2008 Presidential Election: Who should be the Democrat Nominee? v2

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by NYCitygurl, Dec 2, 2007.

?

2008 Presidential Election: Who should be the Democrat Nominee? v2

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
Joe Biden 1 vote(s) 2.2%
Hillary Clinton 8 vote(s) 17.8%
Christopher Dodd 0 vote(s) 0.0%
John Edwards 5 vote(s) 11.1%
Mike Gravel 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Dennis Kucinich 2 vote(s) 4.4%
Barack Obama 28 vote(s) 62.2%
Bill Richardson 1 vote(s) 2.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    This is the updated version with all of the candidates who are going to be on the ballots when the primaries start.

If you don't know anything about the candidates, please check out this site, which will give you information on all of them.
  2. _princess_leia_ Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Barack Obama, though I do like Kucinich.
  3. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    Kucinich, despite the UFO thing.
  4. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    I chose Edwards. I've done my research on him, Clinton, and Obama, and I think he fits my wishes for the US's internal and external policies more than the others.
  5. JMJacenSolo Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm not wild about Hillary or Obama(Edwards has no shot), but I'll go Hillary.
  6. Hammurabi Force Ghost

star 4
    Never say never. Admittedly, it's looking less and less likely every day, but it's still a possibility.

My ideal candidates remain Al Gore and Wesley Clark, but unless something crazy happens, that's not happening. I wish Biden were viable right now, but he's not.

I dislike Hillary; whenever I've seen her speak, she seemed way too political. She generally seems more focused on politics than on the issues themselves. I'm also uncomfortable with another Bush or Clinton in the White House - it worries me that our democracy is that close to becoming dynastic.

I like Edwards, and he was my favorite for a while. However, I disagree with him about Iraq.

My favorite of the top three is Obama. I'm not 100% on board, though... I'm not too big on his economic policy, but then again, none of the front runners (on either party) have an economic stance I feel entirely comfortable with.
  7. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    I agree with Hammurabi; never say never. Sure, we're all thinking he's probably not going to get it, but you never know. My city's mayoral elections had a previously popular mayor running against an unknown; everyone thought the mayor would gain reelection; he was ahead in the polls and everything. I woke up Wednsday morning and he had lost. You just never know, and Iowa is going to really set the frontrunner(s) apart; that's what happened with Kerry four years ago.
  8. Hammurabi Force Ghost

star 4
    Same thing happened here. Greg Ballard ran a campaign with no substantial fiscal endorsement from the Republican party and managed to somehow beat incumbent mayor Bart Peterson. I think the difference in total funds between the two was something like $300,000 versus nearly $3m. You never know what'll happen.
  9. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Guess you're an Indy resident too :p The Ballard/Peterson race was the one I was talking about; didn't think anyone would know names :)
  10. Hammurabi Force Ghost

star 4
    I considered that possibility after I posted. And people probably won't recognize their names, but I figured I'd throw it out there.

I wasn't entirely surprised Ballard won - he gained a lot of momentum going into the race. I wouldn't be surprised if his campaign manager winds up with a real nice job sometime soon. He won a race that should have been impossible.
  11. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Some were pissed about the property taxes, others about the police merger (though I'm going to guess that more for the former). In my opinion, Ballard won not because people voted for him but because they voted against Peterson.

And a similar thing might happen with this race, though probably the ones against Hillary will vote Barack or something and vice versa.
  12. Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus

star 8
  13. Hammurabi Force Ghost

star 4
    Yup. Hillary's biggest obstacle is (and always will be) the Hillary-haters. I imagine that as other candidates drop out, Barack and Edwards will gain quite a few supporters, as the anti-Hillary camp bands together.
  14. jedikitty19 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  15. KELIA Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Despite the media loving Obama lately, I really believe sans a major scandal, Hillary has got the nom locked.

Whether she can win or not is a different question.
  16. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    I think she's likely to get the nomination, and I think her winning will depend entirely on who she's running against. If it's someone very conservative, she's got a chance. Against someone like Giuliani, who is respected by some Democrats, she might not be able to win; Democrats who aren't fond of her could vote for him.
  17. Rouge77 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Bill Richardson. But of those who can really win the nomination, Edwards, as he represents the type of a Democrat that they have needed as their candidate in able to win the elections for the last four decades: White, Anglo-Saxon Protestant male from the South.
  18. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    I like Richardson too. Kucinich, Richardson, Obama. But it probably will be Hillary, and then she will win the Presidency. Whomever wins the Dem nod will be President because from where I sit enough voters will not vote for an individual, they will vote to remove a Republican due to the last 7 years of garbage nad the fact that either most of the Republicans running either sound like more Bush or they have their own psycho view they run on.

Theneat thing about the three Dems I just mentioned, and throw in Edwards, is that they do not have the "picking the lesser of two evils" stigma. Most everyone else does.
  19. General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    QFA.
  20. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    Clinton could win, even with the irrational hatred against her in some circles. Both her and Obama are "mainstream" enough to win, but I don't think the U.S. is "ready" (see: still too racist) for a black president.
  21. ObiWan506 Former Head Admin

star 7
  22. Hammurabi Force Ghost

star 4
    I disagree. Outside of the Deep South, I don't think you'll find many hardcore racists. Sure, you'll find quite a few people who are mildy racist - the kind who specify that they'll vote for an "intelligent black candidate" - but Obama's sufficiently intelligent to convince all but the most steadfast racists. Who, mind you, aren't lining up to vote for Hillary.

I would actually go so far as to say that Obama's race is part of what captivates a lot of voters. There's a number of Americans (many of whom are white) who are attracted to the idea of a black President.
  23. timmoishere Chosen One

star 6
  24. Coruscant Chosen One

star 7
    Barack Hussein Obama. His face and his name contain so much meaning.
  25. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.