main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Awards 2010 Beyond Fan Fiction Awards - Ceremony Saturday at 12 board time! Voting complete

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Beyond_Fanfic_Awards, Jul 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beyond_Fanfic_Awards

Beyond_Fanfic_Awards Beyond FanFic Awards Sock star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 8, 2005
    2010 Beyond Excerpt Thread

Welcome everyone to the Beyond the Saga Fan Fiction Awards thread. Just a "few" important things to address before the fun begins.

PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING:

What this thread is for:
    -to list nommed fics
    -to list qualified fics
    -a place for you to ask questions about the rules and awards process
    -a reference thread to help you throughout the awards process
    -pointing out mistakes in our nomming lists

What this thread is NOT for:

-celebrating your nominations (while we are happy for you, this is not the place to throw a party--take it to PMs or IM)
    -a place to discuss your personal nominations since that is private information. If you have a question on whether or not a specific nomination was counted, please discuss it with us via PM.

The Nominating Process:

1) Register! If you have not registered, your nominations and/or votes will not be counted. If you have not registered, just PM Voter_Registration and say that you?re registering for the awards, and you?ll be good to go!

2) Go through and get ideas of whom you want to nominate.

3) Be sure to check whether the fics you are going to nominate are eligible for that particular award before sending us your nominations.

4) Be kind to the volunteers and use the following template to send in your nominations.

Genre

Best Alternate Universe
    {link=paste the url here]type or paste the title here{/link] by type or paste the author's name here

Best Canon
    {link=paste the url here]type or paste the title here{/link] by type or paste the author's name here

Best Action

Best Drama

Best Romance

Best Humour

Best All Around (at least one scene of each genre - romance, action, drama, humor)

Style

Most Underrated (a story that averages 6 or less readers per post)

Best Response To A Challenge

Best Songfic

Best Poem

Best Crossover (a story that mixes Star Wars with another movie, tv series or book)

Best Short Story (multiple posts and 30,000 words or less)

Best Epic (over 30,000 words)

Best Vignette (1 post only)
    {link=pas

2. Beyond_Fanfic_Awards

Jun 8, 2005
    MASTER LIST OF NOMINATIONS

Master List is current as of: 12:51am 7/26/10 Board Time FINAL UPDATE

Genre

Best Alternative Universe
    Symbols by RedGold
    The End of all light by Yoda Kenobi
    The Mist Upon the Hill by Jedi-Ant
    Luminescence by vader_incarnate
    Bad Blood by madman007
    At the Brink of the Dawn and the Darknessby blank101
    The Reason I Didn?t Update by MsLanna
    Namesake by padawan lunetta
    Thank you Yuuzhan Vong by Zadann_MaRanna
    Familiar Stranger by Jainasolorocks
    Against the Empire by Thrawn McEwok

Best Canon
    Recognition by CelesteAntola
    Fire and Ice by FelsGoddess
    Soil, Sand, Stars by jed_of_ennth
    Serendipity by Gabri_Jade
    The Pyre by FelsGoddess
    Transpiration by Knight_Aragorn

Best Action
    Oath of Knights by Zadann_MaRanna
    Enter the Foreign by ViariSkywalker
    Tarfang and the City of Lost Jedi by Robimus
    Rising Tides by JediKyle23
    Endgame by FORCEBlLADE
    The Lands of the Dead by YodaKenobi

Best Drama
    A Father?s Heart by EmpressJainaSoloFel
    Fragile by pregnantpadme
    Dying of the Light by Lady_Tahiri
    Breakfast by obaona
    At the Brink of the Dawn and the Darkness by blank101
    The Uprising by FelsGoddess
    En

3. Beyond_Fanfic_Awards

Jun 8, 2005
    Qualifying List of Nominations

Qualified List is current as of: 12:51am 7/26/10 Board Time

*Finalized unless something is shown to be ineligible*

Genre

Best Alternative Universe
    Symbols by RedGold
    The End of all light by Yoda Kenobi
    The Mist Upon the Hill by Jedi-Ant
    Luminescence by vader_incarnate
    Bad Blood by madman007
    Namesake by padawan lunetta
    Thank you Yuuzhan Vong by Zadann_MaRanna
    Familiar Stranger by Jainasolorocks
    Against the Empire by Thrawn McEwok

Best Canon
    Recognition by CelesteAntola
    Soil, Sand, Stars by jed_of_ennth
    Serendipity by Gabri_Jade
    The Pyre by FelsGoddess
    Transpiration by Knight_Aragorn

Best Action
    Oath of Knights by Zadann_MaRanna
    Enter the Foreign by ViariSkywalker
    Tarfang and the City of Lost Jedi by Robimus
    Rising Tides by JediKyle23
    Endgame by FORCEBlLADE
    The Lands of the Dead by YodaKenobi

Best Drama
    A Father?s Heart by EmpressJainaSoloFel
    Fragile by pregnantpadme
    Dying of the Light by Lady_Tahiri
    Breakfast by obaona
    At the Brink of the Dawn and the Darkness by blank101
    The Uprising by FelsGoddess
    [link=http://boards.

4. Beyond_Fanfic_Awards

Jun 8, 2005
  5. Beyond_Fanfic_Awards

Jun 8, 2005
  6. Beyond_Fanfic_Awards

Jun 8, 2005
    There was a problem with the PM link of who you were supposed to send your nominations to.

If you sent in anything already and clicked on one of the links in the original post, please resend it to Beyond_fanfic_awards... aka the poster of this message you are reading.

Also the links in the thread should be fixed now.

Sorry for any confusion.

Edit: This only was a problem the first 2 hours the thread was up. I doubt anyone sent anything in to the other Sock but just in case you did. Everything should be functional now, so happy nominating!

7. Beyond_Fanfic_Awards

Jun 8, 2005
    First update of nominations is in! YAY... if you see any problems with links or anything else please respond and let us know and we will take care of it.

Get those nominations in guys! We have volunteers standing by! Good luck to everyone!

8. darksideyesplease

darksideyesplease Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2005
    If anyone notices any mistakes, broken links we might have missed... whatever. Please let me know and I will fix it.. or attempt to. [face_peace]

Also we have several more days to get noms in but don't wait until the last minute! Never know when something might come up that might stop you from getting those in. Hope everyone is ready for an entertaining ceremony at the end of August!!!

9. Beyond_Fanfic_Awards

Jun 8, 2005
    As the nomination page begins to fill up, I just want to remind people to look over it if you have already sent in your nominations. If you see something missing that you nominated, please PM the sock and let the volunteers know.

We try hard not to miss anything but everyone makes mistakes and we don't want to leave out anyone's picks. To my knowledge we have not yet had to disallow any nomination for a category as of yet, so if you nominated something as of 9:49am board time on the 22nd of July (every nomination sent in should be tabulated and updated as of this time) and don't see it up here, please bring it to our attention. We can always use another set of eyes to catch errors.

10. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess and Champion star 4 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
    I'm thrilled that someone nominated my story for Best Short Story, but since Enter the Foreign is actually over 30,000 words, it's ineligible for that category. [face_peace]

Lol, pretty much the same thing happened to me over in the Saga thread, too. :p

11. darksideyesplease

Feb 12, 2005
    Thanks for pointing that out. I'll remove it and PM the voter.

Edit: Another error caught in the Best Villain category. Voter has been nominated.

12. G__Anakin

G__Anakin Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2006
    Hey, you're going to have to remove my Best New Author nomination. I've written before.

13. Beyond_Fanfic_Awards

Jun 8, 2005
    I've notified the nominator. Thanks for being honest.

14. Beyond_Fanfic_Awards

Jun 8, 2005
    And that everyone, concludes the Nomination period for the 2010 Beyond The Saga Fan Fic Awards!

Thanks to everyone who participated by sending in your nominations!

We had so many author's nominated (something like 56 different author's)

So congratulations to everyone who has been nominated and good luck to everyone from here on out!

If you didn't get your nominations in on time you can still vote for the current list of nominee's starting August 12th, so your voice can still be heard!

P.S. The nominee list is not finalized. Updates are still to come on it, so don't freak out if you don't see your nominee up there just yet. PM's to all qualified author's will be going out in the next few days!

15. darksideyesplease

Feb 12, 2005
    Again, congrats to all those nominated.

All the PM's should have been sent out concerning submitting your excerpts and what stories you qualified for.

If for some reason you did not receive the PM, let me know ASAP and I'll get on it. Sent 55 PM's or so in the last little bit so it is possible I somehow skipped a name on accident. But I'm pretty sure I got everyone.

Looking forward to receiving those excerpts as well as the ceremony on the 28th! I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did when writing it up!

16. G__Anakin

G__Anakin Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2006
    If my whole story is shorter than 800 words, do I just use the whole thing as my excerpt?

17. Beyond_Fanfic_Awards

Jun 8, 2005
    Yes, you can use the entire story if it is less than 800 words.

18. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    For the "Best Author" excerpt, can I use any story I've written in the past year or does it have to be an excerpt from one of the nominated stories?

19. darksideyesplease

Feb 12, 2005
    I don't see any rules against that.

Technically someone could get nominated for Best Author and nothing else. So they would have to choose something. So yes, anything you please.

20. Beyond_Fanfic_Awards

Jun 8, 2005
    Since I have received several questions in both this thread and in PM's, I thought it might be prudent to give everyone a prime example of excerpts. Take a look at last years and hopefully that will give everyone a better idea.

2009 Excerpt Thread

21. blank101

blank101 Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 20, 2008

Hi:)

I have an excerpt question...

In the post you sent to me, you requested that all links be broken, by stating, "This means that all [ i] need to become {i} before you send anything in."

My question is, do you want me to substitute both [ ] with {}, as you've written in the post, or just the first [, as you've written on this board, (as in [ = { ).

I'm assuming the link will be broken if I just substitute the first [ for a { (and thus halve my format-editing time!);)

Thanks[face_peace]

22. darksideyesplease

Feb 12, 2005
    either way works.

I simply use Find/Replace All in Microsoft Word, so it's really not very much editing at all.

Edit: Just a note to everyone, Excerpts are completely optional.

23. blank101

Nov 20, 2008

Find/replace! Of course! Thanks![face_peace]

24. Beyond_Fanfic_Awards

Jun 8, 2005
    Just a quick update. If you have sent your Excerpts in and have not received a PM back for any reason or another that means they are currently sitting in a word file and we have them. [face_peace]

Voting starts August 12th and runs until the 22nd. So if you have a favorite story to vote for please make sure you do so during that time period.

If you need to make arrangements to vote before because you will be out of town please PM darksideyesplease or the sock and those will be accepted on a case by case basis.

25. blank101

Nov 20, 2008

Hi. Glaringly obvious, probably, but I just want to check - I send excerpts to the Beyond_Fanfic_Awards, as highlightd in red at the top of the page, right :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.