main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

2010: The Year We Make Contact

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by sarlaccpit_48, Jun 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sarlaccpit_48

sarlaccpit_48 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 23, 2005
    Do you think it was pointless or a worthy sequel to masterpiece known as 2001: A Space Odyssey?

I think it was okay, but it lacked the feel of Stanley Kubrick's original and they waited 16 years to long to make it. Other than that I felt that it closed the gaps that were left by the first.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It's far more watchable than the original film, and, unlike 2001, you don't need to read the book to actually understand what happens in it.

As well crafted as certaina spects of 2001 were, it was really a rather dull film- 2010 isn't anything special, but it's enjoyable.

3. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    It's a pretty good movie - completely different feel to 2001 - probably because there are more than 2 characters for most of the movie.

Loved relationship between HAL and Chandra in 2010 and finally finding out why HAL lost the plot in 2001. "Will I dream?". Great stuff.

The movie direction shouldn't be compared to 2001 - they are entirely different; one is ground breaking, the other almost comes across like an action movie / space disaster.

4. JediPrettyBoy

JediPrettyBoy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2005
    I've always liked Roy Scheider and John Lithgow as actors. I actually liked 2010 better. Isn't there a third book as well.

5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    There are four books in the series.

I saw 2010 before I ever saw 2001. I like 2010 alot though I kinda wish they would have verbally said something about using velcro shoes while aboard Discovery. They are using them but do not mention it so it appears they skip the realism of weightlessness. When HAL gave the message from Bowman to Floyd to "Look behind you", A shiver went up my spine.
    The ending is incredible, one of the best film endings ever showing what physics taken to its ultimate limits can do, and I recall this being my first real wonder about a far advanced civilization having contact with a less advanced one.
    The symbolism is not as strong as 2001, but then I'm not sure how it could be.
    The special effects are great in this, and I get a real feeling of depth from the space shots above Jupiter. And no I don't mind that 2001 left out sound in space while 2010 went ahead with sound in space effects. I thought all the acting was well done.
    The one thing that irked me after finally seeing 2001 was that HAL was given more of a supporting role. I would rather have had just a shave more HAL time for 2010.

[image=http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0345303067.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg]

I'm wondering if the filmakers chickened out by not mentioning that the new star was called Lucifer.

6. sarlaccpit_48

Jun 23, 2005
    I must admit that 2001 moved really slow and you had to watch it twice in order to understand what was going on.

And not to be to much of a girly-man, but but when Dr. Chandra and HAL-9000 parted ways, I started to cry because there is nothing more moving than a relationship between man and machine.

Oh Hal, you will be missed. It just isn't the same where you and David Bowman morph together and become HALMAN in 3001: The Final Odyssey

HAL Deserves a Academy Award! He is just such a perfect actor. It's like he's a machine

My god I have problems, I need to get a girlfriend!

7. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    I agree with you.

8. redsabreanakin

redsabreanakin Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    As noted above, they are two very different movies. Anyone familiar with the book? The Russian-American thing was that in the book?? seemed kind of out of place..but it was ok...(and I guess now..kinda dated)

It was really the last great film that Peter Hyams did. I think it is a very enjoyable film.
    The ending is indeed superb...with both suns shining in the sky. That's good stuff.

9. sarlaccpit_48

Jun 23, 2005

The part that HAL deserves and Academy Award or that I need a girlfriend. HA HA!
    No really I'm serious!

But with the last coment left, I am somewhat familiar with the books and by that I mean, I read the wikipedia articles on them.

10. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    It's been a while since I last watched this movie, but I do remember enjoying it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.