2008 US Elections: Shake Hands and Come Out Fighting

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Kimball_Kinnison, Jul 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    Or it could just be that Obama's been the better candidate, and the media's coverage reflects that.

But, that's far too simple an explanation, I'm sure.
  2. J-Rod Force Ghost

star 5
    Well, looks like that covers each and every point I asked about, thanks for the prompt reply.
  3. Mr44 VIP

star 6
    I wasn't responding to that post, I was responding to the notion that we should "give McCain a pass" on racial slurs because of his time as a POW. I'd give the 'average' POW a pass on using racial slurs against their captors, but I wouldn't give any presidential candidate a pass on using any racial slurs for any reason.

Sure, I agree with your overall point. But without any links, we don't know why this was even brought up. Did he make a new reference out of anger? Was he explaining how he felt when he was being held captive in the past? Specifically in the "gotcha" sense, we don't have any information. But yeah, I'm not sure how big a deal this is, given all the other issues.

4. AaylaSecurOWNED Force Ghost

star 6
    Yeah, for the record I wasn't asserting anything about what McCain did or didn't say in this instance, and I haven't read anything lately that would make me concerned about his current racial attitudes. I was just speaking generally.
  5. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
  6. Mr44 VIP

star 6
    Maybe, that's because 99% (barring unforeseen circumstances like a broken/dead link or something...) of the time, I supply links that examine what I'm posting about. I know you do as well.

I would never think about posting a statement like "apparently last night McCain (or Obama) did so and so... without supplying a link that supported what I was claiming. That's not a democrat/republican issue, it's a basic Senate forum issue.

Now, if you're suggesting that the majority of people who don't include links in order to be vague come from a particular political party, that's your claim, not mine.... [face_mischief]
  7. DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus

star 6
    "Robin Hood act"? It's a progressive tax structure, and Jabba has already covered it.

That's questionable, admittedly. But you know, I'd rather have a President more interested in taxing people domestically than killing people abroad. Call me a bleeding-heart liberal.

Since that's an imaginary issue, yeah, I think we will. Just because the only way Bush won in '04 was by controlling the media doesn't mean Obama is playing the same game. Sounds like a case of projection more than anything.

What mud have they "slung" comparable to McCain's, other than pointing out the hypocrisy of McCain's own mudslingings?

Private citizen my ass. He was a shill for McCain, and even if that weren't the case, if McCain is going to make the man the keystone of his campaign, I think it's perfectly within expectation that he's going to have every aspect of his life run over with a fine-tooth comb like everyone else who enters the public sphere.

Unless you want to talk about how the media should also "Leave Britney alone!" It's the fact of the 24-hour news cycle.

This will be remembered as the moment you lost credibility in this debate, pulling out the desperate old "Hussein" chestnut. I wonder, what's your middle name? I bet there's at least one serial killer who shares it with you. Should we take that as meaningful?

If that's true then that is an issue. I find it surprising that the donation website (I've donated twice) asks for all that information if they're not bothering to check its validity, but if they are then that is worth questioning. But somehow I'm guessing that is, indeed, just paranoia.
  8. J-Rod Force Ghost

star 5
    No no, really.

I love your theory that Obama is running such a strong campaign that the press felt obligated to, with no real accuracy, slander a private citizen who only asked a question of a candidate.

Go ahead! It's gonna be rivetting, I'll bet.
  9. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    I love your theory that Obama is running such a strong campaign that the press felt obligated to, with no real accuracy, slander a private citizen who only asked a question of a candidate.

It's slander to observe that he hasn't paid his taxes? I didn't realize reporting the facts was a slander in your mind.
  10. Mr44 VIP

star 6
    I wonder, what's your middle name? I bet there's at least one serial killer who shares it with you. Should we take that as meaningful?

It's Willie... Willie G.

J Willie G Rod <---Which might be a joke so obscure that no one gets it.... :(
  11. J-Rod Force Ghost

star 5
    I got it! (Willy G. Davidson is a decendant of the Harley-Davidson "Davidson")

And yes, my middle name is very popular amung serial killers and assains. Luck of the draw, I suppose. But if I hung out with a guy that dedicated a book to Sirhan Sirhan, as Ayres did, you could draw a line connecting the dots.

Unless my last name is Obama; in which case you'd be a horrible racist.[face_tired]
  12. AaylaSecurOWNED Force Ghost

star 6
    I'm personally pretty confused about why racism keeps making J-Rod so sleepy.
  13. Ghost Chosen One

star 6
    J-Rod, what mistakes do you think the Obama campaign has made since it started back in January 2007?

I've heard the more leftist supporters be critical that he voted for the revised renewal of the Patriot Act, and for the FISA telecom immunity bill, but I doubt that's what you're thinking of.
  14. Blue_Jedi33 Force Ghost

star 5
    J-Rod

Don't you know Obama is the teflon man, nothing sticks.
    And McCain is Velcro man everything sticks.[face_laugh]

It must be maddening for conservatives like yourself, well now you're getting a taste of what the other side has gone through for the last eight years with Bush.

It doesn't feel too good, does it?
  15. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    I almost feel sorry for the folks here. The ceiling of reality is going to come crashing down around them on Tuesday night.
  16. Mr44 VIP

star 6
    I'm personally pretty confused about why racism keeps making J-Rod so sleepy.

You know, is that face supposed to be sleepy? I don't think I've ever realized that. I always interpreted it as "tired" as in representing the feeling of being sick and tired... Like if someone mentions that they like bananas for the 6th time, you'd send out a "tired" face. In that sense, the tired face above didn't seem out of place.

And yes, the topic of bananas is a very serious one on a political forum.
  17. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    It's 53-44 in the ABC/WP poll today. Anything that has Obama at or above 50 is a good poll for him.
  18. Emperor_Billy_Bob Chosen One

star 7
    Truth is an absolute defense against slander accusations.
  19. DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus

star 6
    It seems if you're a neo-con, you'd say the reverse.
  20. Lowbacca_1977 Force Ghost

star 6
    Honestly, I don't get why anyone is taking Obama's name as meaningful, or giving it that much attention when it comes up.

Although, maybe I've a bias since my middle name is the last name of the shooter in the Port Arthur massacre.
  21. LostOnHoth Chosen One

star 5
    :eek: :eek: :eek:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.