2010 FIBA World Championships

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by DarthIntegral, Aug 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIntegral September Tiemaster

Game Winner
    star 7
    We've got icons, we've got a game. Might as well get an official thread.

And, while this tournament is no where near as big and important to it's sport as the FIFA World Cup, it is a pretty awesome major international tournament, and with the resurgence of USA Basketball, poses some good drama, too.

Of course, Team USA hasn't won the event since 1994. And, they don't exactly have their best squad. Once again, they are short on shooters, and thanks to injuries and insurance, they are short on big men, too. And, with Kevin Durant leading the way, they've got some great young talent that can really excel in the international game if the defense can play well, force bad shots, and get long rebounds to start fast break opportunities.

Team USA is also trying to regain the #1 overall rankings in the FIBA Rankings. They currently sit second behind Argentina. This, despite the fact that the USA is the reigning Olympic champion and Spain is the defending World Champion.

So, plenty of good subplots to go around. Team USA should have no trouble getting out of group play, but all it takes is one night of the opponents shooting lights out to upset them out of the tournament, so while they are favored to win, I certainly wouldn't bank on it.

Anyone else excited for this and going to be following it?
  2. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I'll follow it. It probably won't get the scrutiny that the World Cup did, but I'll keep my eye on it. Is it on ESPN, TNT, or a different channel?
  3. DarthIntegral September Tiemaster

Game Winner
    star 7
    ESPN and ESPN3.com, I believe.
  4. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    I won't be watching closely but I'm hoping to watch at least some of it and keep track of what's going on. Should be fun :)
  5. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    I just hope Spain dosen't win. They have had a glorious summer already(world cup, Contador in Tour de France, Nadal winnign French and Wimbledon).

Greece is looking very good. They beat Canada by some obscene score recently.(123-49)
  6. New_York_Jedi Force Ghost

star 6
    I'm hoping the US press like hell once the actual tournament start. I'd love to see how the euro guards do with Westbrook/Rondo harassing them all 94 feet.
  7. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    International courts are like 91.5 feet. One of the small differences
  8. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Well, it started today. I think I knew the US was playing today, but I had no idea when. Either way, they demolished Croatia in the opener, 106-78. Durant had 14, and Eric Gordon had 13 off the bench for the Americans.

Hopefully this team plays well...a lot better than the 2006 showing or the 2002 debacle.
  9. DarthIntegral September Tiemaster

Game Winner
    star 7
    Spain goes down to France!

Pretty big upset.

Doesn't mean much, as Spain will be getting out of the group, but a big upset anyways.
  10. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Oh, wow, that is a shocker. Spain had a double digit lead at one point in the first half, if I'm not mistaken.
  11. DarthIntegral September Tiemaster

Game Winner
    star 7
    Yes, they did. Early on, it looked like Spain was simply going to run away with the game.

Of course, Spain lost their first game in the FIFA World Cup, too, and we all see how that ended up for them ... :p
  12. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    True. :p

I hope Spain doesn't win it...they already got that tournament this summer.
  13. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Saw a bit of the game today against Slovenia... nice win (99-77) but I wasn't overly impressed by the defense I saw. Then again, what I saw was the last half of the third quarter and the fourth quarter, and the US was already up by about 20.
  14. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I keep forgetting that these are on tv. :oops: I'll try to catch the next Team USA game.
  15. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Brasil is leading the US by 3 at half...Team USA needs to figure out how to stop the pick and roll, and then they'll be doing okay. They have some adjustments to make, but nothing too major.
  16. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Looks like the US is up two now in the third... Durant's got 22, but no other American is in double figures. Someone give him some help!
  17. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Team USA held on to win, 70-68. Both teams were cold in the 4th quarter, but it was fun to watch. I'm definitely not used to watching international basketball (or NBA basketball for that matter :p), but it was a good taste of that.
  18. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    49 points scored in the second half. Total, between the two teams. The US made three field goals in the fourth quarter. Ouch. Doesn't sound like a recipe for great basketball.

Still, it was a win.
  19. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Brazil's coach (formerly Argentina's coach), Magnano, has two wins of the seven wins against Team USA since the NBA players started competing in international events. Not going to complain too much about a win against him.
  20. DarthIntegral September Tiemaster

Game Winner
    star 7
    Kevin Love is perfect for the International Game. PERFECT. He had a monster game to help out Durant.
  21. DarthIntegral September Tiemaster

Game Winner
    star 7
    Spain goes down again, this time to Lithuania. Puts them at 1-2, and actually possibly in danger of not advancing from group play. Shocking.
  22. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    So much for that conspiracy theory that Spain didn't want to play the US until the championship round and they intentionally lost to France. :p
  23. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    I usually have a hard time buying conspiracy theories involving a team intentionally losing :p

Very surprising for Spain to have lost twice already, though... what's the scenario for them (what do they need to advance/get eliminated)?
  24. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Yeah, those conspiracy theories usually aren't believable, but they usually can get a good laugh.
  25. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.