main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[2008 Resolutions] Did you meet your goals?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by NYCitygurl, Dec 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Go back to the 2008 Resolutions thread and see what you wrote. Repost here and tell us how much you actually got done!

(Note: this isn't for 09 resolutions)

Mine were . . .

1. To complete my Saga drabbles on time - I did this!

2. To complete the drabbles I started for the first challenge Those are still undone

3. To finish The Halcyon Maneuver and at least start the sequel I'm surprised I put this at #3 :p but I managed to finish it, write the sequel, and start posting it.

4. To finish my 2008 Diary challenge on time and in the timeframe For the second year in a row . . . no. I haven't even looked at it since spring.

5. To pay more attention to the J/J and beta indicies I gave up the former and have not, unfortunately, for the latter.

6. To read the updates for stories I request PMs for within a week I've gotten a bit better at this, but still haven't conpletely managaed it (but I've made progress so it isn't totally bad :p )

7. Write a Beyond story again Nope. I have about a paragraph of one started and the idea for it, but I haven't gotten anywhere else.

8. Write more in Before Nope. I got 2 weeks into the drabble challenge with a before thread and let it drop.

9. Spend more time reading. I don't do it enough and I miss too much Again, unfortunately no.

So out of nine, I managed two and am working on a third. Wow I failed :p

2. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
  3. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    1. To finish all my current WIPs

I finished two of them! [face_dancing] But then I started four more...:oops:

2. Write down some plot bunnies that have been nagging me for eons

I completed this one, though now I have more bunnies filling in the gaps.

3. To actually finish my NaNoWriMo story this year.

[face_laugh] I didn't even START one this year.

4. To write another story for Beyond

I did this one for a challenge! :D

So I completed as much as I failed, wow I'm consistent...[face_blush]

4. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Huh! o_O I could have sworn I posted my resolutions last year. I remember thinking about it and I thought I posted them, but evidently not! Though I don't remember specifically what they were, I'm pretty sure I didn't accomplish them! [face_blush]

Congrats to anyone who even accomplished one of your goals... even doing one is better than nothing and better than a lot of people do! [:D]

5. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    1. Finish writing, and at least start posting, Galaxy of Suspects.

Finished writing it, started and finished posting it too.

2. Delete half the boards.

Sadly unachieved.

3. Get an archive submission in - acceptance not necessary, just to have sent one in

Check.

4. Delete the other half.

Fortunately unachieved.

6. Myriad_Daydreams

Myriad_Daydreams Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2007

1.Write something longer than a oneshot or vig - Yes!
    2. Post stories in an era other than just Beyond - Yes? Not sure
    3. Continue "Another Time, Another Place" - nope :(
    4. Write an OC story - Yes!
    5. A story without Mara in it - Yes!

Not too bad. Sorta :p

7. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    I had but one fanfic resolution: write more. Was it achieved? Yes. :)

8. Jaya Solo

Jaya Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 1999
    1. Finish Restoring Order. (Heh... that one shouldn't be hard since it's almost done!)
    Yes! Woo! I did one!

2. Write more of my third final installment of the Order series.
    Check. I said "write more" not finish writing, and I'm pretty sure I wrote more this year and not the year before. If not, that's just sad.

3. Write more viggies for the in between of the second and third part.
    Check. I believe I wrote at least one more viggie.

4. Actually post said stories.
    Fail. Didn't post them yet, but I want to have them mostly done before I do.

5. Finish Palpy's Blog.
    Nope, but I've decided it's more of an on-going blog. I did post more to it. I wouldn't want to deprive my almost two dozen readers without continued weird, wicked mirth by finishing it though. They'd probably enjoy an update though. :)

9. BigFatty

BigFatty Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2005
    1. Get caught up and stay caught up on drabbles while they last. Not sure how close I stuck to this. I finished the last round, and I'm up to date with the current drabble challenge, so I'm pleased with that.

2. Complete the Diary challenge. Granted, still have a couple weeks to go, but I'm two entries away from finishing this without getting kicked out of the competition.

3. Work on the J/J plot bunny that my friend kindly gave to me. This was not accomplished, but I participated in and won Nano. Does that count?

10. Jinngerbread

Jinngerbread Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2007

1. Stop lurking in so many stories and actually keep up with them on time.
    - I'm working on this one still, and actually not doing half bad, considering how much I used to lurk. :p

2. Write and post something at least once a week.
    I forgot I even resolved this one! So, nope. :p

3. Complete Book III of Triad Chronicles and hopefully begin work on book four. (Here's hoping DRL is kind..)
    Hah! We totally scrapped it, and it's going through a major reorganization/restructuring. Hopefully it's last. :p

4. Expand my horizons to include more than just Qui-Gon or OC related fics. (Not too sure about this one :p)
    I'm still more a Qui/Obi fan here. Though I have expanded to some extent and I read more Saga era stuff than I used to. So maybe on this one?

5. Be more sociable in the social thread and stop lurking in it :p
    Hrm, didn't remember this one either. :p Though I do post more now, but it's in the Geriatric Ward on the JCC, not the social thread. :p

6. Write and post an epic.
    I did write an epic! And I'm in the beginning stages of posting/revising it. :D So check on this one! w00t!

7. Be more timely with PT rewrite prompts.
    I'm no longer hosting, so at least I did what was best for the game and stepped aside.

8. Enjoy the forums more.
    Check! I've got this one covered, especially with all my fanfics, I'm quite enjoying myself now, more than I used to.

So I got about half of my resolutions, more or less, accomplished. Not bad at all, hopefully next year I'll do even better.

11. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    1, Finish Three New Sailor Senshi.
    Finished! :D Seven years, three computers and it's done.

2. Start some other ideas I've had for a while.
    Did those, yup.

3. Get archived.
    [face_plain] Not yet... not for lack of trying, though. This year is the year!

12. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    1. Blue Side. I swear I'm going to finish that story this year- really! And hopefully I'll finish its prequel, too, though I just started that one. But I want to be diligent about updating it, at the very least.

Ummm... nix on both those points. [face_blush] I've made substantial progress on Blue Side, though, and I think it's a realistic goal to have it finished in 2009.

2. I'm going to write stories that don't involve Knights of the Old Republic. Really truly.

I'm going to say I achieved this, for though I didn't manage to do that on the boards, I actually did make progress on my original fiction.

3. No more four-month posting gaps for me. happy This should be easier to accomplish now that I'm not in school anymore, but we'll see what happens when I get a permanent job and have to relocate. Still, I want to keep on top of things.

I'm happy to say I didn't leave anything hanging for four months. Two months, yes, but I actually didn't have much in the way of internet access during those months. So hoorah for that? I'm definitely on board with trying to keep the posting as steady as possible.

Two out of three's not bad! :D

13. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    1. I will finish 'Betrayal'. I will. I swear I will! What, you don't believe me?!

Well, you shouldn't believe me because I didn't. Darn it!

2. I will finish 'For the love of a son'. Yes, I know I've let it languish far too long but I want it done.

What's going on here? Not finished this one either. Jeepers.

I have another one that I can't post here but I want to finish that one as well. Then on to all those plot bunnies languishing on my computer.

That one should be done in a couple of days. About darn time!

Luckily, I got laid off/retired so that next year so I'll have more time to write.

Edit: finally finished the one I can't post here. Maybe now I can get back to Betrayal. It's been far too long.

14. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I did everything but one. I finished all the stories that I meant to finish for sure this year. I wrote a long Pink 5 story. I wrote not one but several pilot fics and I did not write every day.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  15. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002

It took a while, but yes I did!!

16. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Oh, I'd forgotten about making my resolutions last year!

-Well, I did no work on "To Overcome" at all.

-MOAM, however, is one chapter away from completion, and JL and I are working on that now.

-No chapter stories.

-But I did get "Thin Veil" archived.

So 1.5 out of 4. Not bad for me, Ms. Procrastination. [face_laugh]

17. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    I thought I posted 2008 resolutions, but apparently I didn't. So, since they were pretty much the same as my 2007 resolutions, I'll use those.

My 2007/2008 resolutions:

1) Update my WIP's more regularly
    2) Finish at least one of my WIP's

I abandoned them instead. :p

3) Be better at author replies. I love my readers and am so very grateful to them, but I fail at telling them so.

And I still fail at this. [face_blush]

4) Be a better reader/reviewer.

I'm...actually working on this.

Now to start thinking of the resolutions I won't keep in 2009! :p

18. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    This shall be embarrassing.

Umm... nope. Definitely not. If anything, it got an extra 20 chapters added to the outline.

Again, nope. [face_blush]

HA! I was right about the "maybe not" part. Definitely didn't even get past the first section, since it died and then I started a new outline for it.

Woot! I actually did some challenges this year and finished them! And then there's some challenges that I entered and... didn't complete... [face_shhh]

Yeah, I can say I did do this to a certain extent.

*looks at number 1 and sighs*

Nope.

Again... no. Sorry, Ish. :( [face_blush] A bad Padawan, I am.

Well, I really didn't fulfill my main goals for this year. Shall we ignore that then? [face_whistling]

19. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    Oh boy... let's see how I did...

1 - Finish Tragedy on the Landing Pad - by the end of March - wasn't finished by the end of March, but it was finished.

2 - Finish Consort Conundrum - not finished yet, but I have two weeks to do it, so all hope's not lost yet - and it's close, very, very close.

3 - Finish Hand of Fate - Nope. Not finished; outline's finished, but the story has a lot of ground to cover just yet

4 - Finish the 2007 Diary challenge fic. - Update; Completed - yup, did it :D

5 - Develop the Lost & Found arc into an epic style story once the short story is finished. Update; Short Storty Completed, longer fic in development - Finished the short story, but the epic arc never took off. I have the outline, I just haven't started writing it yet.

6 - Start and finish posting You'll Like me When I'm Dead - Started it; Daenarrah and I aren't finished writing the story yet, so a little tough to finish posting it. 2009 will have the goal of completing it

7 - Complete my long neglected Sabewan story - ouch, nope. didn't finish it; I did update it once though. It needs to be re-written.

8 - Complete the other four stories in two other fandoms I write in. - uh... If I remembered what 4 stories they were, I could tell ya. I think I finished the 4 I was thinking about at the beginning of the year, but I started others. Now I have to finish those.

To re-cap: I met a few of my goals, but certainly not all of them :)

20. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    God, do I even dare see what came of those? [face_worried]

I want to:
    - complete 'I, Boba' Nope, i think I wrote the whole of one update this year. :oops: Did some dabbling but that was all more structural that actual getting on. *sigh*

- finish the Leila/Jango series What series? :confused:
    [face_blush] And I left off in the middle of a short story, too. Good thing there's no e-murder, I might be dead several times over.

- write that epic Oh, yeah, at least Is till remember what epic I meant. :oops: Didn't get much anywhere with that, but wrote a diary that amde over 50k instead and is far from sinished...

- successfully participate in NaNo I did it! I won, I got a shiny certificate! [face_dancing]

- get some other fics finished.... I have no idea. Maybe I finshed something this year? When did I finish the Pooh crossover? [face_thinking] Well, probably I did.

Wow, that's a bad result. Good I did this before posting the new resolutions. now I can phrase them in a way that is less - specific. [face_whistling]

21. Drabbi-Wan_Kenobi

Drabbi-Wan_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    I accomplished everything I listed in that thread! [face_dancing]

22. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Mine were:

1) Complete the drabble challenge. I'm all caught up so, this one is looking good

Finished it on time!! :):)

2) Complete the dear diary challenge.

Nope - only got half-way there :_| :_|

3) Go beyond my comfort zone in writing by writing stories that feature characters I don't normally write.

Kinda sorta met that one. I've written a lot more of Shmi Skywalker and I've done a little with Luke and Leia. I still need to do more, though.

4) Write something for the Beyond saga. I've only done 1 little piece so far.

Did that!! Unbearable Truths & An Unexpected Hero and I've got a short story planned [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

Over all, not a bad year. :D

23. Corellian_Ale

Corellian_Ale Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 3, 2008
    Nope. No. And...ah, well, nope again.

Oh wait, there was...aw, nope on that too.

24. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    Well, I might be one of the most un-completed lists of resolutions out there...

-Finish "Under the Shadows" and never write another A/P again.
    Not done, since I don't know where it's going and the only way I can see of rewriting it would definitely turn into a TOS violation.

-Quit killing everyone in sight, a la "Lightsaber and Amphistaff."
    What with the way I write, there is usually a high body count.

-"Lightsaber and Amphistaff" is all written, and just needs to be posted!
    Yup, it's there. In my bio, there's a link.

-Stop being so angsty and explore more humor and romance.
    Hahaha... I could die laughing. My specialties are angst and drama and action.

-Get a good plot bunny for NaNo 2008.
    Yup. Did this. It's getting a major edit, since I'm missing 10-40K of plot and war and character description and so on.

-That Star Wars/Indiana Jones crossover bunny needs to either get written or else.
    Han Solo and Indy... Marion Ravenwood and Leia... Indy exploring the ruins of some Jedi temple...and then Han and Leia find it too... someone wanna help me with this? *gives plot bunny a carrot* This sounds like it's all in the humor genre.

-Become Dogbert. (um...wrong list, but it's a resolution, right?)
    Out, out, demons of stupidity! Dogbert's phrase that I use as the panacea for tech-support issues. But I digress.

-Drag my muse out from under the bed and get it working again so I can actually finish "Under the Shadows."
    See above for UtS, but the muse and I are... well, on Facebook, we would say "it's complicated."

-Put together something coherent for "Misguided Hope" and try to get the story running again? Do cookies lure in readers?
    I will rewrite this story and get it going again, but I just need to figure out where to start.

-Find something to do over the summer when I don't have high-speed.
    Borrowing the neighbor's wireless.

-Write more...
    Yup. Definitely did that.

So I think I accomplished about half of my resolutions. That's reasonable.

25. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    1) Spend more time around FanFic generally. Uni may have reduced my JC time almost to nil but I must have some spare hours to put in here.

Erm... demi-fail. 2008 was a pretty productive year story-wise (by my low standards :p ) but I still didn't spend as much time here as I intended.

2) Keep writing. Same reason as #1.

Pass! Some fic, some original, and I won NaNo with 80k. That and haven't yet failed a uni essay. Yay! [face_dancing]

3) Finish and post one of the three big projects I've been ruminating over for months now . . .

Total fail. I'll do it this year, honest. Really. The writing group we got set up for NaNo are going to carry on meeting, so there'll be offline motivation as well as on ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.