main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2013 Fitness Goals

Discussion in 'Community' started by Souderwan, Jan 12, 2013.

1. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Friends of ours signed up for a couples yoga class. Going in to the first class, they saw his ex-wife. Couples yoga cancelled.

As for me. fighting off a cold has failed, so I won't be back on treadmill until I can actually brerath again. Hopefully this weekend.

I've also discovered one major flaw in my treadmill in the evening plan -- the beer/glass of wine with dinner. :oops:

2. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    The GPS on my iphone has been mostly working, but yesterday after finishing my run, the app I was using said I had gone almost 4 miles and had a 10 minute pace, which I knew wasn't true - I've never run a 10 minute mile in my life :p . I mapped the route on Google maps and it was just over 2 miles. This also happened once before with Runtastic, I thought it was an app glitch, but the fact that it's happening across several apps has me worried. Has anyone had this problem with their running apps/GPS tracking? I have no idea how it could have counted nearly twice the distance I actually went.

3. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    Most of the reports I've heard with mis-counts on GPS apps have been android apps. When I was walking a lot, I used logmyrun.com (free) on my iPhone and it never had an issue but I haven't tried any GPS apps on my droid yet. I have two friends who have had apps over-report their performance, sometimes on the order of a mile or two.

In other news, today is a huge accomplishment for me. I broke the 4 mile barrier! Prior to today, the farthest I'd run/walked in recent memory was 3.55 miles. Today I got to 4.07 miles. And in the same time it took me to do the 3.55 miles--42 mins! I'm pretty stoked.

4. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    K guys, stupid question. I went to the gym last night. Didn't ran, but lifted quite a bit. For the last two weeks, lifting every other day, my arms have rarely been sore the next morning or the day after. Is this a sign that I'm not doing enough reps/weights? Or is it fine? I don't know whether I should be increasing what I'm doing, or whether being sore the next morning matters at all, as far as telling you how hard the workout was the night before.

5. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    In the interests of keeping myself honest, I would just like to say that I have done exactly zero to get myself more healthy since I last posted in this thread. :oops:

6. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    MASTERPRENN: I wouldn't stress too much about it. When lifting weights, I know I've worked my hardest and am lifting at the right weight if I'm at or near fatigue when I get to my 8th rep in a given set. If I'm not, I probably need to up the weight. I rarely get sore in the upper body at all--especially if I cool down and stretch properly. My legs are always sore, though.

Bottom line is that being sore probably means you beat your muscles up pretty good and they need to recover. Not being sore, however, doesn't mean you aren't pushing hard enough.

MASTERPRENN likes this.
  7. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    If your goal is muscle growth then yes you should feel some burn the next day. If you're going for toned/overall healthy then I wouldn't worry.

8. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Ok update for me. Today is going to be day 7 on P90X and it is stretching. Unknown since my SIL has never done this particular dvd before. If it is good I'll add this one on Wednesdays. The leg workouts have been fantastic for me. I think we did 80-some calf raises which were brutal. I think splitting things up and taking Wednesday off (or stretching) and then Sunday being stretch day is going to work great for my neck. I've been icing it (best thing for it that I have found). Kenpo (kickboxing) was yesterday and I am feeling it this morning, but not sore in ways I don't want to be so I'm pretty pumped.

One tidbit that I've noticed is that when we first started jumping jacks hurt and yesterday they did not even feel like anything. I'm pretty amazed.

9. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    That's fantastic, Lisa! Keep it up! I know what you mean about how cool it is to see improvement. I'm really stoked about my progress, too!

My update for the week: I broke 15 miles! I never thought that would be possible for me. I'm already 9 miles ahead of my goal for the month!

Dani got me thinking about my goal, though, and I realize that if I don't adjust it now, I'll probably slack off soon. It's just my natural energy state So I have readjusted my goal to be an average of at least 1 mile per day, per month. It's similar to the previous goal, but I won't allow roll-over miles. This way, the worst I can do is slack off for a week or two.

10. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    I love that! Congratulations!

I like that idea, Brian! It's a good adjustment, still the same overall goal, but it keeps you in check a little better.

I did 5 miles this week. I was pretty happy with my performance during the work week, but I slacked off yesterday when I really should have done something. Also I didn't make a lot of progress with my pushups, but I did add in planks, did a few 30-60 second planks every day, plus some other simple resistance exercises.

Gonna head out today and start Week 2 of my Couch to 5K program.

This week: 5 miles
    Total: 10.2 miles (Should be at 27)

11. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    Keep it up, Dani! It's always important to remember that even if you're missing your goals, you're still doing way better than if you had no goals at all!

12. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Brian, I may steal that 365 miles this year thing, too. I have the couch to 5k app and that worked for me last year, but I never got past the 3rd week. I use a Fitbit now, and log calories on MyFitnessPal. I haven't hit the gym yet, this year, but have logged about 21 miles in walking, so yeah... I'm behind.

AaylaSecurOWNED likes this.
  13. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    You aren't behind by much! You can easily make up the few miles you are behind.

(mobile sock of s65horsey)

Souderwan likes this.
  14. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Today's weekly weigh-in revealed an amazing improvement from last week in that this week was an awesome 5.8lbs lost! All I did differently? Made sure to hit at least 80-100oz of water a day.

This week starts adding exercise back in. My coach wants me to just do some simple 10 minute workouts on youtube. Someone really needs to invent the "10 Minute Workout for people who live in upstairs apartments and have thin floors and crotchety downstairs neighbors." :p

Souderwan likes this.
  15. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    That's awesome, Rachel! I have been frustratingly slow on the weight loss portion of things despite running more than I ever have in my life. That said, I'm comfortably wearing pants I couldn't wear 6 months ago and everything is tightening up in the right places. I ever see some semblance of a butt showing up! So I'm ignoring the scale and just staying positive.

rhonderoo, I really do hope you adopt the goal and it works for you! Nothing would make me happier. And I agree with Lisa. The nice thing about this goal is that you don't have to make it all up at once. If you add just half a mile a over the course of a regular month, you'd do 45 miles! Even at a brisk walking pace (4 mph), you're covering 1 mile in just 15 mins and it only takes an additional 7.5 to get to 1.5 miles. Bottom line: You can meet this goal in under 30 mins every day*.

Goodl luck!

*This reminder is how I get my fat butt out of bed every morning.

16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Well my arch pain is almost completely gone since I switched running shoes. It's also nice out today, so even though there is still snow on the ground I think I'll break out the running shorts.

Souderwan likes this.
  17. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    I did one of those Couch-to-5K trainings last year and I was amazed with the results. I managed to run my first 5k in December and although it's a relatively short distance, I was very proud of myself :p

I haven't done any running for like a month but I'll get back to it this week, my fitness goal for this year isn't too ambitious, I only want to keep doing what I started last year and maybe run a couple 5K's.

AaylaSecurOWNED and Souderwan like this.
  18. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    This weekend I discovered the difference between thinking one might be fit, and discovering one isn't. :p I was invited to come and play five-aside football on Friday evening. I accepted, with glee, as I've been doing well at my running recently. I try to do 5k twice a week. Even though I'd not played for an age, I thought it would be a breeze. Turns out I'm stupid. :p The stop-start nature of football took it out of me quicker than I'd expected. :p

(when I was taking a turn in goal, I also managed to bend two fingers back on themselves pretty horribly. They swelled up A LOT, and went a slightly off-black colour. Fortunately neither were broken. [face_relieved])

Souderwan likes this.
  19. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012
    Don't eat fast food, that's the worst 10 pounds you could ever put on...

The problem with people who are hard gainers, im assuming that's what you are, is that you always think youre eating enough. Generally 99% of hard gainers are never eating what they should be...

This isn't something tat you do 2-3 days a week, its a complete lifestyle change and requires complete dedication...

You need to start eating 6-8 times a day and being consistent with it. Measure your meals, incorporate protein shakes 3 times a day and consume massive amounts of protein while remembering carbsarent your enemy..'

But by god do not use fast food as a way to put on 10 pounds, youll be killing yourself in the process.

20. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001

LOL, I know exactly what you mean. I played 'touch' rugby a year ago at an old man team practice and the start stop running was killing me!

21. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    some of the best cardio a person can do is start stop cardio..

go to an outside track, bring a stop watch with an alert on it, run for 45 seconds as hard as you can, when the alert sounds, stop and walk back to your starting position, than when you get bac run again for 45 seconds as hard as you can, than walk back...

repeat this for 15-20 minutes.. its almost like cardio interval training. your cardio will shoot up with this.

22. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    Weekend report: Gym Thursday, but no running. Just weights. I was sore for like three days though, so that was good. Out of town for work Friday - Sunday, but I did 100 pushups with my feet elevated on Friday night, and then 20 on Saturday. Sunday I was too sore to do anything. This morning I played tennis and tonight I play golf, and I'm hitting the gym Tuesday night.

The weird part is, I'm looking forward to the gym tomorrow, because I haven't been since Thursday and I feel like a slacker. I've never wanted to go to the gym before. It's kind of freaking me out.

23. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    don't elevate your feet on push ups unless youre trying to work your lower chest... just stick to regular push ups.. if anything do regular push up's and raise a leg in the air.. but elevated push ups? stick to the basics.

or do a routine of different push up variations. normal width, far width, close width, elevated and diamond push up's.. I suggest that's what you do

24. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    Nah, I was specifically targeting the chest. When I'm lifting, I try to hit most muscles in my arm, but over the weekend I wanted to give the other muscles a break and just hit the chest hard, since I don't do that too often and it's also the area where I want to see the most growth.

25. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    One of the problems with offering unsolicited advice is that you rarely have enough information to provide anything particularly helpful. It's one thing if someone is asking a specific question for which you might, with your experience or research, have an answer, but most of us posting in this thread are just sharing our personal stories on how we're doing at meeting our goals. Encouragement is always welcome.