main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lou, KY 2013 BOOK CLUB READS AND DATES

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Lord_Zannah, Jan 5, 2013.

1. jedimika

jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep star 4

Apr 2, 2008
    Whoa...

Hey Jammies, hate to tell you but I think someone hacked your account and they're typing all kinds of un-Jammies things.

See you tonight for what's sure to be a rousing discussion, I'll try to be a little early.

2. Yoda_Jammies

Yoda_Jammies Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    Oh, like--- being early? That is Jammies for "on-time"

But.......... I know right? Hopefully you and 11 can snap me out of it.

3. Darth Lupine

Darth Lupine Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 14, 2013
    Damn. Now I ain't sure I want to read this..... I don't care what they do in the movies, as long as somewhere in there they bring in Grand Admiral Thrawn.

4. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
  5. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Wow. I only got 2/3rds of those right. I can't belive I did not know Lando's homeworld! I would have sworn it was Corellia.
    \turning in my fan card

DarthLupine: Dude, don't let me scare you away. No way. Go and enjoy!

6. Darth Lupine

Darth Lupine Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 14, 2013
    Holy crap is that quiz hard. Missed about half...

7. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
  8. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Wow, great find Boss.
    Gotta admit though, this isn't helping my love/hate relationship with Denning. Put me in the camp that thinks Vergere as a sith is a waste of an interesting charictor (Stover created an entity that didn't fit good or bad / jedi or sith-- and then we read that she was a sith trained by palps all aong: weak). But, like Denning wrote-- I do know Jung and can see where both authors are coming from.

I do agree that Stover's Traitor needs to be added to Western Canon and tough in schools. It is THAT good.

I also agree that Denning did a great service to the universe when he wrote Fett as something more than a gun for hire. His Star by Star and Tattoine Ghost and two of my top favorite SW books.

And, I liked "most" of the metephysical aspects of the conclution of Crusible: and it is interesting to read the process behind the writer/editors.

So.........

What else was discussed at Book Club that I missed?

I will admitt 11 has opened my eyes, and boadened my horizens, looking at the post NJO universe from "a differnet point of view." Still, I am disapointed by the past 10 years of post ROTJ EU, I think it should have been given a higher priority and I think Mika and Ms. Mika are correct that it was more a financial reason than an artistic one. In thinking about it, durring the NJO we got a book every 3 months (either clone wars or NJO). Before that we got one or two a year. Now, we get one or two every month! Maybe oversaturation is the issue, or quality control? Regardless: the post ROTJ EU is extreamly imporrtant to me-- and what I really am liminting is not what has been written, but what COULD have been written. And now, it seems, what won't.

Still. There is hope. Just have to wait and see. Besides, these books exist on my shelf-- and I re-read them often. No new movie can take them away.
    So, we have hope and we have each other. I do feel blessed to be surrounded by friends who feel passionate about the same things I do.

9. Lord_Zannah

Lord_Zannah Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    Sorry we didn't make it .. again. We're still around.... Life is kicking our back sides right now and but good. [face_dunno]

Not in a tragic way but in the responsibilities come first way. That deck of ours that over looks the ravine is being a pain the deck side. :mad:

10. mindtwister_138

mindtwister_138 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 19, 2002
    Sorry I didn't make it either. I took Brandy to the dentists on the weekend and they could not remove the whole tooth, so Monday I had to take her to an oral surgeon to finish the job, and I have been trying to take care of her until she starts feeling better.

11. Lord_Zannah

Sep 4, 2012
    Oh my! I hope she feels better soon. I know how much a tooth problem can hurt.. affects the whole body. OUCH!

12. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
  13. mindtwister_138

mindtwister_138 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 19, 2002
    WARU!!!!!

Brandy is much better now :) She had a couple of hard days there, but I helped her through it.

14. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Sigh...waru...

Glad you and Brandy are on the mend :)

15. Commander APPO

Commander APPO Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 19, 2012
    GWS so both of you can come out and play..

16. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Recent acquisitions...
    -I just finished reading "Kenobi" by John Jackson Miller and I really liked it. Between, Kenobi, Lost Tribe of the Sith, Knight Errant and KOTOR he's becoming one of my favorite Star Wars authors.
    -Picked up The Star Wars #1 at the comic shop this week. Very interesting seeing familiar characters turned around. The art is good. I'm looking forward to the next issue.
    -Something different "I am George Lucas". A biography on George by Scholastic aimed at a younger reader. A nice simple overview of his career for us older readers. If there's a young Star wars fan in your life this is for them.
    http://www.amazon.com/I-Am-7-George-Lucas/dp/0545533791/ref=tmm_pap_title_0

Well, I've put it off as long as I can...time to start reading Waru.

17. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    ALL HAIL WARU!

18. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Interesting Interview:
    http://suvudu.com/2013/09/a-quick-chat-with-star-wars-editor-shelly-shapiro.html Wonder what she means by "new continuity?"

I've also heard her on The Forcecast saying while she doesn't know the story of the new movies,she is really hoping that they keep the Family around (Jania, Ben, Allana, etc) as she has grown so close to them.

I hope this all works out for the best.

19. Lord_Zannah

Sep 4, 2012
    Bow to the WARU. ^:)^[face_clown]

20. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Book club less than a week away. Lots to discuss. In addition to my rant on Crystal Star there'll be some Star Wars Reads Day planning and I have some swag to show everyone.

BOO to WARU!

21. VoxDeamonicus

VoxDeamonicus Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2010
    when is book club?

22. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    This Monday 7PM

23. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    All hail Waru!

Yup, this Monday the 7th. I will also use that time to ask for help in planning our part for Star Wars Reads Day-- and show off the swag I got from Lucasbooks.
    But, before that: we will discuss the most awesome book ever written Star Wars: The Crystal Star. If anyone needs to borrow my copy, just PM me. Honestly, it is not a long read.

MTFBWY
    Jammies

24. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Book club tonight! Hope to see everyone there...lots to do, lots to discuss.

Jammies, I'll try and remember to bring my XWing minis box so you can borrow whatever wave 2 cards you need ( I still haven't gotten into my wave 3 stuff yet) but you'll need to know what you want/need since it's all mixed together and I don't have time to sort it.

25. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    All HAIL WARU ! ^:)^