main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Awards 2010 Saga Fanfic Awards Thread - Ceremony Sunday at 12 pm board time!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by SagaFanficAwards, Jul 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue Ice Cream

Blue Ice Cream Chosen One star 6

Aug 9, 2006
    Where do we find excerpts?

2. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    They haven't been posted yet. Usually they're posted at the start of voting period. I guess maybe all the Saga volunteers got busy or something. :p

3. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    it's a new style of voting - excerpt free [face_laugh].

4. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    [face_laugh] I think that's been talked about in post-Awards discussion threads in previous years, actually. [face_thinking]

Me, I love reading excerpts since it usually leads me to some very good fics I didn't know about. :D And then, naturally, I lurk on said stories and always forget to comment. 8-}

5. Exeter

Exeter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    It'll be like gambling with somebody else's money [face_dancing]

6. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    While i often know what to vote for in advance (since I've often nominated many), I find the excerpts Do lead me to as-yet unread ones that might steal my vote (since I can't read every story on the boards).

It's a shame the voting will be largely over before excerpts are posted, since it's, ah, likely, that not all fics will have had the same chance at exposure and the votes may be a bit more skewed to "popularity" ths time.

Or not.

[face_talk_hand]

Who am I say?

[face_peace]

7. Estora

Estora Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2009
    I do actually agree with you...this is my first time voting / being nommed, and while I'm not too concerned about winning anything (since I was nominated, OMG!!!! THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO NOMMED ME!) a little exposure would be nice. I don't have too many readers here, but enough on FFNet to keep me one happy little girl. The popular fics will have a far better chance at winning anything in these awards, methinks, not that I'm bitter or anything like that. Please don't think that! Whichever fic wins truly deserves to win. I've had a peek at most/all of them and they're all fantastic. :D

You, my dear, are the person who is easily one of the most popular and best writers on these forums. XD That's why you're to say! :D :D :D

8. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    Have to agree with that point. It levels the playing field more, so to speak.

9. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    I, for one, am angered that the excerpt thread isn't up. Not that I care if I win (it's an honor to just be nommed), but I went to the trouble of sending in an excerpt, and those who I sent them to didn't bother to do their jobs. I'm actually more upset as a reader/voter, because I don't think I should have to open another browser window to read the whole of all those stories (especially those long ones) that are nommed when the other writers have also sent in their excerpts. I understand if someone couldn't do their job if RL cut in, but there should be someone to back them up!

There should be an extension on the voting period because of this.

10. Takianna

Takianna Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    I agree. The excerpts should be up. I followed the deadline so they should be able to follow their deadline.

I call for the voting to be extended.

11. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    This seems equitable. The ceremony isn't till the 22nd.

12. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    I wonder how many HAVE already voted without reading the excerpts - should those votes be asked to be resubmitted after excerpts are up?

Shrugs.

I certainly have no idea what's the best way to handle it.

No excerpts? Excerpts for late voters only? Glad it's not my problem.

Certainly I'd be open to possibly changing some of my votes if we earlier voters were asked to send in a replacement vote.

13. iceaffinity

iceaffinity Jedi Knight star 1

May 23, 2010
    I have to agree with much of what others have said as well, particularly about the extension...I admit, I'm a little disappointed the excerpts aren't up. Since I'm still relatively new to the boards and haven't read everything (especially not the long epics!) I was planning on relying on the excerpts to point me in the right directions...and to just simply find some new fics I might be interested in reading. O:)

That said, I hope whatever is causing the delay isn't too serious. @};-

14. darksideyesplease

darksideyesplease Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2005
    From what I can tell guys, the Excerpts were completed last night and the Saga volunteers are just waiting for a Mod to move the thread over into the resource forum.

I have contacted a mod just in case to make sure it gets put up.

I know this isn't much consolation for those who have been waiting for them to be posted but they should be up as soon as the thread is moved to the appropriate forum.

I have no more information I can divulge or really know because I'm not on the Saga staff.

15. iceaffinity

May 23, 2010
    Thanks for looking into it, darksideyesplease! It's good to know. :)

16. Estora

Estora Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2009
    Has there any word of voting extensions? I think, like others here, that it's only fair. I haven't cast my votes yet as I'd much prefer to do so with the excerpts up, but if there's no extension and the excerpts aren't up in twelve hours, I'll put in my votes....I'm going to be ridiculously busy over these next three days and I won't have the time I want to actually read the excerpts, when/if they come up, so my votes will obviously go to the stories I'm familiar with, which as has also been noted, isn't exactly fair to the fics that haven't received the popularity as others.

Thanks for looking into the situation, darksideyesplease. I hope the thread is moved soon.

17. KotORBF2Female_Revan

KotORBF2Female_Revan Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 21, 2009
    As for an extension for the voting period, I have asked the Overseer, and I'm still waiting for word back.

18. Blue Ice Cream

Blue Ice Cream Chosen One star 6

Aug 9, 2006
    An extension for the voting period is the fairest solution.

It would be a shame if everyone sent their excerpts correctly for nothing.

Plus, selecting an excerpt can prove to be a difficult process for some authors.

19. KotORBF2Female_Revan

Feb 21, 2009
    The overseer has granted permission for an extension, and the voting period will end on the 20th.

20. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    I honestly don't want to stir up a can of worms, but I'm a curious person so I'll ask now before voting's over: would it be possible to post what percentage of voters voted before and what percentage after the excerpts are posted?

Related to that tangentially, I've always been curious just approximately how many folks actually vote - I know it has to be down from several years ago, but is there any rough way of posting that?

Something like: 30 voted on average in Saga? Or 100, or whatever. Whatever the number (and no, I do NOT mean how many voted for fic 1 and how many for fic 2).

Goes back to hiding under a rock - these 90+ temps are getting to me. It's hot here in the Pacific NW (in winter, that's "north wet" as we sometimes say :D ).

21. iceaffinity

May 23, 2010
    Ah, quick, newbie question again - I was reading the rules for voting, and saw that we have to register to vote, before submitting votes...but there are no instructions on how...how do I register? (I'm not a sock, really!) :D

Thank you!
    ~iceaffinity

22. darksideyesplease

Feb 12, 2005
    Voter_Registration

PM that and just say you would like to register to vote.

Sometimes it takes a few days for someone to check it if you see it unopened for a while.

23. Koopa

Koopa Jedi Youngling

Jul 27, 2004
    I just found out my story was nominated and I didn't submit an excerpt. Does that mean my story was out of the voting process all together?

I wrote Padme and Palpatine: The Final Confrontation.

I was on vacation and am VERY sad I missed that private message. Devastated actually. :_|

24. darksideyesplease

Feb 12, 2005
    Excerpts are completely optional. People can still vote for your story if you didn't send one in.

25. KotORBF2Female_Revan

Feb 21, 2009
    Send in your votes, everyone! The voting period ends tonight at 11:59 PM board time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.