main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Niagara, ON 2008 Grape & Wine Parade - Good News Bad News

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by YoungJediNiagara, Sep 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YoungJediNiagara

YoungJediNiagara RSA Emeritus FF Canada star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 23, 2001
    I've had a few people inquiring about our status/entry in the 2008 Grape and Wine Parade.

I have good news and bad news.

The GOOD news...
    Deb was able to put in our application early this year, and pay the $25 entry fee. We received our conformation in the mail, and we are permitted to be in the parade without any complications/restrictions like there was last year. We are essentially "good to go".

The BAD news...
    We DO NOT have access to the Mason Hall this year. Mainly because Deb and I are not going to be able to attend the parade event due to other commitments. And since Deb and/or I wont be there looking after the hall, the club can not use the hall.

So...If someone would like to offer another LARGE place for everyone to gather pre/post parade, and if a few others are willing to do the planning/organization of the Grape and Wine event, then the club will just have to forfeit it's entry in this years parade.

The parade info....
    Date: September 27th, 2008
    Time: Registration is at 9:00am, parade starts at 11:00am

2. Rabellaka

Rabellaka Jedi Master star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    If you guys get more information/a place to meet, there will probably be a van load coming from London area this year. Please let me know if anything else is planned.

3. TK42Tom

TK42Tom Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 3, 2008
    I work for the DSBN, I'll check into getting a gym/auditorium at one of the area's schools, if possible.

4. legoman

legoman Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 14, 2002
    We used to use Memorial school, but that was when Mr. Ring worked there, so there was little difficulty and no cost involved. If we have to pay for a custodian or other staff to be there, let me know how much, and I'll see if we can work something out.

5. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Hi TK42Tom! You look new.

6. TK42Tom

Sep 3, 2008
    I doubt we'd have to pay for a custodian, as that's what I do for the school board so I could clean up myself ;) You can request no custodial staff as well.

Hey Woofer, I am new but you already know me hehe. We met at the raffle.

7. DarthPapa

DarthPapa Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2007
    Is that Mr. Ring the math teacher??? I had him for Grade 7 math at Rutland in Chippawa.

Darth Papa

8. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB

STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2001
    It is great you guys are able to continue this great tradition that has inspired our own Jedi and troops down here. I just thought about it and I have been marching in this parade with all of you for 6 years. I know because after I marched in the first one, it inspired me to get us into a parade down here in the states. The next year we marched in our Lilac Festival Parade down in here in Rochester NY, and that has been 5 years. I sent in an article about it to the Rebel Legion COMLINK. Its in Issue 3.

Unfortunately this year I am not going to be able to join you. I already promised a good friend of mine that I would help him move and I do not get very many chances to help him out after all the times he has helped me in a jam. I am him one, at least.

9. TK42Tom

Sep 3, 2008
    I emailed the DSBN rentals, looks like no discount for me. I need to call them in person in the morning to find out availability and pricing/time. I will post when I have the information.

10. TK42Tom

Sep 3, 2008
    Ok Memorial School is available, since you are a non-profit charity it will cost $3.25 an hour to rent the gym and the washrooms, plus $11.38 for a caretaker to come and do the water flushing (required) for a half hour. That was alot cheaper than I thought it would be. I can cover the costs for the day so I'll book it for the parade day, from about 8 am to around 4 or 5 pm? Sound good?

11. legoman

legoman Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 14, 2002
    Thanks Tom, thats great! I was speaking to someone at the board office about this, and they also mentioned we had to pay $35/hr for the caretaker to be there the whole day. Is this still in effect?

12. TK42Tom

Sep 3, 2008
    That is still in negotiations. I'm trying my darndest to have no caretaker there, and I may be able to swing that tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.

13. Rabellaka

Rabellaka Jedi Master star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    Awesome, I'm really looking forward to the parade. It's one of the highlights of my year! :)

I know for sure that I'll be going, I'll find out if anyone else from London is coming (one person had to cancel). Are we still going to have a pot-luck afterwards?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.