main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2013 Fitness Goals

Discussion in 'Community' started by Souderwan, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    I am only weighing myself weekly, same time of day, same day of the week and tracking the results. I wouldn't care about the numerical value if it wasn't a factor in the specific diet I am on.

Souderwan likes this.
  2. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I also want to advice you all to not panic if the scales doesn't show a lot of progress. Especially for those of you who are starting an exercise routine, it's actually not uncommon to add some weight (=muscles) before you loose some.

Oh, and who said sport was good for you. The pic is blurry but that is a 4" bruise on my arm, from playing bandy yesterday. Still doesn't beat this bruise from 2006, but I guess that is one of the perks of not playing in the highest league anymore.

Otherwise I feel pretty worn after last week. There was a bandy game on Sunday, training on Monday and Wednesday and then I went 13k cross country skiing on Thursday and then a game on Sunday again.

Souderwan likes this.
  3. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Careful with the sports drinks, because Gatorade has a lot of sugar in it too.

Souderwan likes this.
  4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Yup I learned that the hard way last semester. Many a sleepless night. Oops.

5. imperial_dork

imperial_dork Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2003
    Some of you know that I lost over 100 pounds between 2006 and 2008 and have since kept the majority of the weight off. This year, my goal is to finally shed that last bit of weight (always the hardest). While I'm tracking my weight loss in pounds (10.2 since mid Dec.), my ultimate goal is not scale based.

Besides wanting to look good in my wedding dress in April, I am starting to train for STP (200 mile Seattle to Portland bike ride) in July. The near freezing temps here have kept me off my bike, but I've been doing cardio and am starting on the stationary bike this week until the weather is a tad warmer. So far, my longest ride has been about 45 miles. I hope to hit the century mark before spring.

6. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Well this weekend we went to San Antonio to visit family so it was pretty much a diet disaster... Road trip food then a lot of Mexican food :)

AaylaSecurOWNED and MASTERPRENN like this.
  7. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    Walked to the book festival at lunch then lugged back a bag of books after lunch! Totally did in the name of fitness! :D

8. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Gym tonight!

The normal mile and a half KILLED me for some reason. I was running at a faster pace than usual, but it was bad. Haha anyway, ran and did weights. Really starting to see a difference in my body! It's cool because it just motivates me to do more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Souderwan, ma_petite and Miana Kenobi like this.
  9. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    P90X was arms last night. I used 2.5 lbs because a lot of the exercises had you lifting over your head and that tends to be bad for my neck which was already a little grumpy. My right arm is fine this morning so I need to get a bigger weight but my left arm is feeling it. Do I up the weight in both arms or strengthen the left first and then up?

Also there was an exercise I couldn't do with my right arm but I could with my left which makes no sense to me. I will try to find a video later to show you.

(mobile sock of s65horsey)

MASTERPRENN and Souderwan like this.
  10. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I worked out Monday morning before work, but I took yesterday and today off from exercise to let myself get a little more sleep than usual. I feel guilty, but I actually feel awake.

MASTERPRENN likes this.
  11. imperial_dork

Aug 11, 2003
    Hopped on the stationary bike yesterday. My legs felt great, but could they make the seats ANY more uncomfortable? Going back today, and adding some arm workout thingers.

s65horsey, Souderwan and MASTERPRENN like this.
  12. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    I've generally found it's best to keep the same weight on both arms and build them to the same strength level. It might be worth it to up the weight and just do fewer reps--builds muscle faster. That has worked for me personally. Just remember that there is no point in injuring yourself.

I know, right?! Last year I was doing the stationary bike a lot. Mostly 30-45 mins at time, HIIT stype stuff. After about 4 or 5 months, though, my tailbone just couldn't take it anymore. I bought all kinds of seat cusions and bicycle shorts and it still didn't help1 (Admittedly, I've probably got the flattest *** you'll ever see on a black man so the design problem isn't necessarily the bike). My tailbone still aches from time to time. I never thought the day would come when running was a better alternative for me than biking.

s65horsey likes this.
  13. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    Well, I finally dropped under 200 this morning, on my way to a target weight between 175 and 185. I'm not doing much beyond portion control, drinking more water, and mild exercise at this point towards the goal, but I've lost around 5 pounds since I started after the holidays.

s65horsey, Miana Kenobi and Souderwan like this.
  14. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Got a nice easy workout today. Some 200's plus a distance run.

Souderwan likes this.
  15. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    So I know I shouldn't be a slave to the scale, but I totally did a little dance today because my weigh in on Monday sucked, but according to this morning, I'm already 2lbs less than Monday's weight.

s65horsey likes this.
  16. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Ok here's the thing I had trouble with. Its called a Side Triceps pushup. My right arm is dominant and I could not do this with my right arm. It is also the arm I have trouble with when my neck hurts (the disk bulges and pushes on the nerve and I lose feeling in my right arm and leg). Could that be why I couldn't do it with my right arm?

17. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001
    Well, now that baby is here it's time for mommy and daady to take better care of themselves (especially since daddy is 40 and mommy is not too far behind).

Current weight 238.
    Signed up for getfittexas.org thru my job (completing minimum requirements gets us 4 hours leave, so easy to attain), and joined Maulfly over on SparkPeople. Considering my age, the fact I'm on two cholesterol meds and whatnot it's time to shed some poundage.

Apartment complex has a very nice gym setup, so I'll need to try that out (need to see what the hours are) but bare minimum I can just to stairs, since we're on the second floor I can just go out and climb stairs for 30 minutes if I've done nothing else :p

I need to get into shape if I'm to go back to DisneyWorld and/or Celebration VII next year (also happens to be our 10th wedding anniversary in Nov 2014). I want to prove I can take control of my health back.

Souderwan likes this.
  18. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Congrats on the little one!

19. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Workout felt great today. I managed to stay with my group during the laps. The 5 mile run outside in the freezing cold wind was fairly challenging though since I only had an under-armor t-shirt along with a Marmot jacket on my upper body. :oops: Fortunately, I was wearing running pants and a hat and gloves, but running in the wind in the single digits is pretty interesting.

20. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    Yeah, I suspect if you're losing feeling in that arm, you're using it less than you might realize. You should definitely see a doctor/physical therapist to regain strength in that arm. That said, that particular exercise doesn't just rely on your arm--your obliques probably need strengthening too. I tried it myself and that is a pretty tough exercise for me. So...idk...take that for what it's worth.

s65horsey likes this.
  21. PatttyB0123

PatttyB0123 Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 2, 2003
    Bought Kitnect to doing exercises. :).
    I have only use 10 times during the month of January.
    My resolution no more sodas. So far none for a month.

22. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I managed to squeeze in a short workout last night. It had to involve unconventional exercises like walking my son down the stairs with one hand while holding the kettlebell in the other, doing squats at the top of the steps while my son played on the loft, etc.

Of course yesterday was national pie day so my we had to pick up some peanut butter chocolate mile high cream pie from Norma's so the day was a wash at best :)

Souderwan likes this.
  23. imperial_dork

Aug 11, 2003
    Day 2 on the stationary bike. Felt a lot better and was able to sustain a higher cadence for long stretches. While it feels good to be moving again, this is making my longing for an actual bike ride that much more intense. Stupid Pacific NW weathers.

I didn't think about wearing my bike shorts until I read your post yesterday. It helped somewhat. My butt was sore during the last 5 minutes rather than the first 15. Haha.

Going to attempt couples yoga this weekend. Sadly, that is not a euphemism. [face_chicken]

yankee8255, MASTERPRENN and Souderwan like this.
  24. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    Took yesterday off. Our schedules don't work pb Wed and I think the break was good for my neck. Today was yoga day and it was more hilarious than relaxing but the stretches made my back feel good.

(mobile sock of s65horsey)

25. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    You guys make me feel bad for the poor attempt I've been making so far. :( I've managed to keep under my caloric count, but have just been too lazy to do more.