main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lou, KY 2014 Book Club Reads: general musings

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Yoda_Jammies, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Yoda_Jammies

Yoda_Jammies Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    Hi all,

Just thought I would start an informal page to see what we want to do with the BC next year. What do we want to read? I will post a list of all the SW books that we have not read (and their are a lot). I will leave out the young adult books (except for the Glove of Darth Vader books that 11 11 and others love so much). I only know of 2 books for 2014: the Han Solo book and the Darth Maul book. Then, in 2013, there were 3 books that came out that we did not discuss in BC: Kenobi (best SW book of the year), the Leia book Razor's Edge, and the Dawn of the Jedi book.

For completeness, I am going to include the books in a series, like the NJO and Legacy. Would we want to tackle a seris that big? If so, that may be what we do for the year. "2014: Year of Fate of the Jedi." Of course, as you can see-- we have lots of stand-alones, duologies, and trilogies left too.

So, thoughts?

Jammies

Dawn of the Jedi
    • Dawn of the Jedi: Into the Void (2013), by Tim Lebbon (A)
    The Old Republic
    • The Old Republic: Revan (2011), by Drew Karpyshyn (3954 BBY) (A)
    • The Old Republic: Fatal Alliance (2010), by Sean Williams (Ca. 3643 BBY) (A)
    • The Old Republic: Annihilation (2012), by Drew Karpyshyn (3641 BBY) (A)
    Darth Bane
    • Darth Bane: Path of Destruction (2006), by Drew Karpyshyn (1003-1000 BBY) (A)
    • Darth Bane: Rule of Two (2007), by Drew Karpyshyn (1000 BBY-990 BBY) (A)
    • Darth Bane: Dynasty of Evil (2009), by Drew Karpyshyn (980 BBY) (A)
    Cloak of Deception
    Darth Maul
    • Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter (2001), by Michael Reaves (32.5 BBY) (A)
    • Darth Maul: Lockdown (2014) Joe Schreiber
    Rogue Planet
    • Rogue Planet (2000), by Greg Bear (29 BBY) (A)
    The Approaching Storm
    The Clone Wars
    Clone Wars: Gambit
    Republic Commando
    • Star Wars Republic Commando: Hard Contact (2004), by Karen Traviss (22 BBY) (A)
    • Star Wars Republic Commando: Triple Zero (2006), by Karen Traviss (21 BBY) (A)
    • Star Wars Republic Commando: True Colors (2007), by Karen Traviss (21 BBY) (A)
    • Star Wars Republic Commando: Order 66 (2008), by Karen Traviss (19 BBY) (A)
    • Star Wars Imperial Commando: 501st (2009), by Karen Traviss (19 BBY) (A)
    Clone Wars Series
    Star Wars: Kenobi
    • Star Wars: Kenobi (2013), by John Jackson Miller (19 BBY)
    Coruscant Nights
    The Han Solo Trilogy
    The Adventures of Lando Calrissian
    The Force Unleashed
    Shadow Games
    Hand of Judgment
    Star Wars Galaxies
    Empire and Rebellion
    • Empire and Rebellion: Razor's Edge (September 2013), by Martha Wells (2 ABY) (A)
    • Empire and Rebellion: Honor Among Thieves (March 2014), by James S. A. Corey (2-3 ABY) (A)
    The Bounty Hunter Wars
    The Truce at Bakura
    Jedi Prince
    The Glove of Darth Vader (1992), by Paul & Hollace Davids (5 ABY) (Y)
    Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor
    X-wing
    Tatooine Ghost
    The Jedi Academy Trilogy
    I, Jedi
    The Callista Trilogy
    The New Rebellion
    The Corellian Trilogy
    Survivor's Quest
    The New Jedi Order
    The Dark Nest Trilogy
    Legacy of the Force
    Fate of the Jedi
    Short story anthologies
    · Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith: The Collected Stories (2009–2012), by John Jackson Miller (A)

2. Darth Lupine

Darth Lupine Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 14, 2013
    Darth Bane ftw.

3. jedimika

jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep star 4

Apr 2, 2008
    The Darth Bane series is very good.
    I think Kenobi would be a great read, nice stand alone, very well done. Of course I'm down with the new Han Solo book. Isn't there a Luke book coming out by Kevin Hearne? I'm a big fan of his 'Iron Druid" series so I hope he makes a good transition to Star Wars. Maybe another classic stand alone Xwing book? Maybe we'll see an adult targeted book based on the new Rebels cartoon in 2014?

4. Lord_Zannah

Lord_Zannah Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    >Cough< Darth Bane series. o_O After that ... anything S.W.

Thank you for that incredible list up top my Jammies! You are the man! [:D]

5. VoxDeamonicus

VoxDeamonicus Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2010
    how about star wars cooking books? we could try the recipes, have a get together, each bring a dish, eat and compare?

6. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    I really like that idea, maybe not for book club but for a get together.

7. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Would we want to read all 3 Bane books, or just the first one?

Do we even want to try to venture into the larger arcs like New Jedi Order, Fate of the Jedi, or Legacy of the Force?

Kenobi is a lock for 2014, maybe by when the paperback hits. It is one of the best Star Wars books ever.

The only Classic-era (or, era before Dar was born) book we have left to read would be the Lando Adventures.

Anyone else think it would be fun to read the Glove of Darth Vader? It is a young adult book, but it is 11-11's favorite.

Anyone have any ideas?

8. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Going through the list again I'm thinking I, Jedi might be a good selection. It's not my favorite but it's a stand alone, by a good author and Corran Horn is a good character and we get to see his unconventional path to becoming a jedi.

9. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Yeah. I was wondering if we would want to read the Kevin J Anderson trilogy, and then next time read I Jedi. My thought is they both cover the same story-- but from a different perspective. It would be at least a neat exercise in point of view; and how one author was able to shoe horn his charictor (stang, I can't spell that word) into another authors work. It would also be a lot of Kevin J Anderson though.

Yes, I Jedi is a good candidate. I agree. Maybe just have extra credit points for those who want to read the Jedi Academy trilogy?

10. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Man, 2014 is coming fast..........
    I had thought Darth Maul would be good, but 10 days may not be long enough to read a book (but, I read Death Troopers in one sitting and this is by the same guy)
    I am seeing a lot of Darth Bane votes, so that is a lock.
    Kenobi, best book of 2013, is in paperback in july, so that would be a good August pick.
    So that leaves 3 more:
    a Bantam stand alone?
    the Han or Leia book from the Rebellion series?
    a coloring book?

11. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Yeah, something from the new Rebellion series would be good. Looking through the list again I wouldn't mind an AC Crispin Han book, doesn't have to be the whole trilogy.

12. Darth Lupine

Darth Lupine Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 14, 2013
    Darth Bane. All of them, they're awesome.

13. 11-11

11-11 Jedi Master star 2

Jul 17, 2007
    I think the Jedi Prince books should be an alternate for the Darth Maul month ;)
    And I still vote for The New Rebellion by Rusch.

14. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Okay, here is my plan so far; some voting and some edicts:

Feb: Darth Maul Lockdown (new joe shriber book, fast read which is good as it is released close to the meeting date)

April: a vote from some Bantam-Era books listed in posts from the gang

June: a vote from the two books in the new Empire and Rebellion series: Leia-Razor's Edge (hardcover and paperback), or Han Solo-Honor Among Thieves (Hard Back)

Aug: Kenobi (paperback and hardback)-- best SW book of 2013!

Oct: Darth Bane: Path of Destruction AND the Comic Jedi v. Sith (bonus points for reading the entire Bane Trilogy)

Dec: WILDCARD! I can post some Bantam-Era books, however if anyone wants to lead December's discussion in my absence, and has book/topic, we will put it to a vote. Ms. Jammies and I will send a post card. :cool:

Sorry for the flurry of posts, as well as micro-managing some months, but I'd like to have a schedule to give to Barnes and Noble soon-ish.
    -Jammies

15. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    You're not going to be there in December? Why? Where will you be? <cough cough>

16. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Need a cough drop? [face_batting]

Missis Jammies and I will be, unavailable.

17. Lord_Zannah

Lord_Zannah Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    Hmmmmmmmmmm..... =D=

Well, In the mean time, need to get on a new book club dates chart. ;)