2008 NFL Mock Draft Preview

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by RX_Sith, Jan 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RX_Sith C&G Game Host

Game Host
    star 5
    2008 NFL Mock Draft from Rivals.com, First Round

1. Miami (1-15)
    The Pick: Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU
    The Buzz: Dorsey is a dominant inside force who will impress Bill Parcells on film.

2. St. Louis (3-13)
    The Pick: Chris Long, DE, Virginia
    The Buzz: The Rams defense needs a playmaker up front.

x - 3. Atlanta (4-12)
    The Pick: Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College
    The Buzz: The Falcons must rebuild their offense, and the start with the most important position.

x - 4. Oakland (4-12)
    The Pick: Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas*
    The Buzz: The Raiders' Al Davis never passes on the chance for a superstar.

x - 5. Kansas City (4-12)
    The Pick: Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville
    The Buzz:The Chiefs are a total offensive disaster, and the quarterback spot is their highest priority.

6. N.Y. Jets (4-12)
    The Pick: Jake Long, OT, Michigan
    The Buzz: The Jets want to land a blue-chip offensive lineman, and Long is a fine bookend tackle.

7. New England (From San Francisco (5-11))
    The Pick: James Laurinaitis, LB, Ohio State*
    The Buzz: The Pats are looking for an impact player to add to their aging linebacker unit.

8. Baltimore (5-11)
    The Pick: Ryan Clady, OT, Boise State*
    The Buzz: The Ravens may draft into deep offensive tackle class this spring to replace Jonathan Ogden, who probably retires.

9. Cincinnati (7-9)
    The Pick: Sedrick Ellis, DT, Southern Cal
    The Buzz: The Bengals defense gives up too many big plays and needs a leader and anchor in the middle.

10. New Orleans (7-9)
    The Pick: Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State*
    The Buzz: The Saints defense gets smoked weekly, and Jenkins looks like the No. 1 cornerback in this class.

11. Buffalo (7-9)
    The Pick: Early Doucet, WR, LSU
    The Buzz: The Bills wants more playmakers to help their young passers develop further.

12. Denver (7-9)
    The Pick: Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss*
    The Buzz: The Broncos offensive line must improve for QB Jay Cutler to take the next step as an NFL starter.

13. Carolina (7-9)
    The Pick: Keith Rivers, LB, USC
    The Buzz: The Panthers linebacking corps would benefit from another strong defender.

14. Chicago (7-9)
    The Pick: Andre' Woodson, QB, Kentucky
    The Buzz: The Bears are hoping for a chance at a future offensive leader in the first round.

15. Detroit (7-9)
    The Pick: Vernon Gholston, DE, Ohio State*
    The Buzz: The Lions must improve their outside pass rush to be a playoff contender.

16. Arizona (8-8)
    The Pick: Calais Campbell, DE, Miami
    The Buzz: The Cardinals' defensive line must improve for this unit to move up to playoff level.

17. Minnesota (8-8)
    The Pick: Kenny Phillips, FS, Miami*
    The Buzz:The Vikings are looking to continue to build a playoff caliber defense - especially in the secondary.

18. Houston (8-8)
    The Pick: DeSean Jackson, WR, California *
    The Buzz: The Texans are looking to add a young playmaker on the outside.

19. Philadelphia (8-8)
    The Pick: Dan Connor, LB, Penn State
    The Buzz: The Eagles are looking to solidify their front seven on defense.

y - 20. Tampa Bay (9-7)
    The Pick: Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona
    The Buzz: The Bucs hope to return to defensive prominence, and the secondary needs help.

y - 21. Washington (9-7)
    The Pick: Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida*
    The Buzz: Joe Gibbs needs a big-time pass rusher for his front four.

22. Dallas (from Cleveland (10-6))
    The Pick: Reggie Smith, CB, Oklahoma*
    The Buzz: The Cowboys need to address problems on the corner, and Smith is a highly regarded defensive back.

y - 23. Seattle (10-6)
    The Pick: Steve Slaton, RB, West Virginia*
    The Buzz: The Seahawks are looking for an impact playmaker out of the backfield.

y - 24. Pittsburgh (10-6)
    The Pick: Alex Boone, OT, Ohio State *
    The Buzz: The Steelers plan to address their offensive line early in the draft.

y - 25. Tennessee (10-6)
    The Pick: Mario Manningham, WR, Michigan*
    The Buzz: The Titans are lacking playmakers in the passing game.

y - 26. NY Giants (10-6)
    T
  2. DRHJ9 Force Ghost

star 4
    I don't understand some of these picks...

I actually think that the Raiders will pass on McFadden, if they sign Justin Fargas back.

The Raiders need help in too many other places. I think they will go OL, Rec, S, or DT in the first round.

I don't think the Niners will go RB either. I think they will go OL, or WR.
  3. Drac39 Force Ghost

star 6
    The Bears will go for a RB before they take a QB. I could see them giving Orton a chance to get the starting QB position next year.
  4. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey Jedi Master

star 4
    Frank Gore is more than enough for the Niners. If Houston drops DeSean Jackson, SF might be lucky enough to land him. [face_praying]

If I could see him play in San Francisco, that would be awesome, to say the least.
  5. SLR Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    The Dolphins are going to trade out of the 1st spot. Parcells would rather have multiple picks then the #1 pick.

The Eagles, as long as Reid is still in charge of the drafts, will not take a linebacker with a first round pick. They don't see linebackers as a key position to draft in the first round.

Obese, I am not so sure that DeSean will be a good wide receiver in the pros. Although I can see him being a good special teams player, he had a tendency to disappear in big games. I am also not sure that he has the strength to get off the line if corners jam him in the NFL.

Finally, Antoine Cason should be a top ten pick. This guy is unbelievable and will be a playmaking corner in the NFL.
  6. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey Jedi Master

star 4
    Saying he disappeared in big games is a huge generalization. Though he didn't have a great season this year, he still performed in the biggest games, save a few. In the season opener against Tennessee, Jackson had the biggest punt return of college football this season. Against Oregon he caught 2 touchdown passes and had over 100 yards receiving. Against U$C, he was double-teamed on offense, and the Trojans punted away from him every single fourth down. In the Armed Forces Bowl he came back from the bench and caught a 40 yard TD pass that turned the game around.

In fact, this year Jackson has stepped up more in bigger games than in others. Look at the stats. What you said was true of him last year, but certainly not 2007.

He's not the strongest receiver, but if he stayed for 2008, he could definitely build up bulk and increase his stock. He'll still be a first rounder this year, but I agree that he could improve a lot if he stayed for his senior year.
  7. Jedi_Johnson Force Ghost

star 5
    Not trying to be a homer, but I was sorta surprised not to see Owen Schmitt on there. I'm hoping late first round for him after all, number ranked FB on a few lists out there.

And just for the record, Slaton has already stated that he's staying in Morgantown for his senior year.
  8. SLR Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Fullbacks never get drafted in the first round. It is not a premium pick. The top fullbacks always go in the 3rd and 4th rounds.
  9. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey Jedi Master

star 4
    Just wondering, but did I read somewhere that Slaton had less than 5 games this season with 100+ yards rushing? My eyes might have read that wrong, but I do remember that clearly.

And too bad for positions like kickers and fullbacks that they never (better to say rarely) get picked high in the draft. It's always about the WRs and the RBs and the QBs. :rolleyes:
  10. DarthIntegral Chosen One

star 7
    I love the NFL draft.

But I think this is way too early to be taking any mock drafts seriously. You have to wait at least until the deadline for underclassmen to declare, IMO.

Having said that, the thought of Little Animal playing for the Pats makes me sad.
  11. DRHJ9 Force Ghost

star 4
    I agree. the combine changes a lot of things.

I still like to speculate though....

When Lavelle Hawkins runs his 4.3 40, and shows his athleticism, his stock will rise...right Obese!!
  12. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm guessing early to mid 2nd round for the Hawk. Things are looking up for him!

Would be nice to see him in Bay Area colors, huh DRHJ9?
  13. DRHJ9 Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah, it would be cool if Jackson and Hawkins could play for the Bay area teams...one could hope:D

The both teams need help at REC, and the Raiders could use the Fan support.

I actually think that one or both have a very good chance. Kiffin is familiar with both, as is the niners scouting team.

I would not mind seeing Jackson stay for another year in college. If he can add a couple of pounds, and work on catching the ball over the middle more, he could win the heisman, and be a potential number 1 pick in the draft.
  14. RX_Sith C&G Game Host

Game Host
    star 5
    Players declared for 2008 NFL Draft (so far):

Name School Position Year
    Branden Albert Virginia OG Junior
    Martellus Bennett Texas A&M TE Junior
    Davone Bess Hawaii WR Junior
    Calais Campbell Miami DE Junior
    Jamaal Charles Texas RB Junior
    Ryan Clady Boise State OL Junior
    Anthony Collins Kansas OT Junior
    Jermichael Finley Texas TE Sophomore
    Brandon Flowers Virginia Tech CB Junior
    James Hardy Indiana WR Junior
    Derrick Harvey Florida DE Junior
    Erin Henderson Maryland LB Junior
    Jack Ikegwuonu Wisconsin CB Junior
    Ray Rice Rutgers RB Junior
    Pat Sims Auburn DT Junior
    Kevin Smith UCF RB Junior
    Taj Smith Syracuse WR Junior
    Aqib Talib Kansas CB Junior

Scouts Inc.'s Top 32
    Player Pos. School Grade
    1. Darren McFadden* RB Arkansas 99
    2. Chris Long DE Virginia 98
    3. Glenn Dorsey DT LSU 98
    4. Sedrick Ellis DT USC 97
    5. Matt Ryan QB Boston Coll. 97
    6. Jake Long OT Michigan 97
    7. James Laurinaitis* ILB Ohio State 96
    8. Brian Brohm QB Louisville 96
    9. Vernon Gholston* DE Ohio State 95
    10. Andre Woodson Jr. QB Kentucky 95
    11. Malcolm Jenkins* CB Ohio State 95
    12. Derrick Harvey* DE Florida 95
    13. Ryan Clady* OT Boise St. 95
    14. Kenny Phillips* S Miami 94
    15. DeSean Jackson* WR California 94
    16. Rey Maualuga* ILB USC 94
    17. Calais Campbell* DE Miami 94
    18. Keith Rivers OLB USC 94
    19. Mike Jenkins CB S. Florida 93
    20. Dan Connor OLB Penn State 93
    21. Limas Sweed WR Texas 93
    22. Early Doucet III WR LSU 92
    23. Felix Jones* RB Arkansas 92
    24. Jeffrey Otah OT Pittsburgh 92
    25. Samuel Baker OT USC 91
    26. Malcolm Kelly* WR Oklahoma 91
    27. Aqib Talib* CB Kansas 91
    28. Ali Highsmith OLB LSU 91
    29. Jonathan Stewart* RB Oregon 90
    30. Michael Oher OT Mississippi 90
    31. Mario Manningham* WR Michigan 90
    32. John Carlson TE Notre Dame 90
    * Denotes draft-eligible underclassmen/>
  15. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey Jedi Master

star 4
    QFT.

I wonder what's taking McFadden so long to enter the draft. I mean, he's in no hurry, but I expect him to go pretty soon, now that Rice has left school.
  16. RX_Sith C&G Game Host

Game Host
    star 5
  17. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey Jedi Master

star 4
    His daddy refutes that report.
  18. DRHJ9 Force Ghost

star 4
    I read that on SI.com. I wonder what the wait is for.

He should definitely come out. If he goes back, his stock could not get any higher. It might even go down some, if some other RB has a fantastic season, or he gets hurt. His team will not win a National title next year.
  19. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey Jedi Master

star 4
    They won't even win a bowl game, if they play like they did this past season. :p

Still waiting for DeSean Jackson to make his decision. There's still a bit of hope for him staying if it's taking him this long to make it, but I doubt he'll come back for his senior year.

Alex Mack, Cal's other possible early entry, has decided to stay in school like a good boy.
  20. RX_Sith C&G Game Host

Game Host
    star 5
    First Round Mock Draft 2008, Revised 2/5/2008.

(from draftinsiders.com)

1st Round

1. Miami - 1-15 - Matt Ryan - QB - Boston College
    The Dolphins need a tough talented leader to get them back to playoff levels and the Parcells will not hesitate to select the well developed spunky Ryan.

2. St. Louis - 3-13 - Chris Long - DE - Virginia
    The Rams will focus on both lines early and Chris gives them an early impact defender for a flexible front line.

3. x - Atlanta - 4-12 - Glenn Dorsey - DT - LSU
    The Falcons must totally rebuild at both sides of the ball and Dorsey could be the safest selection of the entire draft.

4. x - Oakland - 4-12 - * Darren McFadden - RB - Arkansas
    Al Davis rarely passes on a star caliber prospect despite bigger needs in other areas.

5. x - Kansas City - 4-12 - Jake Long - OT - Michigan
    The Chiefs once great offensive line has fallen tremendously over recent seasons and Jake would be a fine addition for a revamped unit.

6. NY Jets - 4-12 - Sedrick Ellis - DT - Southern Cal
    The Jets want to playmaker on their front line and Ellis has been an unstoppable force this season.

7. New England (San Fran - 5-11) - * Vernon Gholston - DE/LB - Ohio St.
    The Pats are looking for a young impact defender on their aging linebacker unit.

8. Baltimore - 5-11 - Brian Brohm - QB - Louisville
    The Ravens want one of the top two QBs and may have to settle for Brohm at this spot in the top ten.

9. Cincinnati - 7-9 - * Kenny Phillips - FS - Miami
    The Bengals defense gives up too many big passes and needs a playmaker at free safety.

10. New Orleans - 7-9 - Keith Rivers - LB - Southern Cal
    The Saints defense is not at playoff levels and Rivers would be a fine addition to quickly help revamp this struggling unit.

11. Buffalo - 7-9 - Malcolm Kelly - WR - Oklahoma
    The Bills wants a playmaker opposite Lee Evans for their young passers.

12. Denver - 7-9 - * Reggie Smith - CB - Oklahoma
    The Broncos secondary lacks talent and depth and they need to address this unit early and often this April.

13. Carolina - 7-9 - * Ryan Clady - OT - Boise St.
    The Panthers offensive line would benefit from a top flight tackle especially on the leftside.

14. Chicago - 7-9 - * Calais Campbell - DE - Miami
    Bears are looking for help on both lines, though FA direction will dictate early draft selections.

15. Detroit - 7-9 - Gosder Cherilus - OT - Boston College
    The Lions must improve their pass protection to be real playoff contenders.

16. Arizona - 8-8 - * Aqib Talib - CB - Kansas
    The Cards? secondary needs another top cover man for this unit to move up to playoff levels.

17. Minnesota - 8-8 - * DeSean Jackson - WR - California
    The Vikings are looking for playmakers at wideout and in the return game.

18. Houston - 8-8 - * Rashard Mendenhall - RB - Illinois
    The Texans are looking to add a young stud feature back to balance this attack.

19. Philadelphia - 8-8 - * Derrick Harvey - DE - Florida
    The Eagles want pass rushers to solidify their front seven on defense.

20. Tampa Bay - 9-7 - Antoine Cason - CB - Arizona
    The Bucs? are looking to rebuild a playoff caliber defense especially at cornerback.

21. Washington - 9-7 - Quentin Groves - DE - Auburn
    The Redskins are hoping to draft into the fine DE class for an impact pass rusher for their front four.

22. Dallas (Cleve - 10-6) - Mike Jenkins - CB - South Florida
    The Cowboys have big problems at receiver and cornerback that could be addressed with two #1 picks.

23. Pittsburgh - 10-6 - Jeff Otah - OT - Pittsburgh
    The Steelers hope to address their offensive line early in the draft especially at tackle.

24. Tennessee - 10-6 - Lawrence Jackson - DE - Southern Cal
    The Titans could face big losses in FA here that makes this position a top priority this spring.

25. Seattle - 10-6 - * Jonathan Stewart - RB - Oregon
    The Seahawks' are looking to the future here with Shaun Alexander slipping over recent seasons.

26. Jacksonville - 11-5 - Andre' Woodson - QB - Kentu
  21. DarthWormie Jedi Master

star 4
    Pats won't keep that pick at 7. They'd rather trade down for multiple picks. Even if the somehow end up with it, they won't take a LB. LB is a position Belichick likes filling with a veteran free-agent (think Phifer, Colvin, Vrabel, Seau). That way he knows exactly what they can or can't do at the pro level.

My guess is they'd go after a DB. They don't mind drafting high for someone they feel can be an impact DB.
  22. Django211 Force Ghost

star 4
    It makes no sense for the Bears to pick a DE. Ogunleye had a good year and Alex Brown showed at the end of the year why he shouldn't have been benched for pass rusher Mark Anderson. Considering the Bears lack a starting RB, have no reliable WRs, have an old offensive line, a lack of safeties, and to put it kindly "inconsistent" play at QB, they have far more needs than DE.
  23. Onoto Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Possibly, though the Giants showed that a bunch of productive DE can make the difference between winning the Super Bowl and losing it. The NFL is a copycat league, and teams are going to go after D-lineman who can rush the passer, even if they already have a solid pass rush.
  24. Grimby Technical Consultant

Administrator
    star 7
    I'm hoping Kenny Phillips is still on the board at #12. He could be the next Steve Atwater for Denver.
  25. RX_Sith C&G Game Host

Game Host
    star 5
    First Round Mock Draft: Dorsey's Stock Falling.

Updated 02-27-08: (from scout.com)

MOCK DRAFT: Round 1

Pick Team Player Pos. Height Weight School Class
    1. Dolphins Chris Long DE 6-3 272 Virginia Senior
    The Dolphins will look to trade this pick at all costs. This is a draft that doesn't possess a sure No. 1 overall pick, and this will prompt Parcells and Co. to look to secure more picks throughout the draft. But, if the Dolphins are unable to unload the selection, Virginia's Chris Long makes sense and gives Miami a high-motor guy with great character.
    Previous mock draft selection: Same

2. Rams Jake Long OT 6-7 335 Michigan Senior
    The Rams will decide between Jake Long and Sedrick Ellis at this pick. Glenn Dorsey is falling out of favor with his injury history, and not participating in any All-Star games or the Combine has hurt his stock. St. Louis' inability to protect Marc Bulger was a major problem last year, and even though Orlando Pace will return to the team, it's unknown how much longer he will play. The safe pick for the Rams is Long.
    Previous mock draft selection: Same

3. Falcons Darren McFadden RB 6-1 211 Arkansas Junior
    The Falcons won the coin toss for the right to select third overall, and they have a lot of options at this pick. Atlanta could entertain offers for this selection and move down, especially with Darren McFadden and Matt Ryan on the board. Also, Sedrick Ellis and Vernon Gholston are gaining a lot of publicity. But in the end, whoever is selecting third overall, McFadden is too good to pass up.
    Previous mock draft selection: Glenn Dorsey

4. Raiders Sedrick Ellis DT 6-0 309 USC Senior
    The Raiders will decide between Glenn Dorsey and Sedrick Ellis. Ellis has really elevated his draft stock since the end of the season. He's shown that even though he's short, he still has the ability to dominate inside, and in reality, his height actually helps him play with great leverage. Dorsey's intriguing, but Ellis is the pick.
    Previous mock draft selection: Darren McFadden

5. Chiefs Matt Ryan QB 6-4 228 Boston College Senior
    Personally, I don't think Matt Ryan is the best QB in the draft. I believe Brian Brohm is the best and safest QB selection in the draft. With that said, the Chiefs front office has strong ties to the Philadelphia and Northeast region and have studied Ryan's game significantly. Kansas City has other needs and could grab Dorsey at this pick, but Ryan is favored by the front office and will give incumbent QB Brodie Croyle competition.
    Previous mock draft selection: Brian Brohm

6. Jets Vernon Gholston DE 6-3 266 Ohio State Junior
    The Jets have a need for a quality pass rusher who can disrupt a game by pressuring the QB. Ohio State's Vernon Gholston is a physical freak who can line up at OLB or DE in the 3-4 and will add a lot of versatility to the Jets defense.
    Previous mock draft selection: Sedrick Ellis

7. Patriots(from 49ers) Aqib Talib CB 6-1 205 Kansas Junior
    This will be an interesting selection for the Patriots. New England has to add youth to their linebacker core and add depth to their secondary. The Pats could reach for USC's Keith Rivers at this pick or draft Leodis McKelvin or Aqib Talib. With Talib's size, speed and playmaking ability, the Pats get a quality corner who can start immediately.
    Previous mock draft selection: Vernon Gholston

8. Ravens Brian Brohm QB 6-3 230 Louisville Senior
    The Ravens have to identify a franchise quarterback and add some stability behind center. New head coach John Harbaugh, who comes from Philadelphia, understands the importance of having a franchise QB. With Matt Ryan off the board, the Ravens luck out and grab the draft's best QB in Brian Brohm.
    Previous mock draft selection: Matt Ryan

9. Bengals Glenn Dorsey DT 6-1 297 LSU Senior
    The Bengals desperately need help on defense, especially on the front four. Glenn Dorsey ends up b
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.