main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2014 Fitness Goals

Discussion in 'Community' started by Souderwan, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    I Are The Internets - Same scales, same place, same time of day? Pre or post workout?

Also... I had weigh-in today (my last post was talking about last week's weigh-in) and I've dropped to 14 st 13 lbs. 2 more pounds and I've hit the 2 stone mark for the year.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My BMI is now at 20. [face_dancing]

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Just a random weigh in actually.

4. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    Then it's probably nothing to worry about at this stage, just keep an eye on it!

5. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    That is really awesome! I just wish I could get mine to tell me I am at a healthy weight.
    Mine is 26.

6. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    A nice run in the rain today.

Runjedirun likes this.
  7. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    Yeah...so BMI and I will never be friends. At my height, I need to weigh 160 lbs to avoid the dreaded "overweight" category and if I managed to make it to 200 lbs, I'd still be in the "obese" category with a BMI of 30. When I graduated boot camp in 1995 at my most physically fit that I would be for several years, I weight in at 205 lbs. I'll consider it a major success if I can get myself back to under 210. :p

On the upside, my situps and pushups challenge is going great! I did 90 situps* in under 2 mins and 50 pushups. Then I did some interval training this morning. I'm kind of excited about the prospect of breaking 100 situps in the near future! :)

*I know situps are not a particularly good exercise to do, but the Navy requires I do them for our bi-annual fitness assessment so it made sense to practice them before my test in May.

8. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    A strong core is essential. Sit-ups are important in my book.

I am in Aww of you being able to do 50 push-ups Souderwan ^:)^

I can and have gotten my BMI to just barely below an "acceptable weight". I just have to work ridiculously hard to get there. Frustrated right now, but I'm not a quitter.

Souderwan likes this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm thinking you all are probably muscular as hell. And I'm, well, not.

I should probably add some weight training in.

10. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    I've got a fairly muscular build but make no mistake about it, I'm a fat bastard.

slightly_unhinged likes this.
  11. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    So you eat baby meat? The other other white meat?

Jedi_Matt and Souderwan like this.
  12. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    My BMI is right now at 22.5, which is normal. However, I tend to gain weight easily (thanks, dad :p) and I have to work out regularly just to keep it the way it is. It would require a lot of effort and calorie restriction for me to even reach a BMI of 20, which probably means my current weight is close to my ideal weight because it is more or less easy to maintain.

Jedi_Matt and Runjedirun like this.
  13. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Muscular? A little, spare tire...more likely ;)

5 miles with the baby jogger this evening. Only a few short recovery jogs away from my half marathon on Sunday :)

14. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    This week's lesson: a single serving of Girl Scout cookies sucks

Runjedirun, s65horsey and Souderwan like this.
  15. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    [:D]

I don't even want to know what my BMI is. Lost some weight while having the flu. Still forceably eating right now (on orders from my doctor brother) but really I am not hungry and nothing sounds or tastes good.

16. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    Do any of you use a fitness tracking device (FitBit, Nike Fuelband, etc.)? I'm looking into Fitbit, but would love to hear thoughts if others have tried that or another brand.

17. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    I don't use any, but I'm a part of a facebook fitness group and a lot of them use FitBit. Not that it should make any difference, but the ones who have mentioned using it are all women. They absolutely love it and swear by it. I've been debating a FitBit myself but haven't gotten around to getting one.

Ouch. :( Sorry, hon. Hope you feel better soon! [:D]

18. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Running in wet clothes is not fun. Ugh.

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Four and a half miles today.

And bloody hell, it's hot. (85 degrees). Debating whether to do dawn or dusk runs this summer.

Plus my air conditioner needs a new compressor so I'm not cooling off as quickly as I'd like.

But I think I'm ready for the 5K I'm doing Mother's Day.

Runjedirun, Juliet316 and Souderwan like this.
  20. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I have a fitbit and I love it! (Though I'll admit, mostly so I can prove I walk my butt off at work, usually 6-7 miles in a 12 hour shift, almost 9 miles one time. ;) )

My roommate got his in September and had lost over 50 lbs as of March because he never goes a day without getting his steps and has increased the amount he needs per day. I like how it keeps you accountable if you have friends on it, because you can see that they are walking so much more than you, but you don't have to do that if you don't want to.

What I like about fitness trackers like the fitbit is when I see I only need, for example, two more floors of stairs to get to 20 , I do them and then think, what's 5 more to get to 25. I feel like it pushes you to always go a little further.

Souderwan likes this.
  21. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
  22. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    So, the next hurdle to cross is to use the strength equipment at the gym. I've been good so far about going, and getting in a good, sweaty workout. But every time it's been on a cardio machine. Yes, that's good for me, but I know I need the strength stuff, too.

Anyone got tips to motivate me and/or get past my fears/intimidation?

23. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    Bravo! When I run my first sub-9 min mile, I'll make sure to think of the fact that you did that for 13 straight miles. And I'll be impressed yet again!

DarthIntegral, I'd start small. Do like two exercise. I started with shoulder shrugs and bicep curls as a run (I'm sure there's a better name for this) when I first started. I'd start with a heavy weight, and do 8 reps. Then drop down and do 8 reps with a weight 5 lbs lighter. And rinse and repeat. All in all, you're done in like 5 mins with both exercises. And you're worn out.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  24. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Have you used the equipment before? If not I'd suggest getting someone to teach you how to use it. I am far less intimidated when I've had someone walk me through the steps of doing something.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  25. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Souderwan ... good advice. Sometimes I feel like I need to be able to jump in and eat the entire elephant in one bite.

s65horsey ... that's part of the problem. I don't want to have to ask for instructions! :p

Souderwan likes this.