main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena FIA Formula 1 Racing

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 31, 2013.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Imagine the difference in trajectory of Massa's career, had he gotten a championship.

2. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    The accident ruined his career, he was never the same.

3. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Yay!

Esteban Gutierrez gets a second season!

[face_dancing]

4. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Poor Ensign Chekov though...

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  5. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    If he can't get his superlicence (no idea if that was the case), then he doesn't deserve to be in Starfleet!

As an aside, the other Russian, Kyvat, goes off to Italy(?), drives round a track really fast and racks up enough laps and distance to get his superlicence. Seems a really simple process.

Therefore, and this is an honest question using barely recalled information, what was the big ******* deal why Sebastien Loeb couldn't get a superlicence when Ferarri were willing to move the seven time WRC champion over to Formula One?

6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I'm not sure that's a great thing, because Paul di Resta was up for that seat. :(

7. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Neither Force India driver impinged on my radar this year, apart from Sutil blocking Lewis at one race; while I was pleased with Gutierrez' six points in his rookie season.

Meanwhile, Paul has been trying to leave Force India for two years; add that to his criticisms of his team this season, it probably did not lend itself to loyalty to him from their side this time.

8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Guetierrez is on the grid because he brought Telmex money to Sauber; given their financial woes that's arguably why he remains at the team. Six points at the tail end of the season is nice but Bottas was far more impressive in worse machinery as a rookie; and di Resta scored way more points in his rookie season.

9. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    My take - Gutierrez was moved like a chess piece onto the grid, because Telmex money was only forthcoming as long as there was a Mexican driver racing, and Sergio was off to McLaren.

So, pushed into the limelight a year earlier than Esteban and Sauber planned, I think the lad acquitted himself reasonably well, and I'm all for him getting a second season.

I'm basing this on personal impressions over the season. In terms of stats, points, and other quantifiable elements, you can argue that Paul and Bottas (not sure why you have introduced him into the equation) are more deserving than the Mexican, but from my end, I am happy to see Esteban to get a second bite of the cherry.

Di Resta vs Sutil, I was quite eager for a positive outcome for the Scot. But outside of that, I have no regard for him outside of noticing his personal sponsor is a company I once invested with.

10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
  11. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    been all over the news in Germany, but very little real info. Does not sound good, in any event.

12. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Worrying news.

13. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Very distressing news. There's a press conference scheduled for 11:00 AM local time, which is four and a half hours from now. I'm very nervous.

14. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    The last news report on he radio just gave a few more details, which do not sound good. He was skiing in an unmarked area, wearing a helmet, when he fell and an unprotected part of his head hit a rock. He was conscious and responsive when emergency personnel arrived, but slipped intoa coma while en route to the hosptal. After initially being taken to a local hospital, he was transferred to a larger one with a more advanced neurology department. They had to operate to alleviate pressure on the brain caused by bleeding. At the moment, his injuies are life threatening. The medical team are expected to give an update at 11:00 CET.

15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Christ, that's not good at all.

16. Condition2SQ

Sep 5, 2012
    Bild.de is reporting he underwent a second emergency surgery hours ago. Press conference in roughly an hour.

This is not sounding good.

17. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    At the press conference they could not confirm the second surgery. Also, he was skiing very fast and would be dead if he weren't wearing a helmet. His condition is "extraordinarily serious".

I'm having a bit of a flashback to my accident last spring, my wife insisted they do a CT scan to rule out any bleeding. Kind of thing that can be overlooked at first. Luckily everything was cear in my case.

18. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Dreadful news. Let's hope he'll be OK, but it really doesn't sound good.

19. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    All in all maybe he'd have been better off if he hadn't been wearing a helmet.

20. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    If he'd had it off, he'd almost certainly be dead now. See what happened to Sonny Bono and Natasha Richardson.

21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Well neither of those two were in the same level of physical condition as MSC so we'll see, Juliet.

I remember well his pole lap at Monaco last year (2012) where he was changing brake balance through piscine. The guy is a damn legend; this can't keep him down.

22. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000

I think that's what was yankee was saying. As an adrenaline junkie, he rather be dead than a 'vegetable'

23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    True. That's why I was annoyed that people were so mopey about Paul Walker; if you're a real racer, if you love racing, you accept there's a level of risk and you almost want it to be death or unscathed. Being vegetative is worse than death for them.

24. Condition2SQ

Sep 5, 2012
  25. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Precisely.

I should point out that I'm an avid skier and always wear one. But I don't think you have to be an adrenaline junkie to prefer a quick death to being a vegetable.