main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2014 Fitness Goals

Discussion in 'Community' started by Souderwan, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    I quit soda a couple years ago and don't miss it one bit.

2. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Drink coke like it's a problem. Because it is. At this point, I've stopped drinking soda at home in favor of zero calorie iced tea, which is always depressing.... I've cut soda out entirely in the past, and my quality of life drops like a rock.

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Now I don't have to get rid of pop, but in a few years...:(

CloneUncleOwen likes this.
  4. thebadge

thebadge Jedi Master star 4

Mar 15, 2002

That is fantastic mixing it up like that brings killer results. Im just not a runner even when I was young and in great shape a 5 mile run was utter hell
    for me and I was running a lot slower than you 2 clicks at 9.0 is awesome.

Do you run a 3 day split with one off? Or 5 with 2 off? If not how do you structure an average week?

One thing I did for a few years and hated was working out early in the morning, I envy you on that.

Maybe you are really Lolo Jones, seriously you sound shredded plus you are in that place that is very hard
    to get, dying to get to the gym. Bravo to you Ive been there and its awesome! letting it all go especially when you are
    old like me is the worst so just continue to kick-ass sounds like you got it in your DNA.(47) is my age I just fessed up to that, no excuses though I'm gonna suffer till July and shoot for the top 10 in my age group in the open ocean swim.

5. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    thebadge

I get bored of workouts easily (the only exception being running), so I have to mix it up to stay motivated. Dance is one of the things that I have been able to stick to as long as it's not the same class every workout (I aim for 3 days a week of dance).

I try to go for 6/1, but I switch up the length and type of workout to avoid overdoing it. I also really listen to my body. I can always tell the difference between "I can make it 5 more minutes, but it'll be difficult" and "it's 5 minutes I can make, but it's going to end badly." So, I will take it as it comes and vary it every week depending on how I feel.

I'm definitely not 'shredded', but I'm pretty lean. I look a lot weaker than I am. :p

Good luck with that open ocean swim! You sound ready to give it your all. 47 isn't that old at all. ;)

Jedi_Matt, Juliet316 and Souderwan like this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    thebadge : My Mom is 61 and does half-marathons and ten-milers with her sister, who just turned 60. Their picture on Facebook after placing in their age group said "not bad for a couple of grandmothers".

We are still young. :D (I'm 42.)

Admiral Volshe and Souderwan like this.
  7. thebadge

Mar 15, 2002
    Yes 6/1 is where I hope to be again, I had a hunch you might say that.

As for the open ocean swim, I'm a swimmer so if my weight is right

and I get up to 6,000 meters a day in the pool I will be fine.

The rules are strict though no wetsuits, just goggles and about 63 F water

you have to embrace the numbness and swim mechanically its the only

race I have ever worn a watch for keep the brain busy with time checks

if you think you will not be numb within 15 minutes think again.

8. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    7.1 miles in 1 hour 2 minutes and 45 seconds - it felt fairly comfortable too, not like last time. I think I paced myself much better, and it meant that not only did my run feel less strenuous, my overall time was faster. Not having run since Monday probably helped as well.

9. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    It's starting to warm up a little. I'm going to try running outside tomorrow.

Souderwan likes this.
  10. thebadge

Mar 15, 2002

Motivation which I am trying to hang on, has been given a huge boost by your posts.
    So THANK YOU for your really great positive posts :)

Souderwan and Admiral Volshe like this.
  11. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    A friend of mine got foreclosed on, so my wife and I offered him our nursery for him and his little girl to stay in until he gets back on his feet. That said, having a good friend moving in has distracted me from my fitness goals, as we've been hanging and eating junk.

I'm hoping to make up for it next week by being stricter on myself, especially in regards to dieting. This is my biggest problem, as marriage/fatherhood completely destroyed my sense of self restraint concerning food. I used to have a very strict diet during my college years, but with life having become so busy, I'm clearly resorting to gluttony as a means of cheering myself up.

12. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014

Strength is far more about neural adaptation than muscle size. Developing the ability to recruit more motor units and to generate tension throughout the body leads to way better strength gains than building muscle.

Badge - how far is your swim? Have you done open-water events before?

13. thebadge

Mar 15, 2002

Other than going to College in Madison I'm a SoCal local so Ive been swimming in the Pacific since I was 5.
    I've done this SWIM like 10 times but its been about 10 years since of done it, I'm 47 and out of shape Its 2.2 miles from Pier to Pier and back.
    At about 4000 meters 5X a week. I swam club from 6 till 17 then 4 years on scoli at UW so at 22 I was pretty sick of 10,000 meters 5X a day
    Ive always lifted though and the gym has a lap pool so sort of cheating with 2500 yards maybe 4X a week plus getting old and lets say that
    I looked pretty good at 6'0 185 but not much at 235 losing 35 lbs is a MUST. Could I go out and do it tomorrow=yes but not remotely with any speed
    Oh and I was a da** sprinter 50, 100 free 100 fly and relays but I didn't swim the 1500 like skinny-ass awesome Janet Evans so its gonna really hurt
    the old man but its my first goal in well since my divorce in 2009 sigh, thats all I got for now

You guys are great :)

Jedi_Matt likes this.
  14. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    Dude, you'll smash it. The body never forgets... with a background like that you'll be swimming like a dolphin in no time. And 47 means nada... I know a bunch of athletes in their 50s who are still kicking all kinds of butt. Good luck torching through the 35lbs dead weight!

15. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Solid weekend, logged 14 miles between walking and running, a few more biking. Weekdays are much more challenging that weekends, hard to get motivated after work sometimes.

16. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Went for a shorter but quicker tempo today on the track.

Juliet316 and Souderwan like this.
  17. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    Starting Zumba tonight!

Mobile sock of s65horsey

18. thebadge

Mar 15, 2002

THANX that 35 has gotta go, I need to feel good about myself again Ive had a bad run for about 5 years so the cold and pain are so worth
    it if I am true to my goals and don't cheat on workouts. The Olympics are coming at the perfect time for me I understand the hard work for years
    they put in if I can finish on my terms I know it will bring me back kicking and screaming to enjoy life.

19. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Flew into town (Miami) at midnight. My sister then drags me to a 6:00 am spin class. I could really go for a nap about now.

heels1785 and Souderwan like this.
  20. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    Sorry I haven't been posting as much as I'd like. It's been great reading about all your hard work, though! Anyway, I forgot to post my report from January.

I'm overall really happy with progress. The weather really put a damper on the running in January, but I managed to get a bunch of runs in anyway where I could. Had to resort to the treadmill a bunch, but the bottom line is I got 65 km in, which is 10k above my monthly target. I also did really well on the goal for eating meals prepared from base ingredients, having done 56 of those. And finally, I did manage to learn one new WCS dance pattern and used it in a social setting.

So good month!

21. thebadge

Mar 15, 2002
    Thats kicking a** awesome work you probably enjoy the way the body feels when you get to a plain, once you recover quick you are there!

22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I had a physical this morning. My weight loss means my blood pressure is down, although not quite enough to come off meds.

Still...progress.

Jedi_Matt, Juliet316 and Souderwan like this.
  23. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    Stick with it. Good food and exercise are the best medicine.

Training at home today & tomorrow - kettlebell TGUs and swings.

Anyone else doing the Ido Portal 30/30 squat challenge? This is day 8 for me now - mobility definitely improved.

24. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    That's awesome! Keep up the great work!

Not this one, but I do like seeing them. I'd love it if you post links to your challenges and encourage us to do them with you. Could be fun!

I'm thinking of doing 30 Day Plank challenge and 30 Day Pushup Challenge in March, if anyone's interested. I'll probably scale up my pushup challenge by 50%.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  25. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm up for the plank challenge now! I will up that one for sure, I'm on 1:30 planks currently.
    I was thinking of doing some of those starting Sunday, I really want to build my upper body and core strength. Because I have a previous hip injury (it's weak now), I can only do the vigorous strength classes once a week. I have a workout but it's gotten to the point where it's too easy. It's a weird place to be in.

Two hour-long dance classes today - I am feeling good. :D

Souderwan likes this.