main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lou, KY 2013 BOOK CLUB READS AND DATES

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Lord_Zannah, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Lord_Zannah

Lord_Zannah Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    I have one comment about Chrystal Star and I'll reserve it for tonight. Well... maybe two comments, ... on second thought, maybe three or four.

Jammies!! [face_laugh]

2. jedimika

jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep star 4

Apr 2, 2008
    Boo to WARU!!! Crappy book, great meeting. As bad is the book was it was worth it to see Jammies in costume and the Return of the MindTwister!! But oh how this book got my nerd rage going! Jammies as usual gave us some historical perspective. But really? The Empire creating planets (and suns) capable of hyperspace travel?! And giving them out as treats/job bonuses?! Imperial landscapers who put jungles and rock cliffs on a space station? A space station that is hyperspace capable but it's people choose to live next to a radiation spewing black hole?! Sigh.

3. Yoda_Jammies

Yoda_Jammies Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    Yes, a great meeting. Yes, a not so great book (hey, we warned you!). Yes, Waru is all powerful! ^:)^

But "The Crystal Star" isn't without merit. For starters, the cover has great art by Drew Struzan. It is the first book to flesh out the personalities of the solo twins: which will stick with them for the rest of the EU. It has a nice cover. Forshadows Ep 1 with the use of "MiLady and chrome star ships. It introduces two minor ongoing charictors: Lusa and Xaverri. Also, it has a nice cover.

I think Abel Pena said it best: "For fans of Star Wars literature, the mere mention of the name stirs up opinions as diverse as "it's the worst Star Wars novel ever written" on one end of the spectrum to the more flattering "actually, it only sucks really bad" on the other."

This is the Holiday Special of EU books. Mika pointed out some great plot oddities above, I would add to that the unimaginative alien species of "wyrwolvys," centaurs, dragons, a talking whirlwind, a talking water spout, and a bat. The Force is presented, just, poorly. What is an Anti-Force? How can the bad guy take away the kids' force powers? How can the kids use the force to manipulate atoms to create heat and light, a very rare and hard force power, but not know how to do the more basic force tricks? How can the kids use the force to create heat while at the same time not be able to use the force because of Hithar's force dampening abilities? The book is poorly written, and Luke Han and Leia are written so far away from their true selves it is as if this was meant to be a Star Trek book. Indeed, I believe it was-but cannot find any thing that confirms it.

So. Congrats Book Club! You made it!
    Hail Waru!

4. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Next up, The Black Fleet Crisis trilogy. If anyone needs to borrow my copy, shoot me a PM.
    This story is a really good one (HONEST!), and it's emphasis on war, the military, and new ships and star fighters makes it one of my all time favorites.
    Some of you may want to read all the books cover to cover. Awesome! If not, the books are broken up by the main plot, and the B and C plot following Lando and Luke. One can skip the Lando and Luke plots and still understand the story. The books take place toward the end of the New Republic Era, 17 years after the battle of Yavin but a few years before the Hand of Thrawn crisis. The Empire is a remnant of its former self, the few remaining warlords are help up in their fortress worlds, and the New Republic is on the brink of a lasting peace. Or are they??????????

5. Lord_Zannah

Sep 4, 2012
    I adored seeing you in that costume my Jammies, and I'm looking to Relin posting up the images he took. Or was that Vox? Scratching head.... anywho or is that Waru .... would the person who took the images please post them? I want to see my Jammies as a priest of Waru! Bow to Waru! :D

6. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    That would have been Vox. I will PM them to you to save him time, the site bandwith, and my reputation.

7. VoxDeamonicus

VoxDeamonicus Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2010
    Waru be with you!

8. Lord_Zannah

Sep 4, 2012
    LOL!! Well my Jammies... from the girl who's reputation for being a nut case precedes her, you are awesome and I thought you were fun! [face_dancing]

9. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    BUMP: Black Fleet Crisis trilogy will be our read for December. PM me if you want my copy of the books.

10. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    BUMP: Black Fleet Crisis.
    PM me if you want my copy.

Also, if you are short on time: you can totally just read the main story line and skip the Luke and Lando parts.

11. Darth Lupine

Darth Lupine Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 14, 2013
    Dusting off my copies now.

12. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Still Monday Dec 2nd yes? Looks like I should be able to make it.

13. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    yes. And, awesome to have you sir!

14. VoxDeamonicus

Mar 19, 2010
    why's the crisis got to be with the black fleet? why the black fleet got to be having problems? What, the white fleet too good to have issues? White fleet too special? racist star wars author.......

:D sorry. I never read any of these books. I just felt left out and wanted to contribute to the topic

Yoda_Jammies likes this.
  15. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Actually, racial intolerance is one of the books' themes. Good job Vox!

16. Lord_Zannah

Sep 4, 2012
    I'll be there and I have news. Good news. :D

17. VoxDeamonicus

Mar 19, 2010
    why must you continue to turn my jokes into something relevant?

18. Lord_Zannah

Sep 4, 2012
    Well, scratch me for being there.. I'm sicker than a horse. You all have a fun, I'll see you next get together.

19. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    I feel you. I'm just getting over it myself. I still plan to be there.

20. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Great discussion last night. Jammies came prepared as always.

Per Jammies February's book will probably be Maul:Lockdown by Joe Scheiber (I show the release date as Jan 28)

Congrats to Jammies for the good/special news! and great to see 11-11 again!

21. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
  22. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Woah, the 28th? That would give us at max, ten days to read a book.
    Would that work for everyone-- or should we do something else?

Jammies

/Save the Whaladons

23. 11-11

11-11 Jedi Master star 2

Jul 17, 2007
    Awesome! Thanks for the link Mika!! Great to see you too!

24. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Well I never start reading the book until the week before anyway so it's fresh in my mind for discussion so I would still be okay with Lockdown.