main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Awards 2014 Fanfic Awards After Survey!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Mar 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Hey Guys. We just wanted to thank everyone (again) for a great awards. We just wanted some quick feedback for when we do them next year. Feel free to post answers below.

This is a simply like/did not like survey. Just put whether you liked or did not like the aspect of these awards. Why’s(/alternative suggestions if you did not like) for your answers are not needed, but they are appreciated.

1) MODs running awards

2) Before/Saga combined with Beyond on its own

3) The categories we had this year

4) The awards running for ~6 days with 2 categories announced each day

5) Caps on how many awards a person could win

6) Prizes for winners

Any other comments/criticisms/suggestions are welcome.

2. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I liked the mods running the show. I like how the eras were separated in Beyond and Before/Saga. I also like the categories you had. I was impatient with waiting for 6 days for the results. I thought it should have been around three days.

Caps on how many awards a person could win--I understand why it was restricted, but I don't like it. I think a person should be able to be nominated for more than three categories, but I think maybe the restriction should be on the number of categories a specific story can be nominated in. This way if you have a person who wrote a bunch of stories that were nominated they can be represented. But let's say one author wrote the BEST STORY EVER…then make it so the author has to pick which three categories that particular story can be nominated in. This way you don't have one story winning all the awards, but at the same time you are not penalizing a prolific writer who may be nominated for five stories in five different categories. I think we should encourage people to write more.

I like the prizes for the winners. It makes it a little more exciting than just the colors.

Overall I think this was a very enjoyable awards. I liked it better than the drawn out all night awards ceremonies of the past.

ginchy likes this.
  3. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    1) MODs running awards
    like - I thought the mods did an excellent job!

2) Before/Saga combined with Beyond on its own

3) The categories we had this year
    I like the number of categories, but I think the selection of categories could use some refining. For example, I don't think we need Best Crossover because there are very few crossovers written and those crossovers could be nominated for a different award. Also, I think there are some redundancies - Best AU/Canon, Best All-Around, and Best Epic could all be the same story. In a way it seems like they actually should be the same story - if a story is the Best All-Around, doesn't it follow that it must be the Best AU or Best Canon (whichever it qualifies for)? I guess it could depend on how the categories are defined, but they aren't defined. Eliminating redundant categories could also help with the issue of the same story being nominated over and over again.

4) The awards running for ~6 days with 2 categories announced each day
    like - I like the awards announcements short and sweet

5) Caps on how many awards a person could win
    like, though, as stated above, it might be better to adjust the categories to discourage overlap in qualification for the various categories so caps wouldn't be necessary.

6) Prizes for winners
    dislike - prizes seem unnecessary to me. Though I was hoping there would be a badge created that winners could stick on their stories to indicate a win (and maybe one for nominations also).

Overall I think the awards were great! I do wish there was a better way to handle nominations. As it is, noms are so dependent on people's memories it is very easy for great stories to fall through the cracks, and there is a big advantage to posting a story right at the end of the awards window. Unfortunately, I don't know of a solution, I'm sure there are too many stories to catalog them all. All I can think of is to have awards more frequently, but I'm not sure if that is practical.

4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Mods running the awards: Like that. Excellently done.

Categories: I agree with perhaps eliminating best cross-over & putting that somewhere else. [face_thinking] I would add a category: Best Romance and/or Drama. ;)

How results were presented: Perhaps 3 categories a day instead of two.

Caps: I agree this should be restricted to story not necessarily the author. @};-

Prizes: I think participating in giving prizes, beyond just giving colors, is an awesome idea.

5. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    I thought of another idea that might be interesting to try for the next awards - multiple winners for each category (actually wouldn't be too different from this awards since there were so many ties). It could either be for every award or just for certain awards like overall Best Story. The winners could be ranked (1st, 2nd, 3rd place) or not (top 3, without placings). This might help get recognition to more stories, without the risk of one story dominating everything. Just a thought.

6. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005

I agree with Jedi_Lover. I thought these Awards were very enjoyable and laid back.

Nyota's Heart likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.