main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sth Bend, IN 2009 college football thread

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by TAUNTAUN_WE, Apr 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TAUNTAUN_WE

TAUNTAUN_WE Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 23, 2002
    Since there's never a bad time to talk about college football....

This was on ESPN.com today: Paterno wants 12 teams in league

NEW YORK -- Penn State coach Joe Paterno said Thursday night that he has pushed within the Big Ten conference to expand it to 12 teams as a method of leveling the playing field in college football.

"We go into hiding for six weeks," Paterno said, referring to the hiatus between the end of the Big Ten regular season and the BCS bowls. The other major FBS conferences play into the first weekend of December.

"Everybody else is playing playoffs on television," Paterno said. "You never see a Big Ten team mentioned. So I think that's a handicap.

"I've tried to talk to the Big Ten people about, 'Let's get a 12th team -- Syracuse, Rutgers, Pitt -- we could have a little bit of a playoff.'"

I would think ND would always be the first choice, but how about Iowa State? They were in the top 50 in football attendance in 2007, not far behind Minnesota. That would make a nice conference rivalry in Iowa and would allow for geographical balance (Minn, Wisc, Iowa, Iowa St, N'western, Illinois in the west; MSU, UM, IU, Purdue, Ohio St, Penn St in the east).

2. ToneLoc

ToneLoc Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    I can't wait until ND Football Starts!!

I don't think ND will join the Big Ten, or any other conferences. This would mean, any bowl games they go to that they would have to split profit with the rest of the conference.

3. ToneLoc

May 16, 2002
    Only a couple of months until practice starts!!!

4. echo-3

echo-3 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    Great thread guys.
    I am hoping for at least a 500 season from my beloved Hoosiers.
    Love college football overall though. Love those Oct Saturday's with nothing to do but have a adult beverage and watch ESPN all day.

5. TAUNTAUN_WE

May 23, 2002

I see IU doesn't play the Spartans this year, so you don't have to worry about a loss there.

:p

6. garbagge59

garbagge59 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 23, 2004
    i don't know what to expect out of the boilers this year. all i know is that they don't have a quarterback. i don't think they even have an eigthback. (fractions + football = hilarity!)

7. TAUNTAUN_WE

May 23, 2002
    I guess not much has changed around here since last year, I was just thinking of who we have represented as far as fan bases go:

Notre Dame (Xmaveric, ToneLoc)
    Michigan (mercsailor)
    Michigan State (TAUNTAUN_WE)
    Indiana (MusicTrooper, echo-3)
    Purdue (garbagge59)

Anybody root for any teams outside the Midwest - any Big 12 or SEC teams?

8. ToneLoc

May 16, 2002
    TW, you forgot VIO for MSU. I won't tell anybody about your mistake.

9. TAUNTAUN_WE

May 23, 2002
    Who?

[face_laugh]

User Name: vaderisone
    Last Login Date: 12/23/08 4:54pm

10. ToneLoc

May 16, 2002
    Let's GO IRISH!!!

11. echo-3

echo-3 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    Wow , Cant believe there taking , what like 18 wins away from the Tide?

12. MusicTrooper

MusicTrooper Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2005
  13. Xmaveric

Xmaveric Jedi Master star 5

Nov 25, 2000
    From ESPN:

Want to add a reason to re-examine the football future? Of course you do. Start here:

Check out these numbers, from Quarterback A and Quarterback B.

Quarterback A: 406 of 685 (59.3 percent), 4,426 Yds, 32 TDs, 23 INTs
    Quarterback B: 329 of 604 (54.5 percent), 4,272 Yds, 26 TDs, 23 INTs

Quarterback A -- with the more impressive totals -- is Jimmy Clausen of Notre Dame.

Quarterback B?

The No. 1 pick in April's NFL Draft, Georgia's Matthew Stafford.

Both QBs were considered the nation's No. 1 QB prospect coming out of high school, and the totals are from when both started the majority of their teams' games as freshmen (Clausen started nine, Stafford eight) and 13 games as sophomores. Both also enrolled early to get a jump on college ball.

And while Notre Dame has taken its share of taunts over the last two years, a product of its 10-15 record, Clausen's development is as real as Stafford's when you consider surrounding talent compared to strength of schedule, and the Irish could be on the verge of a huge season because Clausen isn't the only one on a solid developmental track -- the whole program is.

14. TAUNTAUN_WE

May 23, 2002
    I would be cautiously optimistic, I guess. The soft schedule this year should allow the Irish to compile a great record (10-2?), but I think the risk will be that they'll repeat 2006 - nice record and a BCS bowl invite, but an embarrassing blowout in the bowl game. But we'll see - hope abounds for all of us in June. :)

15. vaderisone

vaderisone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2002
    Of course I believe my Spartans will be solid again. For the first time in over a decade we may lose to ND in South Bend, but probably not. Fortunately for us, Weiss is your coach.

16. vaderisone

vaderisone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2002
    Suprised my comments seemed to float so easily down the board. Guess the Irish fans have just realized it is their destiny to be owned by MSU

17. TAUNTAUN_WE

May 23, 2002
    VIO - they can only take so much abuse.

[image=http://enlightenedspartan.com/photos/MSU_ND_flagat50.jpg]

18. Xmaveric

Nov 25, 2000
    I'd like to ask a mod to remove the inflammatory picture above.

19. TAUNTAUN_WE

May 23, 2002
  20. ToneLoc

May 16, 2002

I was at that game, and I was not happy. I was P.O. That was unsportsmanlike, and classless!!! Still not happy about that flag posting.

Argh.

I am glad that coach is gone!

21. TAUNTAUN_WE

May 23, 2002

I completely agree.

22. Xmaveric

Nov 25, 2000
    Me three.

23. TAUNTAUN_WE

May 23, 2002
    Army and Notre Dame will play the first football game at the new Yankee Stadium in 2010

"Army and Notre Dame played each other at Yankee Stadium annually from 1925-46, with one of the two schools being ranked No. 1 each of the last four meetings at the famed baseball park. The most famous of those games probably was the 0-0 tie in 1946, when Army was ranked No. 1 and Notre Dame No. 2. The two teams last met at Yankee Stadium in 1969.

The Times Herald-Record, citing unidentified Army sources, said Friday that Army will also play games at Yankee Stadium in the 2011, 2012 and 2013 seasons."

This is why college football is go great, the history and pageantry. Baseball can match the history, and (arguably) the NFL knows pageantry, or at least marketing, but nothing combines the two like college football.

$0.02

24. garbagge59

garbagge59 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 23, 2004
  25. ToneLoc

May 16, 2002

I would love to go to this game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.