main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

2011 St. Patrick's Day Parade

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by Obey Wann, Jan 10, 2011.

1. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    PP $ sent to ZOO to cover the fees.

2. cyodarun

cyodarun Retired RMFF CR star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    Most excellent. Thanks SC and DH.

And so we are committed. =D=

3. jedijaysin

jedijaysin Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 15, 2011
    I hope this isn't a stupid question but, what does the float from last year look like?

4. Mistress

Mistress Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 28, 2002
    Like a gigantic Hoth playset complete with a gun turret you can climb up in!

5. jthornto

jthornto Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2005
    Once the main site (www.rmff.net) is back up, you can find pics from the previous year's parade under "Gallery" and then "Parades" and then "2010 St. Patty's Day Parade."

6. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

OMG, this joke NEVER gets old! [face_mischief]

[face_devil]

7. Lego-Stormtrooper-1

Lego-Stormtrooper-1 Former RMFF CR star 3

Apr 27, 2009
  8. QueenHighMistress

QueenHighMistress Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    It's actually up right now. Go take a peek! (And ignore this weird rickroll business....)

9. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Now, if only that no good "webmaster" would fix the gallery.... :rolleyes:

(You know what the best part of this Rock Roll banner is? The guy in the "post reply" image. :p)

10. Mistress

Oct 28, 2002
    Truly genius you are, Ben Grimby. I posted just to see it. Huzzah. =D=

11. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    Oh, that was a guy??? Now I see the manly features, but didn't at first. Though s/he belonged on the 'Baby got Back' banner :p

12. Jomama

Jomama Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 3, 2009
    Is that guy break dancing while an Egyptian shadow chases him around?

13. jthornto

jthornto Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2005
    Get down wit yo funky self!

[image=http://www1.theforce.net/jc/images/rickroll/rickroll-reply.png]

14. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    It may take awhile before we get our # for our entry, but as soon as we see a warm non snowing weekend coming we should talk about painting and dressing up the float.

Is someone working on the Wampa? Do we want float fringe?

15. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    I'm supposed to be working on the Wampa. Last weekend I cleaned the garage. I should be able to start the framework of it this weekend.

16. Mistress

Oct 28, 2002
    I am working on getting my friend to print a new banner. He may want to put the name of his shop somewhere on it, but if he does it for free (which he said he would) I think thats okay, right?

17. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Dan (Bon Do with the RL/501st) and I have started working on plans for the wampa. And here is a sample of how we can make the claws and teeth:

[image=http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs245.snc6/179300_1552078085391_1338317111_31131604_6913718_n.jpg]

18. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    I'm also looking at This Wampa Build. While I'm not ready to make it fully moveable with stilts --yet --I'm really liking the fact that it can be made interactive.

If anyone gets any coupons for Joanne's and Michael's, we could sure use them.

Here is the photo album of his build.

19. QueenHighMistress

QueenHighMistress Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    You can usually print the Michaels one if you go to their web site and look at the weekly ad. If there's a coupon, you can click on it and print the popup -- usually good for a week, and one per customer per day. Also, "liking" them on FB gets you coupons sometimes.

20. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    I'll try that --many thanks!

21. darth_hair

darth_hair Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2001
    DO IT!!!

I have some PVC if you need

22. ZOOfo-Dyas

ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I'll check my emails, too.

23. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Jeff, I'll take you up on that. I'm going to get together with Dan this weekend, and we'll try to make some progress. At this point, I doubt we'll be able to get it done for the parade, but I'm hoping for Starfest. Please keep an eye out for sales on fabric fur and coupons at all the regular places. I'll contact the Wampa guy and see if he has an estimate as to how much fabric was used.

Also, the costs on this might be higher than I was thinking initially --especially if we try to make it look GOOD. What would you think about opening this up to the 501st/RL and asking for donations towards making it a multi-group project? We would then make it a mass-build and ownership thing, vs. being any single-person's "costume.

The more I look at the Wampa blog, the more I know that we can make it happen --I'd rather make a good looking, mobile and interactive Wampa, vs. a static display.

Thoughts?

24. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    Do you have any kind of budget in mind? what was the original amount you were thinking it would cost?

Need to see what the group is willing to put out, we have quite a few things coming up.

25. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    I'm putting together a preliminary budget now. I have contacted Wampaguy to see if he kept track of the materials, and for an estimate of the amount of cloth, foam and other materials he used. I have also put together a PDF file detailing his build. If anyone wants a copy, PM me your email address and I'll send it out.

I also confirmed that Michaels does NOT carry the foam I need, so all I need are Joanne's coupons. Michaels does not sem to carry much of anything this project needs --except for maybe hard foam for the tusks if we choose to go that route.

Here is a preliminary list of things it will need:

- 3/4" PVC
    - multiple T and 4-point 3/4" PVC connectors
    - 3/4" ENT (Electrical Nonmetalic Tubing) (I'm guessing 20-30+ feet) I'll try hard to nail down the length and cost per foot
    - Larger diameter PVC for a frame and stand while building it
    - mass quantities of 1/2 up to 4" green foam
    - mass quantities of fur cloth
    - detail work for the claws and face

I'm going to drop off some printouts to Bon Do and DH tonight, and see what they think. Personally, I'm really excited about the idea of making this a wearable costume vs. a static display. It would make for an awesome addition to the float as well as Starfest. Even if we don't get it done for this St. Pat's, there are plenty of parade possibilities throughout the year... and it would make a great costume for someone that doesn't have their own.

[image=http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4081/4778726165_0657a87daf_b.jpg]

Check out more photos here.

Because this could get sorta pricey... would you be willing to open up the build (or investment) to folks from the 501st / RL? If we spread the costs, it might mean that we could get it done much sooner, and without breaking any single bank accounts. If we had all the materials from the start, it could probably get done fairly quickly. If we piecemeal it as funds allow, it'll take some time. If we do open it up, I would propose that all donations go to the RMFF paypal account with a note for the wampa build. That way all donations are set aside, and it doesn't go to any single person's account (i.e. transparent for all.)

If you're Ok with opening it up to other groups, then I'll put threads up at the MG and RL, and post updates in all 3 locations.