main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph 2014 Awards Season

Discussion in 'Community' started by Juliet316 , Dec 12, 2013.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Well with the SAG award nomination annoucements yesterday and Golden Globe nominations having been announced today, I figured now was the time to start this thread. Any thoughts thus far?

The team of Fey/Phoeler will be returning to host the Globes. Woody Allen is receving the Cecil B. DeMile award.

2. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    Joss Whedon posted a really hilariously mopey tweet yesterday that Much Ado wasn't nominated for anything.

Fascinated that Daniel Bruhl is nominated as supporting for Rush, when he basically carried the movie. I guess they knew he didn't stand a chance among the leading actor field, it's like Hailee Steinfeld all over again.

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It's really a shame Hugh wasn't nominated for Prisoners. That was an intense performance.

4. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Really happy to see Frances Ha get some love. Also pleased at Stephen Price's nomination.

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  5. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    a hilariously mopey tweet? sounds like person of the year material to me.

EmpireForever likes this.
  6. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Judging by TIME's runner ups, they probably agree.

7. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Personally, I thought Gyllenhaal gave the best performance in Prisoners. Everyone was good, but he just really excelled; much more interior, intelligent performance than he usually gives.

Also, Fey/Poehler! YEEEEEEEESSSSSSSS!

Once the year actually wraps up, I will post the "Rougie" nominations: top ten movies, male performances, female performances, ensembles & directors.

8. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    You should do top ten worst movies too.

9. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I'm going to at least do the one worst in each of those categories. I suppose I could do the ten worst. I dunno that I could do all the performances and director though. But I could do the ten worst movies since I have them all ranked.

10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I agree with most of those nominations, especially for the films I've actually seen. The only omission I can think of (IMO) is Harrison Ford for 42. At least deserved a nomination for Best Supporting Actor :(

11. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Perhaps give The Rock a supporting nod for Pain and Gain?

12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    ^^ While he probably deserves it, I don't see it happening anytime soon. Especially for a Michael Bay film. I agree, and think it was the best performance of his career (though admittedly that's not saying much), but Pain & Gain itself didn't get the best reviews. His performance might have, but low critical regard plus the stigma that still surrounds Bay doomed any chances of recognition from major award venues.

13. Adam of Nuchtern

Sep 2, 2012
  14. Jedi Master Cheve

Jedi Master Cheve Jedi Youngling

Jan 8, 2014
    Funny, i just read the same thing in a Grantland article.

15. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    So Golden Globes are this Sunday...

16. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Can't wait for more Fey/Poehler antics. :D

17. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  18. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    I'm not impressed about the U2 song from Mandela winning.

I have nothing against U2 and Nelson Mandela, but I have a feeling the ONLY reason that song won was because of the man's passing. Heck a lot of people say it's that even a good song to begin with.

Happy that Frozen won Best Animated Feature. Should've won Best Original Song too.

19. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Okay, my thoughts, based on the nominees (if I get into what should have been nominated in place of some, we'll be here all day; I'm talking what should have won from the nominees) and what I've seen

Best Motion Picture, Drama

12 Years is the best of the nominees; none of the other nominees deserved to be nominated, frankly.

Best Actress in a Motion Picture, Drama

Haven't seen Labor Day or Saving Mr. Banks yet. But Blanchett is head and shoulders above Bullock and Dench, though Dench is very good.

Best Actor in a Motion Picture, Drama

I'd have given it to Ejiofor,, but McConaughey is a fine choice as he's tremendous in Dallas Buyers Club and probably career best. Haven't seen the Mandela movie. Redford and Hanks are both very good, but neither great, in my opinion

Best Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy

Haven't seen Her, Llewyn Davis or Wolf yet, so this isn't worth much. Hustle is a worthy winner. Nebraska is a fine film, but I wouldn't have nominated it.

Actress in a Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy

Haven't seen Before Midnight, Frances Ha or Osage County. Amy Adams is really good, but I'd have given it to Louis-Dreyfus who is fantastic.

Best Actor in a Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy

Only seen Hustle and Nebraska; of those two, Bale is far better.

Best Animated Feature Film

Only seen Despicable Me 2, so I really couldn't say. It's a really great one, though.

Best Foreign Language Film

Only seen Warmest Color. Hopefully I'll have gotten some more of these under my belt by Oscar time.

Best Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture

N'yongo is worthy and Hawkins is fine, but Lawrence deserved the win of these nominees. Squibb . . . gets some laughs, but I wouldn't go any farther than that.

Best Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture

These are all fine nominees. Leto is a little Oscar-baity; Fassbender only has one note, though he hits it well. Abdi elevates what is really a pretty poorly written part. Cooper is very funny. Bruhl is the clear winner as far as I'm concerned.

Best Director, Motion Picture

All fine jobs, but, for all the issues I had with Gravity, Cuaron is the only conceivable winner out of these guys. Breathtaking visuals.

Best Screenplay, Motion Picture

American Hustle is a standout here and I haven't seen Her. Nebraska and Philomena are very good. But 12 Years is the winner here for me. It's got a wonderful, archaic, rustic, Shakespearean quality to it that I absolutely loved.

Best Original Score - Motion Picture

Didn't see Book Thief or Mandela. Don't remember Gravity at all. Loved Zimmer's work on 12 Years, his best in years. But Ebert's score for All is Lost was tremendous and never quite did what I expected it to do. A worthy winner.

Best Original Song - Motion Picture

Saw Catching Fire and have no idea what song they're talking about. Never even heard of One Chance. This must be a weak year.

20. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I was so happy when I turned the GG on and Jennifer Lawrence was going up to get her award.[face_love]

21. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Tom Hanks shut out at Oscars, nothing for Saving Mr. Banks or Captain Phillips.

22. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    I don't understand these kids today and their obsession with Jennifer Lawrence.

[​IMG]

23. Adam of Nuchtern

Sep 2, 2012
  24. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i've only seen american hustle and gravity out of the best picture noms. looking forward to watching the rest before the ceremony though. and the docs, which will undoubtedly be incredibly depressing.

25. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Very happy for Christian Bale.

Very unhappy for Emma Thompson.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.