main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2014 Fitness Goals

Discussion in 'Community' started by Souderwan, Dec 31, 2013.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    You're planning a wedding. You have an excuse.

...until after you get married. :p

Juliet316 likes this.
  2. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    lol. Yeah...need to get in gear before the wedding, though. Can't be a fat ass on wedding day!

Plus. I have a plan to do a 5k on the morning of the wedding. I think that'd be cool.

3. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    Awesome, that way you can stuff your face with wedding cake, guilt-free.

4. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

My iPod touch -as that's what it really is these days- only works with Wi-Fi connection, of which I'm pretty sure I can't get throught the entire length of a walk (no matter which route -I mix & match different ones- I use); those apps wouldn't need a continuous connection, would they not?

5. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    PM me your address, Tunes. I'll send you a fitbit for Christmas.

6. Darth Morella

Apr 5, 2004
    Sorry, I was pretty sure you had an iPhone. This makes things more difficult. Does your iPod touch have a Nike + app? I have an old iPod Nano with Nike+ pre-installed and it's got run and walk options, with the choice to count steps. So, essentially a pedometer, and it doesn't require Wifi. Perhaps you iPod has something like this?

7. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Technically I do, but the phone service has been shutoff since mid-January, thus I've been referring to it as an iPod touch since. And yes, it's got that Nike + app.

8. Darth Morella

Apr 5, 2004
    I see, well, in the meantime may I suggest an old fashioned watch to time your walks? If you know your weight it should be easy to calculate calories burned. :p

9. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    You can time it, then also map out your route using something like GeoDistance or Map Pedometer . They let you calculate distance walked (and elevation IIRC). Then you can convert on another site to find mph/kph, plus calories burned. I use them instead of the apps because I have limited data and am often walking 1 or 2 hours a day. :)

DarthTunick likes this.
  10. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

I always go with my iPod classic in tow -there's no way I could do this without music- , so I time the walks using its clock.

11. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    Tunes, I have the same thing. It's an iPhone without data or phone service, so I just use it like an iPod Touch. But! I learned last year that the GPS is still functional, even if you don't have data, so any apps that use GPS should still work.

I've used Zombies, Run! (Paid, but a fun running app/game), RunKeeper, and MapMyWalk all on that iPhone successfully. Although sometimes the GPS will go a little wacky and log like .5-1 miles more or less than I actually did, not sure if it's the elevation or something where I run, but it sometimes drifts pretty severely.

Anyway, give it a try, even if you don't have wi-fi on your whole route. (Actually turning wi-fi off I think makes the GPS more precise).

Also the calorie/activity tracker idea Morella suggested doesn't need continuous wi-fi either! MyFitnessPal is a really good, free app, and you can enter your activity manually. Just tell it you walked for 20 minutes and it'll estimate the calories you burned (It always underestimates what my heart rate monitor says I burned, but at least you have an idea.)

12. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I'll give the MapMyWalk, MyFitnessPal apps a try... I'd have too much consternation over that zombie one. :p

Souderwan likes this.
  13. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    3.5 miles on the treadmill this morning, the 5k in 25:50.

I've trimmed off a few pounds from my jobless stint but have hit a wall at 160 lbs.

Jedi_Matt, Juliet316 and Souderwan like this.
  14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm back to doing yoga on my running off-days; I had slacked on that. I also learned how to kayak last weekend. It's great exercise and fun even though I can't do it regularly.

15. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    So I've been eating like crap for the whole month and have gained like 3 lbs...

...but, I'm at a wedding party weekend and I totally just said no to cake! So that counts, right?

16. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I've been having a rough time adding mileage. Working full time and having 2 kids does not make it easy to find extra time. I've been trying to get out for a 14 mile run since the middle of May. Today, just now I ran 14 miles!!!!! :)

So many times I thought I couldn't make it and wanted to stop and walk. Keep going I told myself one foot in front of the other. I just ran 13 miles two weeks ago, I have no idea why there was such a loud voice in my mind telling me I couldn't do it.

I managed to quiet enough the voice to finish :) Wonder how loud the voice will be next week when I try to run 15 miles :p

17. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Since last I posted here, my friend and I have been going to a gym regularly and I've been running every day for the past few months. I haven't noticed physical results yet, but I feel great. People at work have commented that I've made visible progress too.

18. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Did half an hour in the treadmill at 5 mph with an incline of 5 the whe time to try and mix things up.

19. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I had to take in 6inches off of my X-wing jumpsuit to make it fit properly. That made me happy. :D

20. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Guys, I need some motivation!

I took a lot of time off from swimming, my preferred workout, to study back in April and May, and now that's over and I did well, but for every day in the water, I've spent four out. [face_tired] It's been going on for nearly three months and I'm starting to feel like a lazy slug.

21. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    If I can start walking again, then I'd hope you'd be able to resume swimming. Regardless of the exact purpose, you should find comfort & enjoyment in that activity once again.

Juliet316 likes this.
  22. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    I had a big kick in the teeth yesterday, Cor, so I know what you're saying. I went to the gym after not working out for 16 days. For my last workout before my break, I rode a stationary bike for 50 mins. For my workout yesterday, I rode a stationary bike for 50 mins. The difference in performance? I was a whole mile less! Plus, I was beat! I was barely able to move.

Plus, I'm 5lbs heavier this month than last. :(

But...I'm back at it now. If this ish were easy, everyone would be doing it. You got this.

DarthTunick likes this.
  23. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    You have access to a pool to swim in? I'm jealous, go swim some laps for me :)

I attended a track meet tonight. I ran a 6:47 mile, the fastest mile I have clocked since having my second baby last Sept :)

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Fibromyalgia flare-up from hell today. Fortunately I already ran three days this week.

Runjedirun could do circles around me at that speed and still get in a half-marathon while I do 5K. :p I still want to build up my speed but I'm not going to worry about it in the fall.

My Mom found a chart and put it on Facebook in which you input how far you've run and then it shows how far you would have gone if it were 30 degrees cooler.

25. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    15 mile run was not as bad as I expected this morning. Just so you all know when I do these long runs they are not fast, my average pace this morning was 9:38 per mile. I have an advantage in that I've always been involved in sports. Been running for the better part of 13 years. Before tearing ligaments in my ankle in 2012 and then being pregnant most of 2013 I could run a 5k in under 21 minutes and a marathon in under 3:30. So far my fastest 5k this year has been 23:18 so I feel like I have a ways to go. But I realize for a 36yr old female that has had two kids I'm doing pretty good :)

Kiki-Gonn, Juliet316 and tom like this.