main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph 2013 - What Movies Do You Want To See Most?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    The last thing they want to do is remind people of the worst the franchise has to offer, rather. I don't think Star Wars has lost its appeal. Cultural relevance, perhaps, but that's up to JJ et al to reignite. I think they'll probably do rather well, too. Disney just wants to keep people focused on the future rather than the past.

EDIT: A very particular part of the past, rather.

EDIT EDIT:
    Right... relative decline of the prequels, not of the franchise as a whole. The poor box office reflects the poor film (people know what they're getting in a 3D re-release), not a franchise that's lost it's appeal.

2. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Hopefully you're right, that the prequels haven't had a blowback effect on the appeal of the franchise as a whole. When ANH made a quarter billion in re-release and ESB made $125 million in the 1990s, Star Wars was an unimpeachable brand. Part of the box office success was the gimmick of adding digital effects, sure, but the other part was that people were extremely excited about seeing those movies again in theaters.

Would ESB 3D do as well today? First, 3D no longer sells as a gimmick. That train left the station with movies like Clash of the Titans. Second, there's some lingering public scorn for the franchise as a whole as a result of the prequels.

Maybe there's some goodwill built up among a small number of families as the result of the Clone Wars series. But that audience is too small to really support a movie franchise.

3. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I suspect a 3D OT would do well enough, yes. Plus, even less than perfect numbers for a 3D re-release would serve to remind people of the parts of the franchise Disney want remembered in the lead up to VII. Star Wars isn't what it was, I can't pretend that (I've fallen out of love with it pretty dramatically myself), but I think there's more than enough left in the tank to fuel the sequel trilogy. It's just a case of managing what people remember. I'm sure the build-up to the sequel trilogy will focus almost exclusively on the OT.

EDIT: Although I do think the appointment of a respected scribe and director was a wise move. Not only to appoint them, but to make such a big deal out of it. It will help to position the project alongside their previous - and admired - works rather than the prequels.

I also doubt Disney would be attempting the project were they not pretty confident.

4. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    True, how [The] could you [Black] have anything but [Hole] the utmost [Mars] confidence [Needs] in Disney's [Moms] confidence regarding [John] its ability to make successful [Carter] science fiction movies?

Ender_Sai likes this.
  5. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    All the more reason to need to be confident. :p

6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    That's why they bought Lucasfilm. :p

7. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Saw a trailer for "Warm Bodies."

Zombie dramedy. Sometimes I lie awake at night worrying that Hollywood has bled the zombie genre dry.

8. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Yes... they have eaten all the brains out of the genre.

9. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    They'll bury the genre for a while. But someday it will rise again.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  10. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    And the special editions of the OT. The rape and pillage of those films, which make have lacked the bells and whistles Georgie Boy wanted but were better for it, has sucked any soul out of them. What people loved was being eroded away one digital change at a time.

11. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I'm glad you're still young enough to summon outrage over the SEs. I'm too arthritic and stooped for that. Plus early-stage dementia.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  12. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I'm not sure I could say they're worse than the prequels, but they're certainly on par. They manage to prequel-ise the OT by sucking any intellect, heart and soul out of the stories. In short, the SEs brought the OTs down to the PT's level. Made them idiotic.

13. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    We've done two sneak peaks here the last two weeks in a row. I thought it was hilarious, Rob Corddy was awesome in it. It might not break any records but its a decent flick.

14. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Star Trek Into Darkness, The Hobbit 2, Man of Steel, Pacific Rim, Oz The Great and Powerful, Evil Dead, JP 3D, Despicable Me 2, The Wolverine, Sin City: A Dame to Kill For, The World's End, Thor 2, Frozen.

Huh. I guess it's people like me that kill Hollywood's originality.

Of those, I'm most looking forward to Star Trek Into Darkness, Pacific Rim, Man of Steel, and the next Hobbit.

15. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    The World's End definitely. Hollywood (or Britain or France or anyone else) can send as many apocalyptic comedies as they want That will never get old.

16. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
  17. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, my list is still Iron Man 3, Man of Steel, Jurassic Park 3D, AOTC 3D, ROTS 3D, and The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug, but I'm definitely most looking forward to The Hobbit. Iron Man 3 is second.

18. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I'll probably see Iron Man 3, Thor 2, The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug. Maybe The Great Gatsby, just because it's DiCaprio in the part he was born to play; maybe Jack Ryan. Probably Pacific Rim. Probably Man of Steel. And surprisingly, I was knocked the **** out by The Evil Dead trailer. I wasn't planning on seeing it, but now I think I am.

19. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I plan on not seeing any superhero movies this year. Turned out to be a very satisfying strategy last year.

Must-see: The Alan Partridge Movie. Even if I need to travel to the UK for it.

20. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I'm not happy about the Alan Partridge movie. I feel the character has been drained dry over the last few years. 'Knowing Me, Knowing You - with Alan Partridge' was glorious, as was the first series of 'I'm Alan Partridge', but since then he's become a parody of himself. I'd rather Alan was consigned to the past, but I can understand Coogan's wish to keep using him. He's got nothing else.

21. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I agree that the first series were the best - in fact they were so good that I'm just hooked for life. Kinda like with Star Wars, I keep hoping for a return to form.

22. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Fair enough. I'll probably go and see it - hoping to for the best - and then wish I hadn't afterwards. :p

23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm glad Twilight is no more, but apparently this means we need to have thousands of Twilight clones coming out this year.

24. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Yes congrats to Jeremy Irons for being first out of the gate with a Twilight ripoff.

25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Man he needs to find a better agent or something. He's been in crap for the past decade.