2008 FanForce Awards canclled. please read

Discussion in 'NE Fanforce Awards Forum' started by strawbary, Oct 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    Welcome everyone!
    once again its time to start planning for our favorite annual event ;) The Fanforce awards! Whoot Whoot!

This year its being hosted by The Long Island FF Chapter. From what I understand it will be held at a con on a University Campus. There will not be a banquet at this one as their facilities cannot accomadate us in that aspect.
    I believe we are working with an hour time frame this time which shuld be plenty if we're strictly doing awards.

Whats different this year also is that since we are part of the cons programming, it will be open to the public and we cnnot charge admission. Since we dont have dinner it shouldnt be an issue. We will still have a screen for viewing videos and a PA system. I am told the room can hold about 100 people or so.

So.... ladies and gents... with that in mind...... lets plan away :)

I am open to whatever ideas everyone has this year :)

If you could just post in here and introduce yourself to everyone to start.

2. MasterSifo-Dyas Jedi Master

star 4
    Hi Everyone,
    Im Billy, the secretary of Docking Bay 516 and lead singer of AeroSith. I'm starting the ball rolling in the organizing of this event because I am a staff member at Stony Brook Long Island's I-CON convention. I will be negotiating with the con to secure the venue and then our CR, StarfromIHJ, Dana, will lead DB516's collaboration with Strawbarry in the planning of the programming.
    DB516 will have a meeting today to start discussion. Let's hear from everybody on your thoughts and ideas.
    Were looking forward to having fun in planning this event and the presenting of the event at I-CON. --Billy
  3. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    I'm Nat :) I'm not an NE FF member, but I organized the fanfic award last year (and I'm happy to do it again :) ).
  4. MasterSifo-Dyas Jedi Master

star 4
    Nice to meet you Nat, Tell us how the fan fic awards go. Just curious. --Billy
  5. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    Billy there is a thread in this forum about the rules and such for the fanfic awards.

I want to mention to everyone that you are all welcome to browseold threads in here to see what has been done in the past. :)

I think we need to get a seperate thread going regarding the fanfic awards to discuss any rules/changes that may be made.
  6. BobaChris12 NE RSA & Buffalo, NY CR

Manager
    star 9
  7. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    *hugs* I love you chris [face_love]
  8. MasterSifo-Dyas Jedi Master

star 4
    Should we start a thread just for entertainment ideas? --Billy
  9. StarFromIHJ Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm Dana. I'm the CR of DB 516. I'm willing to do anything necessary to help out!
  10. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    I thought you said you were going to do various transmissions from aerosith?

are we set with that? otherwise if not let me know then we should discuss entertainment. Because since its only an hour I thought we were set for that. ;)

this is what I thought we had:

Fanfilms submissions - numbers not confirmed yet
    Aerosith performance - one song
    Aerosith transmissions - would like 2 if possible
    Parody song - bobabooey performing
    Wookie idol - Unconfirmed

Let me know :)

11. MasterSifo-Dyas Jedi Master

star 4
    Fanfilms submissions - numbers not confirmed yet
    Aerosith performance - one song
    Aerosith transmissions - would like 2 if possible
    Parody song - bobabooey performing
    Wookie idol - Unconfirmed

Right. I forgot that it's now an hour. I remember you said 10 entertainment slots. But I guess with an hour it will be less.

--We have a Fan Film submission: A non-AeroSith music video (4 minutes) called "You Know Your A Star Wars Fan When. . ."

--AeroSith (three) 2 minute pre-taped segments: The first near the beginning of the awards, one in the middle, then one near the end of the awards which will lead right into a 3 minute live performance (preferably before the last award or completely last).

We already have our plans for the script and will be taping next month. If these time schedule isnt good, let me know so we have time to re-write our script. --Billy
  12. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    ok Im back for this week then off again till dec 1st.
    Anyone have any updates or news regarding the awards? anything we need to go over?

Billy how soon will we have a time slot for the awards confirmed?
    Also can u please provide the hotel info so I can have all that gathered for the formal announcement?
  13. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    ok I know we have discussed a few scenarios on what to do in the show etc..... we seem to be moving along nicely with that. Im very excited about LI's work so far that they have planned. It will be wonderful.

Since its somewhere new and we dont have the dinner attached to it..... we have options to do something completely different. which can be a hairpulling yet fantastic oppportunity as well. Something new and fresh. Below are some comparisons to last years show to this years. Please comment on each one if you can :)its lengthy so copy and paste if you want and comment after each one :)

Last years show:
    We had several entertainment slots. I know LI has a few this eyar and weI would like to say that some were done without being cleared thru me personally and lets just say some were not Family friendly or even PG.
    This year I need to preview everything shown before it goes on the schedule. (sorry guys)

Dinner and goodie bags.
    What a huge undertaking. This year we dont ahve that.
    Do we still want goodie bags to hand out for those attending?

Playdoh award.
    We always have a playdoh contest this year I dont see that happening with the way seating is arranged and open to the public. I really hate to break tradition. Any thoughts on this?

Prepayment.
    Last year you were required to prepay for the dinner. This year no diiner, so no charge. We arent even allowed to charge for the show since its open to the public and a part of the con programming. Shall we still have a raffle or door prize ? are we allowed?

Audio/video
    Last year I took a back seat and My husband and I ran the audio/visual effects. I actually ahd more fun doing that and ensuring the show ran more smoothly. I am looking forward to doing that again. We still have a big screen and projector.
    We did a powerpoint presentation and academy awards style for the awards.... do we keep that? suggestions to try soemthing different for presenting awards?

Host
    Last year we had a wonderful host with audience participation. I would love to continue with that. billy you mentioned a friend of yours may be interested?
    Please have him contact me.

Slideshow
    Brother Halo always does a wonderfuil job on the slideshow we see at the finale. I know he said he would be open for that again this year. Biggest problem we always seem to have is getting photo submissions. any thoughts on doing the slideshow differently this year? or still continue to nag people for photos? LOL
    Any other ideas I would love to see please feel free to post them. nce we get things closer I will post a thread recapping things and job assignments/positions to be filled etc.

thanks againf or everyones support
  14. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    just noticed there hasnt been any activity in here in a while. Im back online full swing now so, in between holiday parties and vacations.... can we get this moving along again ? :)

15. BobaChris12 NE RSA & Buffalo, NY CR

Manager
    star 9
    I like to move it....move it....

Still here and will give the old hamster a jumpstart!:p
  16. StarFromIHJ Jedi Master

star 4
    What does the Playdoh award involve?
  17. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    in the past the playdoh award was always an activity where in the goodie bags was a container of playdoh for guests to create a SW item out of it. The winner is chosen that night. I take the winning entry home and turn it into a trophy and its presented the following year at the same time a new entry is made that night we present last years..... wow did that mae any sense? i have not had enough coffee today lol
  18. StarFromIHJ Jedi Master

star 4
    LOL It made sense. Maybe you can hand out the Playdoh before the awards start and have the chapters work on it during the awards. If we have enough time maybe we can dedicate part of it to making the award. :)
  19. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    we're pretty limited and the show has only an hour this year. I think maybe if DB516 has a table this year at the con could we pass it out there and have them bring it back by a certain time? Maybe that might work... ????
  20. BobaChris12 NE RSA & Buffalo, NY CR

Manager
    star 9
    Are all of the categories the same as last year? I want to make sure we have enough time to film our Fanfilm and get it out to you.
  21. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    yes all categories are same as last year no additions this year
  22. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    unless things improve, we are going to cancel this on march 1st. I cannot wait past then to determine if we have enough ppl to run the show or even make one. Sorry guys.
    I think the region as a whole has lost interest overall and particpation across the board in all activities have decreased.

Strawbary
  23. BobaChris12 NE RSA & Buffalo, NY CR

Manager
    star 9
    Sorry to hear that. Wish I could make it, but scheduling is not working out for me. You know if I could be there, I would.

I'm still here to help with anything you may need.

I can start bugging groups to send pictures and see what level of participation/interest there may be. I'll do my best to hit every forum shortly.

I can also put a photo slide show together.
  24. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    brother halo usually does the slideshow but hasnt stepped forward yet this yet. I think Real life is egtting aold of us all lol

Yes please bug the chapters for pics and i leave you with the slideshow. We just need to decide on a song this year. nothing stands out in my mind this year. Its sad normally we have a them already picked this year but nothing.

So if the very few of us left in this forum can decide on a theme for the awards this year that would be great :)

Then i can throw a program together around that shouldnt take me more than a day :)

Thanks chris for all your efforts even if you cant go helping getting it together is what i greatly need.

Can larry and janice help this year maybe throwing together lil candy bags? its open tot he public but i want to be able to hand out a lil bag with candy or something with our FF awards sticker on it. make sense? will need to know soon so i can let the Icon know we are handing out items as well so we have permission.

If not candyd maybe larry and janice can think of something to hand out a momentum or some sort?? let me know

:) *hugs* thanks Chris!
  25. BobaChris12 NE RSA & Buffalo, NY CR

Manager
    star 9
    I'll ask them, but strongly suggest staying away from teh gift bags. It's another things to worry about when thigns are already starting to get tough.

Maybe an alternative? I'll brianstorm.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.