main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sth Bend, IN 2009 college football thread

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by TAUNTAUN_WE, Apr 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToneLoc

ToneLoc Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    I think it will be a very good season. Although, they have a soft schedule, but I would like to point out who is Florida playing in the home opener!! Some DII team, which doesn't count against the BCS rankings, but it counts as a win or lose.

2. ToneLoc

May 16, 2002
    dude from Boise St got knocked out!!

3. TAUNTAUN_WE

TAUNTAUN_WE Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 23, 2002
    Indeed - UF opens with...Charleston Southern?!?!?! This is from the csuniv.edu web site:

"Founded in 1964, Charleston Southern is located near historic Charleston and the beautiful beaches of the South Carolina coastline.

Charleston Southern is one of South Carolina?s largest accredited, independent universities, enrolling approximately 3,200 students."

:eek:

Oh yeah, they'll match up with the Gators. Isn't this kind of like Jimtown playing Penn?

Yeah, that was nuts. Guess he's gone for the year.

4. Xmaveric

Xmaveric Jedi Master star 5

Nov 25, 2000
    11.5 hours to go until KICKOFF!

5. mercsailor

mercsailor Jedi Master star 2

Apr 18, 2002
    The only game that disappointed me for reallies today was Ohio State.. if only cause it would have been great fun to call my friend Andy had Navy won.

still might be fun...

6. TAUNTAUN_WE

May 23, 2002
    So it's wins all around today for the teams of SBFF, right?

IU
    Michigan
    Michigan State
    Notre Dame
    Purdue

7. Xmaveric

Nov 25, 2000
    Man, if only Ohio State lost... That would have been epic. Like Michigan loosing to Appalachian State.

8. garbagge59

garbagge59 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 23, 2004
    or ND losing to Navy!

9. mercsailor

Apr 18, 2002
    I was at that game... with seats behind the Navy section... it was fun.

10. Xmaveric

Nov 25, 2000
    ND was not ranked 6th in the nation when they lost to Navy.

11. TAUNTAUN_WE

May 23, 2002
  12. Xmaveric

Nov 25, 2000
    Some wiki facts about Notre Dame:

Notre Dame's all time record stands at 831 wins, 284 losses, and 42 ties (as of the end of the 2008 season). The winning percentage of .7364 is second behind Michigan. Its 831 wins are third behind Michigan and Texas, while its 284 losses are the lowest of any college programs that have been playing football for 70 years or more.

Seven Notre Dame football players have won the prestigious Heisman Trophy. As of 2006, Notre Dame, Ohio State, and USC are tied for the most Heisman Trophy winners, with 7.

49 former Notre Dame players and coaches have been inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame, located in South Bend, Indiana. Notre Dame leads all universities in players inducted.

Ten former Notre Dame players have been inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, second only to USC (11).

Since the AP began certifying the winner of its national crown in 1936, Notre Dame has won more national championships than any other team in the country. The Irish have won eight titles (1943-46-47-49-66-73-77-88) -- with Oklahoma second on the list with six.

13. TAUNTAUN_WE

May 23, 2002
    fixed...:D

Some facts about Notre Dame in the last 50 years:

Notre Dame's record stands at 382 wins, 181 losses, and 8 ties (as of the end of the 2008 season). The winning percentage of .6760 ranks only thirteenth among I-A programs, between Florida State (.6863) and Auburn (.6733). Its 382 wins tie the Irish for twelfth with Auburn, while its 181 losses are the thirteenth lowest of any college program that has been playing football since 1959.
    source: *

Only two Notre Dame football players have won the prestigious Heisman Trophy since 1959. As of 2008, Notre Dame is one of seven schools with two winners in the last 50 years; USC has the most with 7, Ohio State and Oklahoma each have 4, and Florida and Nebraska each have 3.
    source: $

10 former Notre Dame players and coaches who were affiliated with the university since 1959 have been inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame, located in South Bend, Indiana. This ties Notre Dame with Ohio State. USC leads all universities in players active since 1959 with 15 inductees; Oklahoma and Penn State have 11 each.
    source: &

Only four of the ten former Notre Dame players inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame played or coached at the university since 1959.
    source: #

In the last 50 years, Notre Dame has won four national championships (1966-73-77-88), which ties them with Nebraska and Oklahoma. Alabama leads the list with 6, while Miami (FL) and USC are tied for second with 5 each.
    source: ~

Sources:
    * http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin/records/calc-wp.pl?start=1959&end=2008&min=300&ss=on&se=on
    $ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Heisman_Trophy_winners
    & http://www.collegefootball.org/halloffamers.php
    # http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/colleges.aspx
    ~ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AP_Poll#Final_AP_football_polls

14. mercsailor

Apr 18, 2002
    Seems no one wants to discuss yesterday's games..

I wonder why not =P

15. TAUNTAUN_WE

May 23, 2002
    Well...all that really matters for MSU is the Big Ten championship, so a loss to CMU isn't a problem. It's just nice to have games like that to work out the kinks before the conference schedule starts.

Right?

[face_laugh]

I didn't not see the end of the UM/ND game - I'm hearing a lot of grumbling about the refs. Irish guys - what is the story with that?

16. Xmaveric

Nov 25, 2000
    Yeah, there were a few calls that were questionable. But Notre Dame failed to execute, and had bad clock management which is what cost them the game.

17. ToneLoc

May 16, 2002
    penalties hurt us big time. We should had put 45 on the board.

18. echo-3

echo-3 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    Im still very disappointed by the ND loss.

19. Xmaveric

Nov 25, 2000
    BigEast Officials say the touchdown play should not have been overturned:
    http://www.wndu.com/ndfootball/headlines/59263772.html

Weis not happy with officiating:
    http://www.wndu.com/ndfootball/headlines/59199082.html

video:
    http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4473337

20. ToneLoc

May 16, 2002
    We need to move on from the UofM game, and be ready for MSU... MSU is looking for a big win after an embarrassing to loss to Central Michigan.

21. TAUNTAUN_WE

May 23, 2002
    That is true - both teams have something to play for, to get the taste of last week out of their mouths. Should be a great game!

22. ToneLoc

May 16, 2002
    I wonder if Doug E. Doug is going to the game?

23. TAUNTAUN_WE

May 23, 2002
    What do you mean?

:confused:

EDIT:

Oh wait, you mean VIO!! Sorry, guess I'm a little slow tonight. 8-}

24. Xmaveric

Nov 25, 2000
    ToneLoc likes to use people's real name here on the forum. It's his shtick.

25. CarboniteHan

CarboniteHan Jedi Knight star 3

May 11, 2007
    Go Irish! Crush Spartans!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.