main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena 2011 Rugby World Cup

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Darth McClain, Sep 2, 2011.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    NZ's been stomping all over Tonga during the first half. I missed the opening ceremony because I was cleaning but I'm not too upset. Made it for the start of the match!
    England play Argentina tomorrow at 9:30 am UK time. It will be on ITV1. First USA match is Sunday against Ireland. It starts at 7am UK time so I'll probably miss part of it but it will be on ITV1.

2. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Really, no surprise that it was a rout.

What are the odds that ESPN even recognizes that the World Cup is going on? :p

3. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    I'm definitely gonna watch on NBC. I'm new to rugby, but I have seen excerpts and it looks awesome.

4. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    The US did a pretty good job today against the Irish. Although the score didn't reflect it, they played some good defense and kept it close most of the game. WAsn't expecting much gong in, so I was surprised that they at least kept this one competitive.

5. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I almost wish that I had watched that instead of the Steelers game today... :p

Really wish that the matches were more accessible, but it's better than nothing, I guess. Here's the highlights from USA-Ireland.

6. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    The 'big' teams have looked pretty scrappy so far, though none of them have played completely terrible opposition. Australia did the opposite of New Zealand, performed much better in the second half. Boks extremely lucky to escape with a win and England looked pretty dull.

Should be a good WC, hoping for some upsets to come through.

7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Break's over - matches resume tomorrow morning UK time:

Samoa v Namibia (ITV1 - 3:30 am)
    Tonga v Canada (ITV4 - 6am)
    Scotland v Georgia (ITV1 - 8:30 am)

Next USA match is Thursday against Russia with an 8:30 am start time on ITV4. (I might watch this if I get up early enough).

8. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Here in the US, the USA-Russia game will be broadcast on the Universal Sports channel. Not sure what time it begins, though.

The first round was pretty predictable in terms of the winning and losing teams. However, the Saxons were definitely clamped down upon by Argentina, and South Africa looked sluggish.

9. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Well, if the game is live and you're on the east coast, you're talking 3:30 am. (London is 5 hours ahead of NYC).

10. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    I don't think that the games are broadcast live. I think it's a tape-delay.

11. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    If I remember the schedule correctly, the stuff on Universal Sports is typically live.

12. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Considering that I'm in Board Time, if the games are at night in NZ, then they're in the early hours of the morning here. Now, afternoon games might be live . . . I'm not sure.

13. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Trying to figure out how NZ time relates to US time makes my head hurt. :p

I just know that a lot of the time, they're on at something like 3 am, EST, which would be midnight, PST, I think.

14. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Russia vs USA just ended - not a bad match!

Hiding the score for those who might be watching later on a replay: USA 13 Russia 6.

15. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Just saw the result on Twitter!

16. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Goal accomplished! It'd be great if they'd be able to do some damage against Italy, too.

17. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    The match is being broadcasted at 5 P.M. tonight here in board time, so it's definitely being delayed for prime time.

18. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    It's worth catching if you can.

Next USA match isn't til Sep 23 and that will be against Australia.

Next England match is Sep 18 against Georgia.

19. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    That'd be pretty cool to watch it. I think that the US will get smoked by Australia, though. :p

20. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Well, we've had the first laugher. New Zealand stomped all over Japan this morning. I quit watching when it was around 59-7 as I had some stuff to do. Final score was 83-7.

21. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    [face_flag] The Eagles won!

However, I'm not convinced that they can do any damage against much better teams. They stalled several times deep in Russian territory, and turned the ball over way too often. Also, many of the clearing kicks were horrible, maybe because of the wind in the second half in their face. With so much time spent in Russia's defensive zone, the Americans just couldn't produce points. It easily could have been 33-3 if they had been able to keep the ball moving. But, oh well; at least they held the Russians to only two penalty goals, so there are definitely improvements being made on that side of the ball.

22. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I believe that it's the Eagle's first ever World Cup win,which is huge for the program. Italy are struggling right now, from what I understand, so the US might be able to take advantage of that, but I'm not so sure. :p

23. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Third ever, actually. :-B

But, yes, it was the game they were focusing on, and now it's over. They now need to bring momentum into their next game.

24. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Ah, must have misread my Twitter feed then. Like you said, though, they won the match they should have. And now, it's time to hope for the best the rest of the way through. :p

25. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Did I see correctly on Twitter that Australia got upset?