main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2014 Fitness Goals

Discussion in 'Community' started by Souderwan, Dec 31, 2013.

1. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Runjedirun likes this.
  2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    You want the impossible

s65horsey likes this.
  3. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002

No-one got hurt asking instructions (as far as I know :p). It would be best to as just a small difference in form can be the difference between an injury or maximised results.

DarthWilliams - I've not got a smartwatch or anything, I run with my iPhone and use the Runtastic app (or sometimes MapMyRun).

Runjedirun - WTG with your half marathon, are you doing the second one as well? That'd be some recovery power if you do :).

Weigh-in today, ate crap / carbs pretty much all weekend... scared [face_nail_biting]

I am finding it hard to get motivated to go running... I need to go tonight. I can say I need to go, but I can't say I want to go lol. Therein lies my problem 8-}

4. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Here's my two cents on the fit bit. I've never owned one and I'm actually a little afraid of owning one. Each summer the company I work for gives us all pedometers and challenges us to walk 10,000 steps a day. We are also put on teams of 7 and all the teams compete to see who gets the most steps. Two summers ago I was averaging just over 24,000 steps a day. I was running an hour each morning and swimming an hour each evening (because they allow you to convert each lap to a certain number of steps) and of course walking every minute I could. I am very competitive in nature and I don't know when to stop. Last summer I was pregnant so I could only walk, but not a day went by that I didn't get 10,000 steps. This contest starts up again in a month. I don't have the time to swim with a child under a year old. I know I'm going to want to strive for that 25,000 a day again.

So yea, wearing something like that motivates me. I did have people on my team that either weren't motivated or who rarely reached the minimum of 10,000.

And yes Jedi_Matt I am running another 1/2 this Sunday. It'll be mostly a rest week.

Jedi_Matt likes this.
  5. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    15 min walk, then 45 min run and another 15 walking with my son in the stroller.
    I forgot my running watch so I have no idea what my pace was but it was leisurely.

I need to check out the tiny gym in my new building. It can't cost much because it looks like kind you'd see in a small hotel.

Juliet316 likes this.
  6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Another lovely run in the rain.

7. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    I don't use a fitbit, but I track my runs with Endomondo and my eating habits/weight with MyFitnessPal via my iPhone. I initially used Nike Run but Endomondo can help you track other things like cycling, skiing, elliptical training,and of course, walking; and they keep adding activities so it's really flexible. I got both of these apps synced so whenever I track activities with Endomondo, MyFitnessPal automatically enters calories burned and adjusts the goals, like changing the amount of protein and sugar you need in that day. It's working out well so far.

8. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    My legs feel sore, nothing like marathon sore I can go up and down stairs without a problem. Weather will most likely dictate if I run this evening. Light to moderate rain I'll probably do 2-3 miles. Thunder/heavy rain will mean I stay in and ride my exercise bike. Yesterday was mostly a yoga day. This morning I did 2 10 minute workout dvd's that are incredibly easy. I just wanted to do something. Problem with racing long distance is it takes a few days to recover before you can workout again.

Juliet316 and Souderwan like this.
  9. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    I would certainly imagine so. Running for nearly 2 hours straight definitely takes a toll on the body.

In personal news, my challenge is going pretty strong. 95 situps and 60 pushups yesterday! Today, I'm shooting for 100 situps and 65 pushups (2 min time limit for each). Should be fun.

10. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I am proud to report that a few weeks ago my wife bought us a jogging stroller for the kids. Since then, I've returned to my old routine of running 5-6 days a week. I feel great and while I haven't yet noticed any strong results in my waistline, my face is starting to look slimmer :p

Still, I prefer running without the jogging stroller, but it's better than nothing. On some days I'm able to just go for a run with the baby in it, and while he puts up a fight to get in, once we start moving, he's completely agreeable. But on those days that I have to bring both kids, my daughter always insists on coming out of the stroller at some point, thereby reducing my intended run into a leisurely walk around the neighborhood (which I suppose is still better than nothing).

Either way, it's a substantial improvement.

Also, what the hell is with jogging strollers and their inability to properly go backwards? It's like you can only roll the damn thing forward (which is fine for running, but not very practical all the time when getting out of the house, maneuvering around objects, etc).

Jedi_Matt, Souderwan and Runjedirun like this.
  11. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Jogging strollers are awesome!!!!

Well they are awesome when your kid is a sleep or happy to be in there and they are awesome for making you faster because when you run with one a lot and then go run without one you are so much faster!

They are not easy to push, they are heavy and it's awful when you want to run and your baby is crying or your toddler aged kid throws his sippy cup under a fence and you have to climb under it to retrieve it :p

The front wheel of a jogging stroller should lock when it unlocks it's good for walking. Maybe yours is locked. That being said mine doesn't even turn good when it's locked making col-de-sac's a pain in the rear.

That being said it's raining here, been raining since Monday. So I did 2.5 miles by myself last night. Felt really good. I think it's going to be nice Thursday hopefully I can run with my son then.

12. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I've used out standard stroller for jogs with both kids for years. It works fine as long as the pavement is nice and smooth so it has to be on dedicated jogging paths.

You surely get a better overall workout with a stroller (if the kid behaves) vs. just running because you're engaging more muscles.

13. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Well, apparently it's going to snow again which will really screw up my running schedule.

14. thebadge

thebadge Jedi Master star 4

Mar 15, 2002
    Two cool things.
    Im all signed up for my open ocean pier to pier swim this July 4 in Newport Beach CA.
    2.5 miles, Ive grinded my swims to 7500 bruising meters in the Long Course in Mission Viejo-at 47 thats good it was 2500 meters 6 months ago down 50 lbs.
    My doctor who I like a lot finally came clean with me he swam at STANFORD with Mark Spitz....umm Ive been throwing my swimming in his face
    not even knowing this. Yeah doc, I swam club at Industry Hills and 4 Years on a full ride swimming at the University of Wisconsin.
    I just started laughing, Stanford, Med School, Swimming with Mark Spitz. Who gets and IQ and athletic genes all at once and is so damm nice
    and humble. Next month I'm bringing in his sign up form and gonna ask him is he will go for it and do the swim with me. He runs 10K 7X a week and
    probably weighs 150 at 6'1. Yep, he has a Mark Spitz Mustache very humbling and utterly cool.

LO- watch as I get eaten by a 20 foot Great White which happens off Newport 1-2 times a year,
    last year at the wedge I was watching everyone surf and thinking about longboarding late in the day if the waves got smaller. Sure as hell it was the day that 20 footer took out a surfer 30 yards from the shore. His right arm was all they found with about two feet of his board. Scares me all
    the time. Guy was 19 years old, sigh. RIP

Juliet316 , Runjedirun and Jedi_Matt like this.
  15. thebadge

Mar 15, 2002

That is great stuff, you must feel great.
    2 Hours of running kills those joints im too old to run my joints gotta stick to the water, Im lifting on a two day split to add lean muscle for my swim.
    Im only going heavy on lat pull downs, and finally bench well getting back to heavy 315X5 reps after I pyramid up from 135. Gotta take it slow and get in
    six sets on the pyramids or my joints will just not respond. Its freaky hearing your body making cracking noises it didnt make 10 years ago.
    Running is not an option, my feet and knees are just saying no not every gonna happen.

Souderwan likes this.
  16. thebadge

Mar 15, 2002

Christ I am fat down all that weight and Im at 6'0, 210-Last October I hit 290 after being laid out on my Road Bike 3 months in bed, pushing 50
    painkillers, depression weight went up 25 lbs a month for 3 months. I was scared as all hell thinking I was just done. So 225 lbs is a good comeback but can I.......
    I am gonna try to taper starting next week a 2 month process I will cut the lifting in half and work up to 10,000 meters a day in the long course
    pool. Each week for three weeks I will drop a stroke week 1 Butterfly, 2 breast, 3 back. My swim July 4 is all free so all these go out the window.
    June 1 I am gonna shave down for the first time since I was 21. Hopefully another 10 lbs will be off and Im gonna come in at 200 lbs even that day.
    185 is my perfect weight, but I need to be to do it two weeks before the swim or the taper is a failure.
    Im eating only grilled chicken, eggs whites and drinking water. It sucks but It is working.
    The sauna saps to much strength at my age so Ive stopped it.

Souderwan, Runjedirun and Jedi_Matt like this.
  17. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    I just thought it's worth reminding that what you guys are doing is truly great, keep it going.

So, I put a pound on at weigh-in on Monday, I'm now 15 stone on the button. It's not entirely surprising but still disappointing. Seeing as I ate chocolate, biscuits and crisps on Saturday I'm not entirely surprised.

I didn't get to go running on the Monday as my other half has contracted an ear infection. We had to go to the walk-in center to get a prescription for some antibiotics as she couldn't get an appointment with her GP for that day. Cue a 3 and a half hour wait :(.

I had touch rugby again last night and that was good but I am definitely not as fit as I want to be. I need to work harder! I can recommend touch rugby to anyone, it's absolutely perfect interval training and the teams are mixed sex.

I'm planning on using tonight to stretch properly and maybe use my foam roller, then run tomorrow night.

Souderwan likes this.
  18. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    thebadge good luck on your swim coming up in about 2 months! I used to be a swimmer too, but I didn't even keep it up through college. Whenever I get a bad running injury I take to the pool though. I love butterfly you have to work so hard to swim that stroke. I can't stand egg whites, my hats off to you on the diet. I have added fruit to mine finally, but still can not stop eating those blasted "nutrition bars" (luna, zone, anything chocolate :p)

Jedi_Matt I hope your other half is feeling better soon. Don't be discouraged Hope your run goes well tomorrow night.

Had to ride the bike indoors 40 minutes last night. Storms here most of the evening. I don't run outside in lightning storms. Will run this evening, going to be loving the sun we haven't seen it in 4 days. Looks like great weather for my 1/2 marathon this Sunday though. Going to try to beat my time from last week. I hear the course is less hilly so I should hopefully be able to do that.

19. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    On the fitbit: I'm slightly addicted to it. :p It provides quite a bit of accountability to my lazy ass.

Runjedirun, Souderwan and Jedi_Matt like this.
  20. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    This seems to always happen whenever I go for a swim:

Souderwan and slightly_unhinged like this.
  21. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
  22. thebadge

Mar 15, 2002

This thread is the most positive thread on this site.
    All of you always offer great support and its humbling
    and so motivational.
    RJR Your running regimine sounds so darn hard kudos to you.
    DO YOU ride your cycle at home on a resistance stand? Or do you
    use the gym cycles?

Love it that you ride as well I am guessing a roadie?
    I have my 2006 Specialized SWORKS 54CM sloping geometry with Dura Ace Gruppo
    but it sits I am far to heavy to be on it. If I can get where I want for that swim though
    I have a 1984 Colnago 50 Anniversary Reynalds Steel 53 CM with Campagnolo Super Record
    Gruppo, I am a huge TDFrance honk and always watch every stage in July. I would love to
    get back on the bike.

Being older and having a bad back and shoulder from weightlifting (And I mean bad two surgeries)
    I have to come clean that the doc has me on 3 10/325 Norcos a day and says I should be in pain
    management. I know if I go there I will never be able to excercise again for real. They put you on
    really strong addicting stuff and I am suffering but am refusing that bridge. I take SOMA also for my
    muscles to relax them but end up throwing away most of them as they make you sleepy-maybe your
    muscles loosen up but if you are yawning and thinking bed how the heck can you actually excersize?
    I take one before bed and ignore his directions to take one every 8 hours.

Anybody else have issues kinda like this? Sore and tired is different.
    I feel like a druggie and that makes me feel really scummy. I dont tell
    people in my life about it as its humiliating.

Well you guys know I'm cheating to even try to make this swim in a sense.
    I cannot endure the pain any other way, people at the pool say for sure stare at me in between sets and when
    I finish as I usually spend 20-30 minutes laying down when I finish moaning and I guess writhing but the
    alternative is to quit.

Its become personal for me and I am trying to hold on to objectivity but I know I wont stop even if people
    start talking to me. In my mind my goal is to simply finish in the middle of the pack not be near the
    the top in my age group. Ive seem some of the names signed up, big names elite national level swimmers
    they are on a different planet than me. I know quite a few and frankly I want to avoid anything at all
    other than saying hi great swim after its over. Just doing it is winning for me, that is not what I was taught
    when I was a competitive swimmer. Challenge yourself, I have changed and I like that.

If most of you are young you go for it, I am just happy where I am at.

LOL, I can live through all you guys as you get stronger faster and gain endurance! :)

23. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    Where is the 'Like twice' button? thebadge you are awesome.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  24. thebadge

Mar 15, 2002

That is aweful nice of you JMatt, I don't feel awesome but I want to get better.

Its reading about you guys and your workouts and plans that keep me from

quitting. My wife and I spent 22 years together (counting dating), she had an

affair divorced me and took everything I had both financially and emotionally.

Its been a tough 5 years. I still feel lonely all the time, pushing myself to

do something for just me has taken a long time-gods I was close to giving

up in every way. What I am doing is a journey has to bring me back.

Its hard to explain why reading how all of you push yourselves is a way

to remind me to feed off of the positive hard work all you guys do to

get stronger, feel better and achieve goals. I'm learning all over again.

:)

Runjedirun likes this.
  25. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    I sure don't feel young (I'm going to be 36 in just over a month). I had a bad ankle injury in 2012 that kept me from running Boston :( That was so disappointing and very hard to get through. I couldn't run for several months. I could swim though, even did flip turns without any pain to the injury. I can however no longer swim breast stroke, if I do I completely destroy my knee. Used to be my most competitive stroke. Then I was out from Jan - Oct last year because I had my second baby. Totally worth it, wonderful baby, but you still lose a year of your life having one. I couldn't run at all when I was pregnant with this baby. From day one running just wasn't possible with him, with my first I ran the whole pregnancy. Maybe because I was so much younger (5 and 1/2 years between my kids). So getting back into running and running pain free has been so Awesome.

Trying to keep up with yoga and not add too many miles too fast are the hardest parts for me. I want to qualify for Boston again and in order to be that good you probably have to be running at least 50 miles per week for more than 6 months leading up to a marathon. With running distance more is key, but we all have our limits, doing over 55 miles per week usually leads to injury for me no matter how slow I build up. Not sure how I got on this path. But anyway 4 miles with the stroller last night. Might do 2 tonight, I should rest up for Sunday but it's just so nice out it's hard to stop. :p