main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

2009 Costume Projects

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Benae_Quee, Jan 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Happy New Year!!! So what does everyone have planned for this shiny new year?

Myself...
    Finish Light Blue Tatooine Padme
    Finish Dk. Blue Tatooine Poncho
    Remake Black Corset and Gauntlets for Fireside Padme, Finish new Necklace
    Ewok Village Leia
    Maybe a Historial gown (haven't decided which century yet)
    Padme Deleted Scene Light Blue Midriff
    Remake Imperial Officer coat for myself and hubby
    Kaylee Shindig Dress for Dragon Con

It's a short list for now, but as with last year, I'm sure only a small part of this will get done while other projects I never planned creep in.

2. navarre1095

navarre1095 Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2005
    That's the SHORT list?

3. Benae_Quee

Nov 15, 2002
    That is short for me LOL

Some of it is mostly done (Padme dresses), only 4 things are true start from the ground up costumes for me :D

4. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    2008 had been a very unproductive year for me :_| so hope 2009 will be better.

Anyhow, here's my list and hope I can finish at least 1/2 of those from the Planned List [face_praying]

COSTUME TO BE COMPLETED VERY SOON:

1. ROTJ Biker Scout
    2. Harry Potter Cloak

ACTUAL COSTUME/ARMOR PLANNED LIST:

1. HUFFLEPUFF SCHOOL UNIFORM
    - HBP Movie Premiere July 2009

2. IMPERIAL SCANNING CREWMAN VER 1.1
    - Anytime
    - 90% Completed for Basic CRL Fulfilment. 70% Completed for ANH Accurate

3. IMPERIAL OFFICER (NAVY-GREY)
    - Anytime
    - 60% Completed (already got Uniform, 2x Code Cylinder & maybe Boots)

4. HOTH SCOUT TROOPER
    - STGCC August 2009
    - 40% Completed

5. IMPERIAL CREWMAN VER. 2.0
    - 50% Completed (aka this is the new accurate jumpsuit for my TIE Pilot)

6. VOYAGER UNIFORM (SCIENCE/MEDICAL)
    - Star Trek Movie Premiere May 2009

7. ROTJ LUKE/YUN/NJO SI-ADDIEN
    - Anytime

8. CHITOSE
    - Cosfest 2009 OR ComicFiesta/EOY 2009

9. ITHILIEN RANGER
    - STGCC August 2009

10. ROTS PADME MEDICAL GOWN
    - Anytime
    - 10% Completed (only got Polyester Fabric and Simplicity Pattern)

11. LUCY RED DRESS VER. 1.1
    - Anytime
    - 60% Completed

IF GOT MONEY & TIME COSTUME/ARMOR TO DO

1. SAINT SEIYA HADES CHAPTER (MANGA) PANDORA HADES OUTFIT VER. 2.0
    - Cosfest July 2009 OR ComicFiesta/EOY December 2009 OR AFA November 2009

2. IMPERIAL OFFICER (ARMY-BLACK)
    - Anytime
    - 40% Completed

3. SAINT SEIYA KANON SANCTUARY OUTFIT :p
    - Anytime

4. ROTS Padme Steel Blue Gown
    - Anytime
    - 10% Completed (only got Silk Satin and McCall's Pattern)

9. YVAINE STAR GOWN
    - Anytime

10. POA HERMIONE (DARKER COLOR TONE VERSION)
    - Anytime
    - 10% Done (only got Sweater)

11. LUCY SCHOOL UNIFORM VER. 2.0 (OR 1.1)
    - 30% Done (only got Shirt, Shoes & Tie)

12. SUSAN SCHOOL UNIFORM
    - 30% Done (only got Shirt, Shoes & Tie)

13. PANSY PARKINSON VER. 2.0
    - HBP Movie Premiere
    - 80% Completed (Need Correct Wig, Tie Pin and MAYBE new Robe)

14. TTT ELVEN ARCHER/HALDIR
    - Anytime
    - 30% Completed

15. RELOADED TRINITY COAT VER. 2.0
    - Anytime

Ya, I know the 3nd list is a bit ridiculous but who knows, I might get a few of them done this year. [face_thinking]

5. luminousbeing78

luminousbeing78 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 9, 2005
    Now that my can can is totally completed, my 'dream list' for the year is:
    1. Willie Scott gown (finished the gloves, have the dress pieced together but not embellished)
    2. Sarah's ball gown from "Labyrinth"
    3. a gown inspired by "The Duchess"
    Don't know if I'll get to #3, the baby keeps me busy...but if the stars align just right, I'll have #1 and #2 ready for Dragon Con. :)

6. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Heard that. Just wait till she's a toddler. She'll keep you even busier! :p

On that note, if I get two costumes done this year for D*Con it will be a miracle. :)

7. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    As the same as always, my list for this year is very short, but that's fine with me, I've got wedding planning until August. :p

Vash the Stampede from Trigun for my fiance - take a look at my holiday icon
    Dark Mousy from DN Angel...if said fiance will allow it...[face_whistling]
    Krad from DN Angel...if said fiance will allow Dark

Fix up my wedding gown - sewing on fallen off beads and making a bustle if I can on it
    Make veil - if I decide to make it rather than buy it
    Finish fifth version of Pastel Gown

Yeah, pretty short compared to previous years. :p

~Spacelady

8. LeiaYT1300

LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    I guess I'm in the camp of not being as prolific this year as I was in past years. But the two costumes that did get done - Boushh and Chewbacca - were worth all the time and effort. :)

This year will be different and it all depends on how quickly things progress:

Queen Isabella, from The Fountain
    - I'm still in the process of gathering materials for this costume (mostly a ridiculous amount of pearls and trim to get - do you know how many bloody pearls are in this costume? - it's frankly astounding!) and I hope to start it this spring. The goal is to have it finished in time for a formal reveal at DragonCon.

Leia's Rebel Briefing Uniform with Poncho
    - It's the last film Leia costume that I haven't done. I've got a projected start date of the middle of this month for this costume, once I finish up some last-minute projects.

And I have a list of upgrades and tweaks to the Leia costumes I have now and to my husband's Han costumes - nothing drastic but if he and I lose the weight we plan to this year, some things will have to be taken in for sure and that's I chore I'm looking forward to. ;)

Other than that, I have a few costumes that will be started this year but they will not be completed until Celebration 5:

AOTC Padme Costume
    - It's a secret but the correct movie has already been guessed right at the Padme Purple Senate Gown thread. Now I leave it up to you wonderful ladies (and gentlemen, too) to guess which AOTC costume it is. :D

Custom-designed Leia Gown, post-ROTJ
    - I've had this gown roiling my head for years, essentially a formal gown in similar scale to the elaborate Padme gowns. Granted, Leia has the Bespin gown but this would be something appropriate for a formal diplomatic ball or other such high-level occasion. And there will be formalwear designed for Han as well. :)

Other than that, I have a few additional projects that may or may not get started this year but are certainly slated for 2010, including Han's Hoth outfit (I would love to have that finished in time for C5) and some Leia graphic novel costumes I'd like to realize some day (maybe in time for C5 also, since some of them are relatively simple).

So here's to a prosperous and prolific costume year for all of us! :)

9. Kelldar

Kelldar Jedi Youngling

Sep 6, 2003
    I'm just kinda playing it by ear this year... not really making any kind of set schedule :) Here's the stuff I would like to do this year:

Silk Spectre I from Watchmen (movie version) - working on this now
    remake of my Belle ballgown from Beauty and the Beast - to go with my husband's remake/update of his Beast costume from a couple of years ago
    Golden Age Black Canary from DC Comics
    Leia's Bespin Gown - I want to finally start on the embroidery for it - I've had it basically put together for a long time now, I just need to buckle down and get back to it
    Princess Nuala from Hellboy II
    Dawn - I started on a Dawn costume for Dragoncon last year and had to set aside to get everything else done, I want to finish it this year.
    Magik from New Mutants
    a different Poison Ivy outfit from Batman
    something from Marie Antoinette
    I'd like to do another concept art Padme outfit. Don't know which.
    another Wonder Woman variation... maybe :)
    Belle's christmas dress from Beauty and the Beast/Enchanted Christmas

My husband also got me a lovely new top hat for my Zatanna costume for christmas, so I've been looking for something else to use it for, and I have a few things from this past year I need to revisit... who knows, I may end up only doing 2 or 3 things from that list kinda like I did with my 2008 list LOL

10. Benae_Quee

Nov 15, 2002
    I'm going to take a stab in the dark and guess Padme's Blue Poncho :)

11. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    Right now, these are my goals for the year.

New:
    Miss Mercy Hartigan
    Endor Leia poncho & helmet
    Steampunk Leia
    At least one comic book Leia costume
    Evil Jeannie (from I Dream of Jeannie)
    Sarah's green gown from Labyrinth
    X-wing Pilot

Finish/Upgrade:
    Hoth Leia
    Sheltay Retrac
    Barbie Fett (always)

Remake:
    Senatorial Leia

12. SoA

SoA Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 2, 2008
    I'm heading abroad next fall for a fellowship, so I'm trying to cut back and save money, but I still need some sewing projects to keep my fingers happy.

Finish up:
    Juhani from KotOR I

For Graduation:
    Hurricane Pixie's 'princess' dress from the collaborate fiction my friends wrote, The Killer Pixies

Maybe make since I have some materials for them already:
    Manga-style Super Sailor Mercury from Sailor Moon
    Crystal from Pokemon (the female player character from Pokemon Crystal)

Start working on in India, time and materials allowing:
    Q'Anilia from the KotOR comics

I hear textiles are beautiful and cheap in India, so I'm sure I could find something lovely for Q'Anilia's purple robes. At the very least, I'll bring back the fabric for it.

13. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    Wow! Spot on! :D

Kristin gets the cuddly monkey! [face_monkey]

I know you said it was a stab in the dark but I'd love to know how that one came to mind over all the others, just out of sheer curiosity. [face_thinking] :)

14. Benae_Quee

Nov 15, 2002

Well in the other thread you said 'Machine Embroidery', since you said the movie was right in this thread, but said nothing of the picnic dress I thought of all of the other embroidered possibilities. Looking at the Leia costumes and how comfy and simplistic they are, I noticed that the blue poncho seemed very 'you' - comfy, elegant, simple in form and design, but still a challenge and something new for you :D

That is my Sherlock Holmes breakdown lol [face_peace]

15. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I have quite a clear idea of what costumes I would like to do, and hopefully my economy will allow it.

1 classic ANH Leia
    2 1860's daydress
    3 redo my corset for the picnic gowns
    4 start on a secret costume I've had in my head for a couple of years.

The two first ones are the main costumes for this year.

16. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    And to that, I say, "Bravo, Holmes! Brilliant deduction!" =D=

I was never very good at building a mystery anyway. I always leave too many clues. :p You are right, though. I chose it because of its silhouette (will hide my big hips well; though curling my bum-length hair will be a very interesting experience [face_worried]) and its simple elegance, but also because it's a gown that hasn't been done too often. All of Padme's AOTC gowns are beautiful in their own right with some that hold a very strong popularity like the Picnic Gown, the Packing Gown and the Senate Gown - of which each have been done so beautifully by ladies of great skill in our circle - so I felt it might be nice to do a Padme that was just a tad off the radar. It means not just machine embroidery in my future but also fabric dyeing, for which I have done only a little here and there over the years. If anything, this venture will mean a whole host of new experiences for me and new skills to learn.

'Hope you like the cuddly monkey, Kristin. I though the alien might be fun but just not as cuddly. ;)

17. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    I failed to get much of anything done last year. I didn't even post to the project thread last year because I just had that feeling I wasn't going to get anything done. Go in with a defeated attitude, and you come out of the year defeated I guess. All I completed were 4 pair of converted Battlestar OD BDUs, 1 BSG Duty Blues uniform for a friend, 1 X-wing Pilot costume for myself, and a 1/8th completed Marie Antointte (the movie) inspired 18th C gown. Why is it only 1/8th complete? Because I rushed it and the bodice doesn't fit correctly. I didn't finish the trim either on the sleeves and skirt. Oh, and the skirt hem ripped the night I wore it so now I have to totally resew the skirt :oops:

But my New Years resolution is to be even more productive this year, and have more of a can do attitude! I have too many projects in the works that I've gotta get done before any major life altering occurrences take place. I know I can't do ALL of these this year. But I'll do what I can, and carry over to 2010.

1) Finish a second set of Battlestar Duty Blues for a friend (must be done by end of February!)
    2) Finish my 1860s Christmas Day Dress ensemble (for Dickens fair & Costume Con in May).
    3) Fix my 18th C gown so I can wear it to Dragon Con and Costume Con.

--------- Beyond this point, no particular order or priority assigned yet-------------

4) Padme Ep II Packing Gown
    5) Possible secret costume for Dragon Con 09 (depends if I can get in shape for it and if others in the group will be a *go*)
    6) Padme Ep I Parade Gown
    7) Zam Wesell
    8) Stormtrooper
    9) Padme Ep III fuzzy dressing gown
    10) Husband wants a 19th Century costume for Dickens Fair
    11) Harlequin Can Can from Moulin Rouge
    12) Battlestar Flight suits
    13) Padme Picnic Dress re-do
    14) Redo my purple senate headdress (It's 1/3 of the way done actually)
    15) Velvet robe for Padme Family Gown
    16) Cassiopeia Battlestar Galactica 1970s
    17) 1860's pink striped ball gown

------- No fabric for things below, but they might work their way in because hubby needs costumes --------------

18) White "Ship of light" Battlestar 70's Costume for my husband
    19) Major Healey for my husband
    20) Jeannie's Evil Twin Sister (I know stormtrooperprincess is planning this. I've had it in mind ever since I made my first Jeannie costume and my husband really started encouraging me to make it last year).

18. jedilucass

jedilucass Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2002
    Here's my short list for '09. Hopefully I don't get a room mate, so I'll have a sewing area here on campus.

Finish Atonement Green Gown
    This is almost done- and out of my hands. I've got a wonderful friend who is more talented than I who is going to finish this one off. I'm just running around being weird about shoe choices and hair.

Finish Black Corset Gown from Episode Two
    This is about 50% done right now.

And then onto new projects....

Princess Serenity from Sailor Moon
    This has been in my head for a while, and I've been planning out how to translate a cartoon gown into real life, while keeping the "princess" aspect to it. This is the big project this year.

and my wish list...

-flame handmaiden gown (TPM)
    -new padme costume. Haven't figured out which one. maybe picnic, maybe one of her senator costumes.

that's about it. Good luck to everyone!

19. princessleia911

princessleia911 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2005
    It is that time of year again. Costuming projects, reflections and predictions :D

Last year(still weird saying that) my accomplished list looked like this:

Padme ROTS Blue Linen costume and redo
    Padme ROTS Steel Blue Veranda gown upgrade
    Padme ROTS Aqua Georgette gown(still need to finish the embroidery on the front panels)
    Padme ROTS Mustafar tunic and gauntlets v3.0
    Padme ROTS Dressing Gown
    Padme AOTC Rainbow Lake Dress(bought this one but I did make the hairpiece and small alterations on the dress)
    Padme CW White Battle accessories(almost finished Purple Hat and Cape)
    Padme AOTC White Battle version 2.0 top and pants
    Padme AOTC Black Corset upgrade of corset and gauntlets
    Obi-Wan CW chest armor(for a friend for DCon)
    Ahsoka headpiece(still need to finish this one for a friend but first time casting)
    Smallville Lois Lane(for our DCon group and pic with Rosenbaum)
    Evil Smallville Lois(she was a sexy witch from Season 4 and we did a group at DCon)
    Atonement Green Dress(bought this one but still another step out of SW costuming for me and it made the hubby happy ;)
    Rachel Dawes Green Dress from TDK(again for a DCon group but I am sucker for a green dress, it seems, LOL)

Other costumes I need to finish(in no particular order):

Amidala TPM Red Invasion Gown(I need to line one sleeve with fur & attach it on the dress, pipe the dress, finish the collar & the headpiece)
    Amidala TPM Parade Gown(I just need to finish the dumb parasol on this one)
    Leia Boushh(have done all the hard parts, now just need to start the soft parts)
    Padme ROTS Water End Gown(have some nice cloak fabric and some silk metallic tissue for the dress and great sequins but this one is another one I need to start)
    Padme ROTS Green Cut Velvet(Going to dye my own silk velvet from Thai Silks, gotta get the custom sleeve lining and need purple silk for sash and lining)
    X-wing Pilot(Got the flightsuit, cool working comm pad, boots, flare holder and ordered a flak vest. Also have a half put-together helmet kit, still need harness and other parts)

Well for 2009, I am currently working on the following for NYCC(early Feb):
    Padme AOTC Naboo Nightgown and Robe
    Anakin AOTC from the same scene for hubby(basically I have to make the inner tunic b/c he is just wearing that and pants and boots)
    Count Dooku for hubby(working on the tunic and cape, all other parts done)
    Secret costume for me(might not be done in time but I have others ;))
    Secret costume for hubby(non-SW :D)

Beyond that, I would like to make(in no particular order):
    Padme AOTC Loyalist Gown
    Padme AOTC Picnic Gown(just start this one)
    Padme AOTC Packing Gown
    Padme ROTS Burgundy Gown
    Padme ROTS Purple Senate Gown
    Anakin AOTC outer tunic, obi and cloth tabs and robe for hubby
    Anakin ROTS for hubby
    Jango Fett(need to finish this for my son)
    Padme CW Tan Outfit
    Another Smallville Lois

I am quite ambitious so hopefully I will get to all that somehow ;)

20. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    I am trying to only finish projects...and not start any new ones.

Finish my Hoth Backpack for Hoth Trench Soldier
    Hoth Hangar Soldier (I completed the Hoth Trench Soldier)
    Hoth Hangar Tech
    and
    all the upgrades to my full size R2...

21. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    I am trying to not take on commissions too much this year. I got burnt out at the end of last year. But I've already been asked to do a Tusken Female for someone. That will be something because they live in the UK and I'm here. :eek:

Here is my list:

• Finish Jawa mask for friend

• Ashoka for daughter

• KittyHawk - custom costume for me

• Poof Fairy - special costume for D*Con
    • ;)
    • New RenFaire costume

• Secret costume for husband [face_shhh]

• Yarna - my constant WIP [face_hypnotized]

22. DARTHLARS

DARTHLARS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    This year, I want to finish:

Clone trooper. I haven't decided on version.
    ESB Snowspeeder pilot.

.. and also make new tunics and pouches for my Jedi costume, to replace old parts.

23. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Finish:
    Mara Jade
    Jaina Solo (x2)

Start:
    Leia Bespin
    Darth Caedus (for a friend)
    Possibly a Rebel Pilot for my husband

Re-make:
    Hoth Leia
    Ewok Village Leia

Haha yeah right:
    Leia as Boussh

24. DewbackRider88

DewbackRider88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    Finish:

1) BPRD Agent (selma blair auction clean-up style)
    2) 10th Doctor (brown suit and blue suit)
    3) CW Jedi General/Biker

All these only need a few bits and pieces either buying or making.

If I have the money, the time and the will to get yet another costume, I might do a DS9/Nemesis grey-shoulder starfleet uniform.

25. Neimhaille

Neimhaille Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2002
    The to finish list got a bit bigger as I have started five Regency dresses so my friends have something to wear to a Regency Picnic I sprung on them for this weekend ;)
    I may have just started a spencer for myself as well....

The list goes:
    Regency dresses, including my lizzy dress and spencer (inspired by the BBC 95 roduction)
    Swiss dress aka "Kampfrau" in lilac and burgundy. New Wulsthaube cover and probably nice huge Wulst to go with it to earn the name "mushroom hood".
    Spanish white silk brocade c1600 ensemble. I may have ironed the pieces last night and sighed a bit over how much I love the fabric.
    Mara Jade- I need to organise shin guards, they have been putting me off finishing this thing for too long.
    Silk Spectre II, I just bought the overlocking thread so I may as well get me some fabric soon.. (PVC rather than latex, it lasts longer and breathes better.. it actually breathes I men ;) ).
    Jem, for a group. So fun and tacky!
    Heuke, cloak type garment for my Cleves ensembles, it's mostly cut out just needs assembling.
    Victorian Hunting outfit. About 75% done but I'm going to take out the lining and redo it.

And there are a few more that may be subbed in for this list depending on what happens this year :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.