main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2013 Fitness Goals

Discussion in 'Community' started by Souderwan, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    So my wife and I are running into an argument on how to continue on with our weightless goals. I'm the type that likes to plan out and follow a meal plan and she's the type to just want to wing it. My wife and I are fighting over how to proceed and I'm just going to eat crow and go with her because I'm tired of fighting about it. Anyone have any suggestions on eating healthier on a budget? We've been following the same meal plan for a while now and I know how much money to budget for every pay day since we have what we need to buy down to a science. I guess my wife's biggest gripe is that she is tired of the same thing over and over again.

2. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Diets work by planning, if your wife isn't going to plan then she's going to be a fattie. Just tell her that.

3. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Ignore her advise. Well, the first 4 words are true. I'd ignore SLG's advice about telling her she's going to be a fattie. :p

Sith-Lord-Gunray likes this.
  4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Cannibalism is the way to go!

5. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    @Rox: Here are my two cents*. "Diets" don't work. They are unsustainable and consequently are inevitably doomed to failure. The fact that your wife is already bored with your food choices speaks to the fact that you're probably following an overly restrictive plan designed to make you loose weight. An alternative approach is to instead develop a robustly flexible approach to eating that is designed to create a healthier lifestyle--the offshoot of which is that you'll achieve and maintain a healthier weight. It may seem like semantics, but it really isn't.

What I found worked for me is that I don't think about what I "can't" eat but rather what I can. I added fruits, vegetables, leafy greens, as well as chicken and lean beefs. I really should add more fish and the like, but they are surprisingly expensive and don't keep terribly well so they are hard on my budget. You'll note that these are all ingredients, rather than meals. Combined with spices, canola and olive oil, and a bit of time and effort, you can make all kinds of very healthy meals--i.e. high nutrient density/low calorie. There are even great cookbooks out there that have 30 min healthy recipes if you're low on time. More importantly, ingredients are easy to budget for. If you like kale instead of baby spinach, that's easy to account for. I like mangos, but I get more food from bananas and apples for the same price, so mangos are like a special treat for me.

The point is that if you're eating healthier, you don't have to sit there counting calories or checking off items on a meal plan. You don't have to worry about cheating or whatever. If, in general, you eat like this, it just becomes a lifestyle and the weight will take care of itself.

*Caveat: I am not—not even remotely—a nutritionist or an expert of any kind. I’m just a dude who has tried pretty much every diet plan out there at some point or another. I’m also dispensing opinions based on very limited information. Your specific circumstances are unique to you and your wife. Short version: YMMV.

Jedi_Matt likes this.
  6. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Just sneak amphetamines into her cereal on workout days to make up for any diet deficiencies.

soitscometothis likes this.
  7. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Steal all her food and keep it for yourself.

Rox likes this.
  8. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    I had another great success I wanted to share today. I ran for 45+ mins straight!

The crazy thing is that I had just done intervals on the bike for 25 mins and my legs were all wobbly. I figured if I could get a mile or two in, I'd be happy with that. But after the second mile, I was feeling pretty good, so I just kept going. Before I knew it, I'd knocked out 5k and still had plenty in the tank. In fact, I really only stopped because I had to get to a meeting. That was pretty exciting! So all in all, I knocked out 4.6 miles--a PR!

On a related note, the Pop Fitness station on Pandora is awesome.

Jedi_Matt and Admiral Volshe like this.
  9. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    That's awesome, Souderwan! You go, man!

As for me: hi folks, I'm Saintheart, and I'm a food/laziness addict. I have briefly ghosted this thread, but with some realisations recently I figured I'd finally delurk and put my money where my mouth is and start on some realistic goals.

This came largely due to a real scare I had recently about 2:00 a.m. or so after putting my son back to bed. Basically, I started getting chest pain. Only a 1 out of 10 or so, and in the upper right chest area, but when it twinged up the right side of my neck I freaked out and headed down to the local hospital; it didn't help I'd been watching a web presentation on the signs of heart attack. Anyway, to cut a long story short, about $300 and eight hours later, and with a smarting back of the left hand where they stuck a harpoon into it, they gave me the all-clear and guessed it was probably just pain in the muscles of the chest wall rather than the first sign of a heart attack, but it was a hell of a wake-up call.

I'm about 35 kg overweight on optimal size, and I've tried a few weight loss measures before, so I know there's a long and decidedly unpleasant road ahead of me.

My basic plan right at this point is a 20 minute walk on the treadmill every day, no exceptions, for the first two weeks, and then start moving up to longer, faster walks. I've heard good things about the Couch-to-5K program -- I plan to get into that once I've finished my second week of 20 minutes walking per day. That's more or less my cardiac "rehab" program if you will.

I'm also starting -- very slowly -- on doing strength training. Being unfortunately the biggest nerd at school but fortunately tall enough not to get my head stuffed down toilets and what have you, I've never actually done any strength training, and I'm a bit leery of lashing out to join a gym. Instead, again, I'm going to start really slow with something really basic: push-ups. Two sets of 6 pushups (from my knees, not at full extension), right after the 20 minute walk, which is probably hilariously wimpy, but I want to try and get the form right and not do myself an injury from trying to push too hard too fast. On that one, Henry Rollins about Iron and the Soul essay really struck me, especially this bit:

I might say, though -- any tips to an ultra noob on strength training? Are there basic exercises you'd recommend, a set of exercises which would suit the purpose of building up strength and cutting weight?

Jedi_Matt and Souderwan like this.
  10. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    This is fantastic, Saintheart! Bravo on taking the most critical step you need to--the first one. I think your goal of 20 mins of walking every day is a great one. You're wise to select goals that are relatively easy to meet. So long as you hold yourself accountable, you should be fine. As you've pointed out, you don't want to push so hard that you end up hurting yourself. But you also don't want to set goals so high that if you fail to meet them and end up getting discouraged. Getting on the horse is hard. Getting back on after you've falled off is often harder. Again, I applaud your push!

Yes. I can give you a detailed methodolgy if you like, but here are some body weight exercises that are great for building strength and have the virtue of being able to be done wherever you go:

• Pushups (you already got that one) - You can also do inclined pushups as an alternative to doing them on your knees. Start with a 45 deg incline and then work your way up to doing them flat at full extension. Also, consider varying your stance to change difficulty - wide grip, narrow grip and diamond are common.
    • Body Weight Squats - Start with simple down and ups, keeping your back straight. When they get easy, move to jump squats and/or single leg squats.
    • Lunges - Watch a youtube video on how to do these properly. You don't want to inuure yourself and they can be stressful on the knees. Once they become easy, move to side lunges and/or walking lunges.
    • Leg lifts - There are lots of variations on this, but basically you lay on your back flat, and lift your legs up to a 90 deg angle.
    • Crunches - (Lift with your abs, not your shoulders or back) Do not do situps.
    • High Knee Run In Place - (20-30 seconds)
    • Planks/Rolling Planks - (20-30 seconds. Probably want to start with 10 secs and work your way up)
    • Step Ups - Use a bench or something anywhere for 12 inches to 30 inches in height and simply step up and down on it. If that ever becomes too easy, you can do jump ups. Just be careful to use something that is very stable and can support your weight--especially if you're jumping up.
    • Dips - You can do these on the ground or against a bench. These are hard on your elbows--especially if you're very heavy like me, so be careful not to hurt yourself there.

The way you'd use these is to select 4-5 of these and do 8 reps of each exercise with a few seconds break in between. Then, after you've completed the whole set, rest for 2 mins and then rinse and repeat for a total of 3 sets. You WILL be tired at the end, but you shouldn't be hurting. I'd only do that about 3 times a week. If an exercise is too hard to do, it's more important to do fewer "right" than anything. And there is nothing wrong with doing easier versions of the exercises while you build your strength.

Hope that helps.

Good luck! :)

Saintheart and Admiral Volshe like this.
  11. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Second meet of the season is tomorrow. Have to get up super early. Ugh.

Souderwan likes this.
  12. Kiki-Gonn

Feb 26, 2001
    So as reported previously I joins the gym by my office.
    I've worked out for 11 workdays in a row. I am loving not having to steal a workout here and there through the week after everyone else has gone to sleep, etc.

Today I learned a valuable lesson though...
    Hadn't eaten lunch and went to workout 1st when the opportunity came up.
    I had only eaten plain cereal with skim milk in the morning. Other than that Id had a cup of coffee.

Ran .67 miles before accidentally shutting the treadmill down :(
    I'm new to all this damn gym equipment.
    Then I did 4 miles in 36:11

Problem was I hit the hunger wall hard. I mean real hard.
    By the time I had showered, etc. I was in the danger zone. I'm just starting to feel semi-normal again. Won't make that mistake again.

Souderwan likes this.
  13. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I've had that happen before too. On my Sunday Funday Hangover Runs, I don't eat anything beforehand. Really big mistake.

14. Kiki-Gonn

Feb 26, 2001
    Ugh, awful typo on my last post.

It was bad, I still don't feel great and it's been hours. Was great to get the workout in though; I haven't worked out this often in 15 years easily.

15. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    Good luck this season, I Are The Internets!

Kiki-Gonn, I feel your pain. I've been there many times. I have learned to have a few dry food snacks--granola, trail mix (without the M&Ms or yogurt covered raisins :p) handy. A couple handfuls of trail mix is a quick easy 200-300 calories that can seriously stave off that feeling. Good on ya for getting into a routine, man! Good luck!

Kiki-Gonn likes this.
  16. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I broke 28:30 for my 4.75 this week, which is 6 min ks. Happy with the improvement so far.

17. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    So I've avoided this thread out of shame. Haven't done a damn bit to lose weight, exercise wise. After more than a year of prompting and cajoling by my daughter, I have finally joined the gym her and son in law go to. Nothing like putting a bit of money into getting my ass in gear.

Today starts my journey of becoming one foxy old lady.

18. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    That's awesome, Frieda! I mean, you're already one foxy young lady but it's great that you're gonna be hitting the gym! Have fun!!

And bravo, Marcus! Hell of a pace.

19. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Bought new running shoes the other day. I know I should replace these things after 6 months or so, but this time I waited a bit long and my knees have begun hurting a bit.:( So new shoes. They're a bit different to my previous pair which were super-light (these new ones are a bit more supportive), and my legs are feeling the difference.My old shoes were Saucony Progrid Ride 4, my new ones are Asics Gel Phoenix.

Anyway, my sister dragged me for a 6 mile jog today and it felt okay, with only very minor complaint from my knees. Managed to do 10 chin-ups the other week, which is good for me.

Souderwan and Kiki-Gonn like this.
  20. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Third day at the gym. Usually an hour, but today 1.5 hours. I've been doing cardio and then resistance training followed by a bit more cardio.

I feel so damn good mentally and physically when I leave. Granted later there's a bit of aches and mornings I might be a bit stiff, but that ok.

I can't say how much I'm looking forward to a weigh in and maybe see some decrease instead of increase. :D :D

Kiki-Gonn, Souderwan and Zapdos like this.
  21. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    I have been so stressed because of work that I have really neglected my health and well-being. It doesn't help I am stuck with a stress-related disorder which makes me really tired. But back to the gym today and we'll see how it goes. :)

Souderwan likes this.
  22. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    Good luck, Yvette! I hope you find more energy from the workout.

JediYvette likes this.
  23. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Meet on Saturday went great! I felt terrible, but I got the best time since sophomore year.

Souderwan likes this.
  24. Kiki-Gonn

Feb 26, 2001
    3 miles this morning on the treadmill this morning (26:38) followed by a mile at a slower pace.

Healer_Leona and Souderwan like this.
  25. Kiki-Gonn

Feb 26, 2001
    I'll dbl post, why not?

26:02 this morning for the 3 mile run. The strong part I feel is that this was after staying home yesterday with (I'm guessing) food poisoning.

soitscometothis and Souderwan like this.