main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

2008 Presidential Election: Who should be the Republican Nominee?

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by TheBoogieMan, Nov 28, 2006.

?

2008 Presidential Election: Who should be the Republican Nominee?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. John McCain

29.7%
  2. Rudy Giuliani

40.5%
  3. Mitt Romney

10.8%
  4. Sam Brownback

1.4%
  5. Bill Frist

1.4%
  6. Newt Gingrich

1.4%
  7. Chuck Hagel

1.4%
  8. Mike Huckabee

1.4%
  9. George Pataki

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other

12.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    Poll suggestion by Kol_Skywalker.

This poll is now superceded by an updated version found here:

http://boards.theforce.net/census_and_games/b10264/27810337/p1/?10

-?Tyi

2. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    John McCain would probably be the only Republican that I would consider voting for, so I went with him.

3. SuperB_at_Pooh

SuperB_at_Pooh Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 9, 2006
    i really like john...but i think Rudy Giuliani will have the inside track

4. Darth Mischievous

Darth Mischievous Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 12, 1999
  5. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Same.

6. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I voted for McCain in the 2000 primary and will do so again in 2008.

America lost a great opportunity to have a truly great President 6 years ago, instead having a choice between a lazy dimwit and a pompous know it all.

7. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Rudy

Rudy

Rudy

8. _princess_leia_

_princess_leia_ Jedi Master star 6

Feb 23, 2004
    Rudy Giuliani

9. shinjo_jedi

shinjo_jedi Jedi Master star 5

May 21, 2002
    I've always had a lot of respect for Chuck Hagel, so I voted for him. I think he's a great mind, fairly moderate (not afraid to speak out on the Iraq War, as he has been for over a year, and just this week declared U.S. troops should pull out), and has the experience on foreign affairs to be a good president.

Rudy Guiliani, who could easily wint the general election, will have difficulty in the primary. Will a social liberal, who is pro-gay rights and pro-choice, be elected as the Republican nominee? I'm not sure, and I don't know if the religious right and the hardcore social conservatives will allow it, so it should be interesting.

Mitt Romney is probably the most likely candidate, and the best choice for the Republicans. A lot more appealing that George Bush, or Bill Frist, to the moderate voters, while he is still conservative enough to be favored by the right. Governor of MA is another key, and should be interesting to see if he'll take MA or not. As a Democrat, who wants a Democrat in office, I'm scared of Mitt Romney.

I'm just ranting on these and giving my thoughts on them, so sorry if they don't make much sense.

10. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    Bill Frist announced today that he won't run for President in 2008.

11. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    McCain. He's started to compromise his moderate status by pandering to the religious nuts, but I have a feeling that the socially-liberal beliefs of Giuliani would collapse under the weight of the national Republican Party. He doesn't have much of a chance of getting nominated, though, once Republican voters find out his stance on certain issues.

12. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    You beat me to it.

My vote? Me :D ! [face_flag]

OK, OK... Other/Tom Tancredo.

13. Kol_Skywalker

Jun 9, 2006
    Anyone think that age will be an issue with John McCain? If elected, he will be older than Ronald Reagan was when he took office.

14. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    Age might be a question, but I think McCain's an excellent choice. I think the pandering to the religious right is more due to the state of affairs within the GOP than any actual movement toward it.

Rudy would make a pretty good running mate, and a heck of a 1-2 punch that the Dems wouldn't be able to counter.

15. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    John and Rudy would make for a excellent ticket, and I say this as a dedicated liberal. I like that both are solid moderates, and have shown much common sense in the past on multiple issues.

If that was the Rep. ticket, depending on what the Dem. ticket looks like I would maybe give my vote to the Republicans for the first time ever. :eek:

16. NathanDahlin

NathanDahlin Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2000
    I am skeptical of McCain's chances of getting the Republican nomination. The hardcore conservatives (of which I would probably be considered a member) largely can't stand him due to a number of factors:

1. Strained relations with the religious right. He has bad-mouthed them in the past and, while he seems to be trying to mend those relations, I'm not sure how well it will work. Still, in the absence of another socially conservative candidate, he may well be able to overcome this.
    2. Judicial filibustering. He led the "gang of fourteen" that preserved the Democrats' ability to filibuster some of Bush's (well-qualified, IMHO) judicial nominees. Many considered this filibustering of qualified nominees to be shamelessly partisan and uncalled for. IMHO, the country would have been much better off if this tactic had been taken off the table.
    3. McCain-Feingold. He is loathed in the blogosphere for passing his campaign finance-reform act, which many believe to be an encroachment on First Amendment rights.

While these may not seem like hot-button issues to many Americans, each matters a great deal to conservatives and they, of course, are the ones who turn out in the greatest numbers during Republican primaries. In short, McCain's problem is that he's a Republican that appeals more to Democrats.

Personally, I'm rather disappointed with most of the the options in this poll. I thought that George Allen was a promising possibility, but given his recent Senate loss, he is probably unlikely to run for President. It's a shame that there aren't any prominent candidates that are both socially and fiscally conservative. Bush may be the former, but he most certainly is not the former and I would like to see some fiscal accountability restored to Washington. I'm sure as heck not expecting any from the Democrats now that Robert Byrd in charge of the Senate appropriations committee. Byrd has a reputation as a horrible pork-barrel spender, so this would be like the Republicans putting Ted "Bridge to Nowhere" Stevens in charge of appropriations.

17. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    McCain, FTW!

18. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
  19. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    John McCain should run and if he does he will more than likely get the nomination.He is the only Republican I really have deep respect for. I will definatly vote for him unless he's up aganist Obama.

I would vote for Rudy if he was facing Hilary though

20. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    If they are smart they will choose McCain.

21. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Rudy FTW!!!

Personally I think McCain is slipping.

22. Kol_Skywalker

Jun 9, 2006
    Why do you think he is slipping?

23. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    I vote for Tom Tancredo. He's against amnesty for Illegal Immigrants.

24. Kol_Skywalker

Jun 9, 2006
    I too like what Tom Tancredo stands for, however, members of the House of Representatives are rarely elected President, in fact, I think it only happened once?

25. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    I have no idea who any of those people are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.