main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Awards 2009 Fanfic Awards Volunteer Sign-ups

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by KELIA, May 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Credit to JadeSolo for writing, like, 99%, of what follows.

Yes, it's that time again.

Every year, the Fan Fiction forums hold three grand ceremonies to celebrate stories we love from each era. It's a big production full of love, laughter, and many sleepless nights graciously donated by the volunteers who run the shows. There are three main stages: nominations, excerpts, and voting. During nominations, you nominate a story, author, or character for each category. If your story gets enough noms to qualify, during the excerpts stage, you put together excerpts that will be posted for everyone to peruse. Finally, there's the voting stage, where everyone casts their votes for their favorites. A few days after that's over, it's ceremony time! We have rules you need to follow during each stage, but those will be posted when the time comes.

So how can you help?

We need suckers, lots and lots of suckers....ah...ahem...*cough....*cough.... I mean, we need volunteers, lots and lots of volunteers :D

Overseer

The Captain America of the show, the overseer is the last stop for all decisions and dictates general procedures. We have discussions and surveys from past years for you to consider when working out all the administrative details and rules. The overseer also helps pick the host for each era. If you want to be our Captain America, you must be someone who's willing to devote a whole hell of a lot of time this summer, because you'll be double-checking votes every day for every stage of the process, plus double-checking votes before the ceremonies. You'll also be handling issues like improperly formatted submissions, double votes for one category, and general insanity.

Really, we need someone who can herd cats. But we'll take someone who can herd cows. We'd prefer someone with previous Awards experience, but if you've done an excellent job managing index threads or challenges, we'll consider you as well.

Lieutenant Overseer

If the Overseer is Captain America, I suppose that makes you Bucky Barnes but, y?know, the important cool modern Barnes, not the lame kid. Maybe you?re more like USAgent. Bear with the allegory here. The Lt. Overseer will have responsibilities somewhere between the overseer and the volunteers. Whenever the overseer isn?t available, the Lt. Overseer can step into those red military boots and fill in on all those duties mentioned above.

Again, previous Awards experience is very helpful.

Hosts

It's the mini Justice League! You're responsible for picking volunteers to serve at your bidding, but the fun doesn't stop there. You get to organize a schedule for when your volunteers do their assigned tasks, how they do their tasks, and how you want those results sent to you. You also have to send those results in turn to the overseer, who may want you to use a particular format. It's a lot of counting, double-checking, and hair-pulling. You also need to be on the lookout for submission goofs. But don't worry, there's a light at the end - you get to write the ceremony for your era!

As with the overseer position, we prefer people who have previous Awards or thread managing experience, but show us you can handle the heat, and we'll consider you.

Volunteers

Evil minions, we need you to sell your souls to us. You're responsible for doing whatever the hosts and overseer tell you to do. You need to be available regularly enough that you're not forcing others to pick up the bulk of your work. But at the same time, you get to hobnob with other crazy folks in a private forum. How exciting!

No previous experience of any kind necessary, though counting abilities will help.

Entertainment Host

Hey there, Joker! You're in charge of collecting entertainment submissions for all the eras and turning them over to the era hosts. You can offer suggestions to potential entertainment writers, or even create a few pieces yourself. You also need to be on the lookout for any content that may be over the family-f

2. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    I volunteer to be a volunteer from "Beyond". BTW, do the awards now include NSW's stories, or is that separate?

3. BigFatty

BigFatty Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2005
    Last I heard, NSW stories will not be having awards.

I'm more than willing to work as a volunteer for Saga or Beyond counting noms/votes and such, but I'm going to be taking a break from having a big role this summer. However, I'm more than willing to share the spreadsheets for nomming and voting I have stored on my computer, as well as my Word document for the Saga Awards ceremony I wrote two years ago to whatever Overseer or Host needs them.

4. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    BF is correct, the awards are only for the SW forums. :)

5. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Ah, yes, another year and I'll probably do my usual stint of contributing massive amounts of entertainment. :)

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  6. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    I'm willing to try my hand at being an evil minion in Before the Saga, or Beyond.

7. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Face, you'll always be evil to me. [:D] How much time commitment would there be this year?

8. KotORBF2Female_Revan

KotORBF2Female_Revan Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 21, 2009
    I volunteer to be a volunteer for Before or The Saga.

9. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002

Bolding so it catches attention; I'm not yelling :)

NSWFF will not be joining Fan Fic's awards or having our own.

I've volunteered three years in a row, so I think I've served my time :p However, I'd be very happy to join the help desk crew, adn I've got last year's entertainment that I never posted in a concise place (I'll go dig up the thread).

10. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    I volunteer to be a volunteer in Before or Saga.

11. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    I'm...touched? :p

12. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    I'll vollunteer to be a minion for Before the Saga. :)

13. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Call me crazy but I had fun last year so I'll volunteer to be an evil minion again for either Before or Saga.

14. GeneralKenobi7

GeneralKenobi7 Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 18, 2009
    I volunteer to be an evil minion for The Saga:)

15. Jinngerbread

Jinngerbread Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2007
    Well I took a year off last year, and am ready to get back to work. :D

I'll volunteer to be a host for any era, or overseer or Lt. Overseer.

Is it really summer already? :p Where did the year go?

16. path-seeker

path-seeker Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2008
    I'll volunteer as a helper for Beyond.

I'm happy to count, or do anything that involves numbers.

17. Corellian_Ale

Corellian_Ale Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 3, 2008
    What the fudge, I'll volunteer for bean counting in before or beyond!

18. Nienna_Narmolanya

Nienna_Narmolanya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    I can't pass up my chance to be an evil minion. [face_devil] I volunteer to be a volunteer for Saga. :)

19. THE_PIED_PIPER

THE_PIED_PIPER Chapter Rep Knoxville, TN star 4

Jun 8, 2006
    I'll be happy to volunteer over in The Saga. :)

20. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    I'll be happy to volunteer for anything, for either Before or Beyond.

21. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    We have volunteers - Excellent [face_devil] [face_devil]

What we really need are hosts and overseers - yes, that's where the realy dirty work lies :p

We have 3 ceremonies, so we need 3 hosts and at least one overseer, though we are not opposed to two. So, if you haven't already PM'd a mod with your interest, please do so.

Also, I will be available for the Help Desk. :)

22. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Since noms start very soon, when will we start finding out if we're involved?

23. Jedi_Master_Cazz

Jedi_Master_Cazz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2005
    I'd love to volunteer and write some entertainment pieces, I've got some great ideas! I promised myself I'd have something to be nominated this year but I failed at that, so I'd love to help in any way I can!

24. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    Since noms start very soon, when will we start finding out if we're involved?

We are in the process of finalizing things now and we'll get the announcements out and up A.S.A.P :)

25. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I've already told my fellow mods this a few weeks ago, but I'll add this here as I'm about to volunteer for evil minion... :p

Since the awards are usually held on Saturdays, I already know I won't be able to participate. My husband works out of town and is only home one full day a week, and that is Saturday. If, by chance, the awards are held on Friday or Sunday nights, I'll be there dressed to the nines. :D

I was going to wait to see if this was necessary, but a PM prompts me to go ahead and do this now. I'd like to withdraw all of my works from contention for any awards this year. :) I've had a great time, but since I won't be able to participate as much as I would like I feel it's only fair.

I look forward to another great year!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.