Niagara, ON 2008 Grape & Wine Parade - Good News Bad News

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by YoungJediNiagara, Sep 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YoungJediNiagara RSA Emeritus FF Canada

star 4
    I've had a few people inquiring about our status/entry in the 2008 Grape and Wine Parade.

I have good news and bad news.

The GOOD news...
    Deb was able to put in our application early this year, and pay the $25 entry fee. We received our conformation in the mail, and we are permitted to be in the parade without any complications/restrictions like there was last year. We are essentially "good to go".

The BAD news...
    We DO NOT have access to the Mason Hall this year. Mainly because Deb and I are not going to be able to attend the parade event due to other commitments. And since Deb and/or I wont be there looking after the hall, the club can not use the hall.

So...If someone would like to offer another LARGE place for everyone to gather pre/post parade, and if a few others are willing to do the planning/organization of the Grape and Wine event, then the club will just have to forfeit it's entry in this years parade.

The parade info....
    Date: September 27th, 2008
    Time: Registration is at 9:00am, parade starts at 11:00am

2. Rabellaka Jedi Master

star 4
    If you guys get more information/a place to meet, there will probably be a van load coming from London area this year. Please let me know if anything else is planned.
  3. TK42Tom Jedi Knight

star 1
    I work for the DSBN, I'll check into getting a gym/auditorium at one of the area's schools, if possible.
  4. legoman Jedi Knight

star 3
    We used to use Memorial school, but that was when Mr. Ring worked there, so there was little difficulty and no cost involved. If we have to pay for a custodian or other staff to be there, let me know how much, and I'll see if we can work something out.
  5. Woofer Jedi Master

star 4
    Hi TK42Tom! You look new.
  6. TK42Tom Jedi Knight

star 1
    I doubt we'd have to pay for a custodian, as that's what I do for the school board so I could clean up myself ;) You can request no custodial staff as well.

Hey Woofer, I am new but you already know me hehe. We met at the raffle.
  7. DarthPapa Jedi Master

star 1
    Is that Mr. Ring the math teacher??? I had him for Grade 7 math at Rutland in Chippawa.

Darth Papa
  8. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB Force Ghost

star 4
    It is great you guys are able to continue this great tradition that has inspired our own Jedi and troops down here. I just thought about it and I have been marching in this parade with all of you for 6 years. I know because after I marched in the first one, it inspired me to get us into a parade down here in the states. The next year we marched in our Lilac Festival Parade down in here in Rochester NY, and that has been 5 years. I sent in an article about it to the Rebel Legion COMLINK. Its in Issue 3.

Unfortunately this year I am not going to be able to join you. I already promised a good friend of mine that I would help him move and I do not get very many chances to help him out after all the times he has helped me in a jam. I am him one, at least.
  9. TK42Tom Jedi Knight

star 1
    I emailed the DSBN rentals, looks like no discount for me. I need to call them in person in the morning to find out availability and pricing/time. I will post when I have the information.
  10. TK42Tom Jedi Knight

star 1
    Ok Memorial School is available, since you are a non-profit charity it will cost $3.25 an hour to rent the gym and the washrooms, plus $11.38 for a caretaker to come and do the water flushing (required) for a half hour. That was alot cheaper than I thought it would be. I can cover the costs for the day so I'll book it for the parade day, from about 8 am to around 4 or 5 pm? Sound good?
  11. legoman Jedi Knight

star 3
    Thanks Tom, thats great! I was speaking to someone at the board office about this, and they also mentioned we had to pay $35/hr for the caretaker to be there the whole day. Is this still in effect?
  12. TK42Tom Jedi Knight

star 1
    That is still in negotiations. I'm trying my darndest to have no caretaker there, and I may be able to swing that tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.
  13. Rabellaka Jedi Master

star 4
    Awesome, I'm really looking forward to the parade. It's one of the highlights of my year! :)

I know for sure that I'll be going, I'll find out if anyone else from London is coming (one person had to cancel). Are we still going to have a pot-luck afterwards?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.