main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

2011 - Another Year for British Politics

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Darth_Asabrush, Dec 29, 2004.

1. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Thing is, even if they end up with a tiny majority, that still leaves the Conservatives lacking a mandate to implement the kind of drastic cuts that are going to be needed in the coming year or so. So even with a small Tory majority I can still see a second election taking place this autumn or at the latest next spring.

The minimum I would say gives Cameron a decent mandate is a 20 seat majority on a 38% vote share. Anything less than that and I just can't see how he can implement the cuts and tax rise's that will be needed, unless some sort of unity government is formed, which seems highly unlikely.

2. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Article in The Times this morning suggesting that the Tories could be about to gain the Labour heartland Sunderland Central (formerly Sunderland South) on a 12% swing. This was the seat I remember that first declared in 1997 and showed the exit poll prediction of a 180 seat Labour majority was going to be right - Would be incredible if it now went Conservative. :eek:

At the same time though the Tories are said to be struggling in parts of London and the south coast, where you would think they would be doing well? What a weird, weird election.

3. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Uncertain times ahead, reflected by uncertainty in the public opinion of who to vote for.

4. DarthKarde

DarthKarde Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    Actually Sunderland Central is mostly based on the old Sunderland North constituency which a)was never quite as safe Sunderland South and b) has now had major boundary changes. The best two Labour wards in the seat have been lost in favour of more marginal wards. If you wanted to draw a Sunderland seat in a sensible fashion that the Tories could win this seat is exactly how you would draw it.

That being said it would be a major surprise for it to fall. It would probably have gone Tory in 1983 but been lost in 1987.

5. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    The problem I have with YouGov is that it's being backed by Murdoch, which is reason enough to hate anything.

6. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Thanks for setting me right Karde. :D

7. DarthKarde

Jun 28, 2002
    YouGov isn't being backed by Murdoch. His papers are simply paying them to do polls and they have produced some of Labours most favourable polls.

8. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    The Tories had best take care that they don't get a minority government going and then take the fall for whatever drastic changes are put into place. That would be as wrong as Democrats getting stuck with W's bill.

9. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    So paying someone to do something isn't backing them?

10. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Sadly, I think thats exactly whats going to happen. The worst of all worlds for the Tories. Stuck with Labours mess, but without the mandate to do anything about it. :(

To be fair, the Conservatives have brought a lot of it on themselves. Their campaign has been lamentable. And Cameron probably should have had someone more "authentic" than George Osborne as his shadow chancellor.

11. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    The Tories have struggled to break free of the looming shadow of Thatcher, however hard they try.
    Frankly I think whatever goes wrong for them is a good thing, but if they are to run the country they should at least have enough of a majority to make decisions. Then it'll certainly be easy to blame them when they fail :p

12. DarthKarde

Jun 28, 2002
    My final prediction is a Tory majority of 8-16.

13. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    [image=http://logan-1.mirror.waffleimages.com/files/26/26bf93b19603d20aa88924670134e0ca696b209e.jpg]

lol

14. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    My prediction: Conservatives 10-20 seats short. Labour sub 200 seats. Lib-Dems 100+ seats.

And we're back doing it all over again in October. ;)

15. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    First time I can remember a party leader being taken to hospital on election day;

Farage injured in light air crash

Although I wouldn't wish this on anybody, I must say it seems like a kind of stupid, gimicky thing to be doing on polling day?

16. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    Shame it didn't happen to Nick Griffin... :p

17. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    I shouldn't laugh, but I will anyways.

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

18. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Senior Conservatives apparently briefing journalists that they think they've done enough to secure a small majority.

19. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    I'm hoping they'll have to eat their words later...

20. shanerjedi

shanerjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2010
    Farage will probably blame the crash on Von Rompuy.

21. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Ditto.

Voted.

Now as soon as a Hung Parliament follows I shall be deliriously happy.

22. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    Exit poll suggests Tories are 19 seats short of a majority to govern.

Never trust exit polls myself, but a Hung parliament might be a good bet.

23. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    So what to make of this election result?

Call the IMF! [face_laugh]

24. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I'd just like to say that watching this unfold, I'm thoroughly envious on the multiple-party factors in this.

25. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Well, the Lib-Dems have had an Epic Fail. Not only did they not gain more seats, they lost a bunch also. All of Clegg's momentum counts for nothing since the party have come out worse then the previous election.

Cameron won't be happy with the result, although I'm sure he has a plan for it as this is the outcome that has been predicted for some time.

The main thing now will be whether or not Cameron goes it alone or tries to get a Coalition. I'm not sure either will work out so well for him.