main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chatt, TN 2013-05-03 - Free Comic Book Day / Amazing Spider-Man 2

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Vesper2112, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Vesper2112

Vesper2112 FF President & CR, Chattanooga, TN star 4

Nov 14, 2003
    BUSY day for us that day... We normally have 3 comic book stores that we try to cover (Dicehead in Cleveland, TN, EPIKOS Comic in Ooltewah, TN, and Comic Hound in East Ridge, TN). THIS Year, we were hit up by 2 different places that really want us there. So in an effort to try some different avenues, we're going to be at the Chattanooga Library and then McKay's Used books before heading over to Carmike East Ridge for the Spider-Man costuming event. With that said, some people will still try to do the regular comic stores we've always done.

First up is the Chattanooga Library. Here's a list of planned events there:
    11:30-12:30 - Asami Nakano, Japanese Outreach Coordinator for UTC is teaching Japanese Calligraphy to Tweens/Teens
    12:30 - 2:30 - Chattooine! WOOT! WOOT!
    Free the Hero challenge (frozen ninjas must be rescued...)
    Create a Cape (Upcycle an adult sized t-shirt you bring into a cape!)
    Make a Mask (embellish precut masks with markers, sticker and yarn)
    CPL Science Lair (Volunteer acts as a mad scientist and performs an exothermic reaction for the crowd, then signs kids up for our Summer @ the Library Game.)
    Comic Cover Photo Booth (pose behind a giant comic book cover to appear you are in a comic!)
    Costume Contest (which they want us to be judges)
    2:30 - 3:30 Intro to Drawing Comics Class with Jeff Lamm
    3:30-4:30 - Intro to Drawing Manga Class with Aimee Golden!
    There will be places for folks to change, water and they'll have the popcorn machine cranking out salty delicious snacks.

At 2:30pm, we'll leave the library and head over to McKay's Used books. Still waiting to hear back what they have planned, but apparently they moved it all back to coincide with our appearance there. I believe anyone that costumes up will get store credit of some kind. Last year, I stopped by on the way home from Dicehead and they gave away $5 store credit vouchers. They'll also probably have a costume contest of some kind.

Once we're done there (I'd assume we'll try and do 2 hours there), we'll regroup back at the Carmike East Ridge theater to get ready for the Amazing Spider-Man 2 event. Any MARVEL costumes are cool for this one. We normally try to be ready by 7pm but with all that's going on, some people may get there a little later. Anyway, if anyone is interested in doing any of this stuff, feel free to PM me and I'll get you added to the roster.

2. Vesper2112

Nov 14, 2003
    What a weekend!! It was so exhausting, it took THIS long to do the update on how it went! LOL

Amazing Spider-Man 2... Great turnout for the Thursday night premier. at least it was a great turnout for our group. Thursday night premiers hasn't really caught on yet, it seems. I miss the days of midnight premiers. For that matter, I miss the days of standing in line outside the theater waiting to get in. There was a collective energy that is lacking because of the way it's done now. But, we work with what we've got.
    [​IMG]

All the pics from this first night can be found here: http://s1198.photobucket.com/user/Chattooine/library/2014-05-01 - Amazing Spider-Man 2?sort=3&page=1

We had Friday off (thankfully), but had a FULL day on Saturday kicking off with all the Free Comic Book Day stuff. Some of us hit Comic Hound in East Ridge before heading off to the Chattanooga Library.

[​IMG]

They made the backdrop above. The kids loved us and all the activities going on there. The library really did go all out to make this an all day event that we were happy to be a small part of. All the pics can be seen here: http://s1198.photobucket.com/user/Chattooine/library/2014-05-04 - FCBD?sort=3&page=1

After spending a few hours at the library, we were off to our next stop: McKay's Used Books and Cd's. They had some events planned as well and even bumped back the time on some of them to coincide with our appearance. I don't think they realized how many people we were bringing, so we had to split our group up some (some inside and some out).

[​IMG]

Still waiting to get the bulk of those pictures, but what we do have so far can be found here: http://s1198.photobucket.com/user/C...- FCBD/2014-05-04 - FCBD McKays?sort=3&page=1

And THEN we all took off to get ready for the 2nd night of Amazing Spider-Man 2.

[​IMG]

All the pics: http://s1198.photobucket.com/user/Chattooine/library/2014-05-04 - Amazing Spider-Man 2?sort=3&page=1

3. loki41872

loki41872 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    Excellent. Now get over to jackson on july 12 for super hero night with the Jackson Generals

4. Vesper2112

Nov 14, 2003
    A few more photos has popped up from member Duane Vorrasi. All new pics has been added to the link up top. Or visit the website (www.chattooine.com) for EVERYTHING!

[​IMG]