main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2014 Fitness Goals

Discussion in 'Community' started by Souderwan, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I began 2014 down four pounds from the eight I was when I was the start of my diet. I hope to lose at the least a solid ten pounds, so at least six to go. Then I'll reevaluate. I'll probably end up going for fifteen or so.

Runjedirun and Juliet316 like this.
  2. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    i should probably pick up running. and teach my puppy to enjoy swimming. not so much for the exercise as for the splashing around

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Get a puppy treadmill because that would be totes adorbs.

4. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Will Smith had one of those in I Am Legend, and it seemed cool.

Zapdos and Kiki-Gonn like this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I have to use my inhaler before I start, and stick to the indoor track in weather that aggravates it.

6. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Anakinfan is correct in that Anorexia is a very specific disorder (thanks for that response btw!)

Since you don't seem to understand, perhaps an analogy would help? To me, eating food is like when I had to do homework back when I was in school. I'd look at the piece of paper, pick it up, then decide to leave it until later. I'd probably do that several times before actually completing the homework. Substitute homework for food and you're left with the same thing - a chore to be left as long as possible.

I'm not eating little because I'm unwilling to put on weight, it's simply a dull activity that takes up time in the day, and so I try not to do much of it.

7. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    I've been doing 5k in about 33 min as well, so my goal for 2014 would be to bring to below 30. Aside from that I'd like to be able to run more frequently, perhaps increase my frequency to 4 or 5 times a week. They are not very ambitious goals, I just want to maintain overall fitness and be able to eat what I want without worrying too much. I also found that it improves my mood so that's a nice extra.

Souderwan likes this.
  8. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/eating-disorders-not-otherwise-specified-ednos

Check into it. You may not think you have an eating disorder, but anyone that calls eating dull and boring to done as little as possible has something going on mentally. I aint a doctor but I ain't stupid either. If you don't eat you die. And not getting enough nutrition cause you don't have time in the day or its boring is considered a psychological impairment. You need to eat, no excuses.
    ONE MORE THING
    If you continue to post on this thread about you not wanting to eat and needing to gain weight you are gonna piss off a lot of people. Many of us, myself included are struggling with weight loss and someone coming on here claiming to need to gain weight and claiming they don't have time to eat is an affront to us. We struggle with weight loss and body image. We don't need some young kid making us feel worse cause we like to eat food and take time to eat.

9. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    I bet way more people are being pissed off about the fitness thread getting beezl'd.

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    07jonesj : You're welcome. :) And while I can't speak for the OP, from my end you are trying to get healthy just like the rest of us and should feel free to share your progress with us. Even as a 42-year-old who has struggled with middle-age weight gain, the last thing I feel while reading your struggles is offended.

heels1785 , 07jonesj and Juliet316 like this.
  11. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Then stop trying to diagnose her.

12. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    beezel26 I'm sorry if I've offended you with my situation, was certainly not my intention. The reason I posted my last message was because you asked twice about it, and I hoped to help you understand. I'll stop posting if others also indicate that my presence isn't helpful here. Weight loss/weight gain seems very much to be two sides of the same coin to me.

For example, in terms of muscle fitness, I don't get out much, which means I'm also generally unfit in terms of cardio. I own a cross-trainer and should really get around to using it. Much like how being overweight can result in a lack of energy to get fit, I face the same situation of having a lack of energy.

13. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    You seem like a nice person, 07jonesj. Last time I checked, this was not a thread reserved for overweight people looking to lose weight, it's for general fitness, and to help each other reach goals, as we did last year- so I wouldn't worry about offending anyone. Your struggles are as real as our own.

I do hope everything works out for you in the new year.

14. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005

It occurs to me from what you've posted, that you don't actually know what I mean by juicing. Thanks for your input, though.

Juliet316 likes this.
  15. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I skimmed through the posts following this one and they also seem to be full of over simplified distorted stereotypes, so I'm just going to address this one instead.

-Yes stereotypes do come from somewhere, I totally get that there's some truth to them - but every single person with an ED is different.
    -Anorexia is a term for a very specific disorder when in fact what's being discussed in the thread is just called a flat eating disorder. Given that no one in here knows crap about this person's situation, it's a bit weird to just jump the conversation over to anorexia when the highest amount of people suffering from eating disorders suffer from EDNOS instead, which also encompasses some of the same if not all of the same requirements for anorexia. I don't have my panties in a bunch over this, but it can get incredibly rude when people start throwing around the term "anorexic" when really people should just say eating disorder.
    -Food actually does play a role in any type of ED, including anorexia, although the other things you said can also factor in. Every single person I've known with anorexia or EDNOS (which is unfortunately a lot) has had completely different traits and reasons. Some cross over, some completely unique.
    -An anorexic would be in here posting about a need to gain weight because they're not all trying to lose weight 24/7 contrary to stereotype. Those in recovery are still afflicted, those in force recovery, and those fully suffering usually always have a part of the brain that wants to recover and gain.

Not trying to pick on your anakinfan, I know you're not the one calling this person anorexic or bringing up the subject. And I totally agree that we don't even know what's going on with this person and they could be suffering from a million other things that aren't our business. The whole thing is just really uncalled for and completely rude to start asking about especially in a thread about fitness, which is a place where some of us come for positive reinforcement. I don't want to come in here and hear about this depressing irrelevant crap.

edit: I just read beezel's last post on EDNOS that I must have missed. Beez, you're incredibly offensive and you have no idea what you're talking about. Please stop it.

16. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Well put, SLG.

Juliet316 likes this.
  17. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    Sorry for the double post, but I just caught up after driving all day.

Seriously. Everything about his posts suggests that he's fully aware of his needs and he didn't come into this thread seeking advice--expert medical or otherwise. He stated hi goals, which indicated that he was fully aware of his issue. Back off.

Speak for yourself. I created this thread last year as a support system for people working to improve their fitness. Not just lose weight. We all have fitness issues. So either show some respect and empathy or leave. You clearly don't need the support. Everyone is welcome here so long as they're respectful and supportive. kthnxbai.

Please. It is we (well, beezel) who should apologize to you. You are absolutely very welcome here. I have a very good friend who has the exact same issue as you do. She has to force herself to eat on a schedule as the only way to make it work. I suggested juicing because she found it easy to add calories to her day by drinking one of her meals to sort of "get it over with". She did that for quite a few months successfully before she went back to eating regular meals. Fitness is fitness. It's not just about working out. It's about eating well and you clearly understand that. Please know that you can come here and discuss your successes and failures as you work on your goals for the year. Thanks so much for sharing with us! Welcome!

Edit: I also missed the gender memo. Sorry about that!

18. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I agree with your post, but there's one thing I can't ignore. The person you're talking about is a male. I'm sure it's an innocent mistake, but a lot of people assume that eating disorders are solely female disorders, and that's not helpful.

Anyway... thread got beez'd... moving on... I've got a lot of my strength in my leg back. I still have knee pain when it's cold (and being in Colorado in January, that's often), but I'm going to work it harder this year. I did a good amount of bike riding over the summer, which was really good for regaining strength. I did three rounds of physical therapy and am now done with that. This year, I plan to gradually get back into hiking. It'll be a good long while before I'm ready to do any serious mountain hiking, but I'd like to slowly work up to it over the next year or two. There are several easy and low-key trails near me, so I figure if I sit down and come up with a realistic plan that will gradually increase intensity over a long period of time, I'll do well with it.

19. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005

:oops: Full apologies 07jonesj for the misgendering. And your right harps, eating disorders aren't solely female disorders and that's a good distinction to note regardless.

And I for one am more than ready to move on from the thread getting derailed like it was.

20. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Okay, so, the first part of your post before this is telling someone that they have a mental disorder for not eating and being underweight, and in this part you say that is an affront to you because you want to lose a little bit of weight. Do you not see how awful you are?

21. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    So back to our personal fitness goals without judgement or unsolicited diagnosis (or misgendering...so sorry about that).....

Sent from my ME302C using Tapatalk

22. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I ended the year right around 40lbs lighter than when I started. Which isn't bad at all, but new health issues that have arisen make it clear that I need to work this year to maintain a better eating life, and I'd love to drop another 70lbs.

23. Sandtrooper92

Sandtrooper92 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 31, 2013
    I'm a doctor. What did I miss?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Beezel thinking he's an expert on eating disorders.

25. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I'm 6'4 and went from 220 to 180 over the last 9 months of 2013, doubtless owing to my not drinking roughly a 2-liter of soda every night as part of my erstwhile nightly binge drinking session. Unfortunately my low weight belies my appalling diet and and complete and total lack of anything what could be deemed "exercise". I seem to have been blessed with extraordinarily good genes with regards to weight, but I almost wish that weren't the case so that I could have something to keep me accountable regarding fitness.

Kiki-Gonn and heels1785 like this.