main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2013 Fitness Goals

Discussion in 'Community' started by Souderwan, Jan 12, 2013.

1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Actually, since we're on campus, I use the water fountains. I was pretty dehydrated yesterday though. I should be sure to drink lots of water beforehand.

2. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    Only 3-ish more miles to go for my old shoes to reach 300 miles. I got a new pair already and took them out for a test run the other day. New shoes, yay!

Souderwan likes this.
  3. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    Internets: Yeah, I'm glad I've got my camel pack. Makes all the difference in the world at mile 2!

Sonia, I haven't changed my shoes in over 2 yrs. :p

4. Darth Morella

Apr 5, 2004
    Um, well, you might not need to, depending on the type of shoes and other factors. But I have noticed some discomfort in my knee when my shoes get old and it goes away after I replace them. BTW it took almost two years for me to reach the 300 mile mark.

5. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    Oh, I got ya. And you're right, of course. I was merely laughing 'cause my shoes probably look like ass. But they feel great, though so I'm not messing with a good thing!

6. Darth Morella

Apr 5, 2004
    Nah, I chose my old shoes because they feel weightless and maybe they wore out faster than, say, Asics gel running shoes (I forgot the actual name of that particular model). Those things are comfortable but really heavy, and I assume they would last me a good 500 miles if I were to use them.

Souderwan likes this.
  7. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    Asics gel kayano are my shoe of choice at the moment. They are chunky monkeys but until I get down to about 15 stone they are best for me.

I really want to try some lighter shoes but don't want to damage myself any further. I got these guys after recovering from shin splints...

According to my physio, shoes should be good for 500 miles, and your gait changes as you gain or lose weight, so be aware! He does 10k in 36 mins, so I can't really argue much, the git...

Brooks do good shoes, I have heard good things about Saucony too but never tried them.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2

8. Darth Morella

Apr 5, 2004
    That is good to know. So far I've read about anywhere from 200 to 500 miles, depending on the density, your weight and gait and even what kind of terrain you run. I'll admit it's a very wide range so it's going to be trial and error till I find the ideal shoe.

9. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    We had our first workout today! 6X200's on soft grass. I felt good, and I was actually faster than a few of the runners.

10. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    It's too damn hot here right now, so I had to dig through my old clothes pile to find a pair of shorts. It's a huge ego boost to pull on a pair of capris that used to be skin-tight and now have to walk holding them up because if you let go, they'd fall completely over your hips and off.

11. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Just going to take it easy on the run today. It does seem to be cooling off thankfully.

12. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    Just finished off the month strong with my girlfriend and her brother by doing a 4 mile run around his (very!) hilly neighborhood in CT!

So monthly report time:

Totals: 67.7 Miles, 10,518 calories burned.

Year to date totals: 391.6 miles, 60,230 calories burned

500 miles, here I come!

Kiki-Gonn, Jedi_Matt and heels1785 like this.
  13. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I've been way off the wagon dealing with a family situation and a ton of travel.
    While in Miami my sister (a super gym rat) took me on the stair climbing routine her friends do.
    You basically go up and down 19 flights of stairs taking two steps at a time on the way up.

I did 57 flights before time mercifully ran out.

14. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    So who else here has embarrassing gym stories to make me feel better for my treadmill mishaps?

15. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Does the time I ended up getting whacked in the head by a wooden stick in martial arts class make you feel better?

Sith-Lord-Gunray likes this.
  16. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Yesterday we decided to go climb Mount Cowles. It's San Diego's tallest peak but apparently an easy climb. Only 1.5 mile to the top, and only about 45 minutes.

Easy if you take the front trail, that is. There was absolutely no parking near the front trail, so my roommates and I decided to take the back trail on the other side. Huge mistake. The back trail is incredibly steep, farther away, and includes climbing another mountain first. I felt like I was going to die and almost called it quits a few times. By the time we got to the top (or what we thought was the top) an hour later, pretty much all of our water was gone. The view was fantastic, but we called it quits because reaching the top of the other mountain would have been another 30-45 minutes.

[​IMG]

BUT according to my weigh in, this morning, it helped me lose 3.6 pounds this week.

s65horsey, Kiki-Gonn and Souderwan like this.
  17. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I came in to the thread to report that I finally joined the gym here at work. I'm very excited to be able to work out regularly again.

Anyway, Friday was my first day and I got on the treadmill.

First it wouldn't start. I finally have to go get the guy and at least there was a problem with it but it didn't erase the minutes of my standing there like an idiot.
    Then about halfway through my run my iPhone fell, made this huge clunking sound and got sent flying back behind me.
    THEN, not being someone who uses treadmills, I didn't pause it to get off, I just jumped on and let it send me flying after the phone. To my 39 yr old credit, I nailed the landing as planned but drew even more attention to myself.

It was an awful start, reminding me of why I used to avoid gyms.

Sith-Lord-Gunray likes this.
  18. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    We had our first (last first one for me:() CC meet on Saturday. Woof it was bloody hot out with a heat index of 105. Needless to say, we all had subpar races. I felt great the first two miles and then crashed hard after mile 3.

19. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    This is exactly what happened to me day 1 too. Also I got stuck on the eliptical and it kept going faster and faster :(

20. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    first time i ran the threadmill i was drunk. went smoothly.
    that's the way it's recommended

Kiki-Gonn and Sith-Lord-Gunray like this.
  21. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I keep forgetting to post in this thread. So I was conned into coaching YMCA 5 and 6 yr old soccer. So two days a week I'm running all over the soccer field herding small children. Another two days I'm riding a horse. I also walk my niece to the bus stop each morning and get her each afternoon. I need to start lifting weights on the days I don't do the soccer or riding, but I'm doing pretty well with myself right now.

Kiki-Gonn and Souderwan like this.
  22. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005

Once, when my phone fell and landed behind me, face down (this has happened to me more times than my pride will allow me to admit), I said "Screw it" and continued my run. After the 4th person walking by asked me if it was my phone, I just stopped and picked up the damn thing. I remain amused that every one of those people continued on, leaving it right there on the floor.

But since we're trading embarrassing gym stories, my worst was when I made the stupid mistake of doing the elliptical for the Navy PFA. I hated running and the Navy had just allowed us to start using the elliptical as an alternative to running. You went for 12 mins straight and then you get your score based on calories burned. I needed something like 220 calories to pass. Easy day, I figured. Of course, I had done precisely zero preparation. So at about the 9 min mark, when I still had like 65 calories to burn, I did the mental math and started pushing myself harder. Yeah...that went about as well as a category 5 hurricane in New Orleans.

I threw up all over the machine. I still had like 30 seconds to go, too. I didn't stop, though! Yeah. You got that right. I had to elliptical my happy butt through my own puke for a good 30 seconds. Gah.

For the record, yes I did clean it all up myself.

Sith-Lord-Gunray and Kiki-Gonn like this.
  23. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Was it worth it though? Did you complete the calories?

24. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    Oh yeah. Forgot to say that. Totally worth it. I got like 5 calories above what I needed. :D

s65horsey likes this.
  25. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Fitness Update: I met my goal and decided to drop an additional pound.