faith that this will be the summer I can finally allot enough time for this. :D

-Krystal

22. Lola64

Lola64 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    I enjoyed working on the awards last year and would love to do so again. You can put my name into the mix for host or volunteer, or whatever you need.

Edit: I can work in any era.

23. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    Oh yeah, I didn't say what I wanted to do. :oops: I was an evil mionion last year, and I wouldn't mind doing that again. I would also be willing to be a host or the entertainment person.

24. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Ooooh!!! Pick me for Help Desk!! Pick me!!!!!11!!

(Nothing like a dose of enthusiasm to end your week. :p)

Also, to anyone volunteering for the head jobs of Overseer or Hosts, I'll be gathering all the info threads and whatnot and making sure you have last year's discussions to give you an idea of what worked and what didn't.

25. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    I would like to volunteer for overseer or lt. overseer. And if that doesn't work out, I would be happy to be an evil minion in any era.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.