main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena FIA Formula 1 Racing

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 31, 2013.

1. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001

Nor will Massa. Though famously he did think he'd got it for about 30 seconds in 2008! [face_laugh]

2. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005

5 minutes if you were watching Austrian TV.

3. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Just to cheer the thread up a bit. :cool:

4. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    What do we thin to "standing starts" after safety car interludes next year then?

5. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Give me the cliff notes version

6. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    From formula1.com:
    Very interesting. On one hand, standing starts are more exciting and can produce a lot of overtaking, but on the other hand they are more dangerous and have the potential for more chaos. I do like that they will not be used in the case of SCs in quick succession (reducing the "cautions breed cautions" factor often found in NASCAR and IndyCar) and not near the end of the race (where they are too much of a wild card and the race could be instantly lost with a simple bad start because you won't have time to make up more than a few positions). I'll reserve my overall judgment until I see it in use.

7. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    I think that once the safety car is deployed, a light flashes in each car giving them ten seconds to come to a complete halt. Then a standing start from there :p

jcgoble3 likes this.
  8. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Stupid, frankly.

9. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I think it certainly take's the advantage away from the leader.

This will make the race more exciting, but isn't really fair.

Why should Rosberg or Vettel or Hamilton or Alonso etc... Have their race totally ruined because Paydriver or Perez shouldn't be on the grid and can't drive without causing an accident?[face_thinking]

10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Remember Monaco 2010?

halibut likes this.
  11. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Safety Car already ruins races. A 20-second lead reduced to nothing with one incident. I agree, this makes the race more "exciting", but the best way to make the race more exciting is to get rid of the ridiculous "no-refuelling" rule.

This smacks of pig-headedness.

"Ok, so the rules we've changed have made races dull and people are switching off. What can we do?"
    "We could acknowledge that we ****ed it up and put it back the way it was"
    "Don't be stupid. I know, let's double the points for the last race making the whole new points system totally meaningless"
    "Ooh yes, that will work"
    "Hang on, people are still not watching"
    "How about we restart the race halfway through, so that you get 2 races for the price of 1"
    "Brilliant. We'll do that!"
    "But, that means the first half of the race will be meaningless"
    "Oh, shush you. No one will notice"

12. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001

Not really. I'll head off to Wiki and have a look. Hang on sec...

13. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001

Agree the safety car is already ruining things for the leader to some degree (big lead eroded, etc...) But at least the leader still has the advantage with a rolling start in-that the leader effectively set's the pace when the safety car pulls off.

A standing start will make things MUCH more of a lottery as to whether the leader retains his lead, IMO.

14. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    I agree. Read the rest of my post you quoted :p

15. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001

At least four safety car's?

So that would be five standing starts! Crazy!8-}

16. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001

I do agree with your post!

So generally it's a Thumbs Down from the JC? Well, me you and Ender - And let's face it, We Are The Jedi Council![face_laugh]

17. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
  18. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    I don't pretend to know the ins and outs of all the rule changes. I'm not a die-hard fan by any stretch. But the no-refuelling thing is just ridiculous. It takes away all the tactics. If FIA want pure racing, then just watch bloody NASCAR. They made a massive balls up there and now they are seeing the consequences.

G-FETT likes this.
  19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I'll believe the story about Button when I read it from a reputable source - Autosport, Andrew Benson at the BBC or Joe Saward's blog.

i.e. Joe's just suggested Lotus F1 will look to move to the Merc power train for 2015, to replace McLaren there.

Button's points haul relative to Magnussen has to be taken into context, i.e. they've had a terrible car and been scrapping for places 5-10. Button's 4th in Canada, therefore, is quite remarkable.

As for Monaco 2010, Mark Webber never lost control of the race with those 4 safety cars, and consistently built a huge lead as a result. It doesn't really ruin a race, but can.

As for refuelling - the point of the new formula, a point the FIA has been awful at promoting but Mercedes haven't, is that it's efficient. Fuel, remember, has a variable density based on how hot or cold it runs, i.e. the turbo's cooling system could cool the fuel and alter it's density etc. If you're pumping new fuel in mid race, you potentially ruin the point of the fuel flow meters and of benefiting from higher efficiency ratings as you go.

Plus in these days of 2 second pitstops, I see a number of fiery infernos resulting from a return to refuelling.

Strategy, though, it's absolutely still present. The whole point of the first round of stops is to try and a) undercut someone and b) get your car back out after a stop into a gap where they're not in the turbulent air of the car in front. I'll often check the standings and pace of the pack in the Codemasters games before deciding if I pit a lap earlier or later than recommended for that reason alone.

G-FETT, jcgoble3 and heels1785 like this.
  20. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Button's points haul relative to Magnussen has to be taken into context, i.e. they've had a terrible car and been scrapping for places 5-10. Button's 4th in Canada, therefore, is quite remarkable.

Is that Button's best position, this year? Because I have a feeling Magnussen's in Australia betters it. Just a potential observation, if we're scrabbling for reasons as to why Jenson has been better this year.

The article on James Allen's site has Button getting the same sort of message from Ron Dennis as Vettel got from Helmut Marko - essentially, "up your game". To my knowledge, any suggestion that Jenson is on his way out, is fan interpretation, rather than any hard and fast situation. Fact is, it is difficult to put a positive spin on his chances for a 2015 run, outside of his history and connections with Japanese motorsport / girlfriend / audiences.

Formula E launched last night.

21. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Who did Massa blame today's crash on?

G-FETT likes this.
  22. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    ^ You got in before me!

Perez, dammit, stop making Massa crash!

23. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    What a crazy end to qualifying. Lol @ Hamilton

24. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Agreed. Ah, Lewis, why did you abandon the lap? This could definitely be a season-defining moment.

Unexpected surprise seeing Hulkenberg, Vettel, then Button jumping up into provisional poles in the remaining seconds. Nice work, Rosberg.

Still, a lot of cars out of position, losing Ferarris and Williams in Quali One.

25. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Lewis blew that![face_shame_on_you]

He'll need a good start and some rain interruptions tomorrow if he's to get the win, IMO.