main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2014 Fitness Goals

Discussion in 'Community' started by Souderwan, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    Good luck, Brian!

I went for a run this morning, it was 28 degrees outside and I had a decent run, nothing special. Now, since this is a college town, students something do rude things when they drive by. Sometimes they randomly yell to startle you, sometimes it's obscene gestures. Anyway, this morning as I finished my run and was waiting by a traffic light on my way back home, a van drives by and the person in the passenger seat gives me a thumbs up. Of course I just stared back in confusion, but after a few seconds I realized it was a refreshing thing to see. I don't think that was a college student :p

2. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    So I just went to collect my bib for this Wounded Warrior 5k. It's cold out but I know I'll warm up once I start running. I hate the dilema of whether or not to keep the sweat pants on.

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Keep them on until the very last minute.

4. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    Fortunately, it warmed up pretty well and that made the decision for me. So my goal was to finish in under 35 mins and not walk at any point. Nailed both goals. I was 58th out of 66 in my age group. :p

So I was totally faster than 8 people!

Final time: 33:24

Apparently there's an email coming with an "official" time so it might be a bit different. That said, I'm pretty happy with the result.

5. Darth Morella

Apr 5, 2004
    Congratulations!

And isn't it nice to know that there's always someone slower than us?

Juliet316 and Souderwan like this.
  6. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Good job Brian.

I learned in my run (it was quite cold and there was hours of waiting) from a seasoned runner that a garbage bag makes for a great body heat retaining poncho.
    You can run with it on and then discard whenever you're warmed up enough.

I turned it into a cape at one point to at least keep the rain off my back but finally got so hot I jettisoned the whole thing.

Souderwan likes this.
  7. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    True story. All the people running this thing were military or ex-military. As I was looking around at all the lithe, fit bodies everywhere, I was 90% sure I was going to be the slowest dude out there. So yeah...I'm pretty damned gratified that I beat at least somebody! :p

Darth Tunes likes this.
  8. Darth Morella

Apr 5, 2004
    Kiki-Gonn: that reminds me of this in Silver Linings Playbook.

[​IMG]

Looks silly but sounds like a good idea.

9. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I need to see that movie

10. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    It's an awesome movie.

In other news, I've discovered that by spending all my waking hours playing Dragonage, I've acquired the body fat percentage of an "extremely fit" woman. Clearly these tests know what they're talking about, so I'm going to recommend this fitness routine to everyone else.

harpua and soitscometothis like this.
  11. Darth Morella

Apr 5, 2004
    It is a great movie. JLaw makes a really convincing crazy person.

12. Darth Morella

Apr 5, 2004
    So, I got my Fitbit and can't wait to try it. I was gonna buy it myself but my husband bought it for me as a Bday present, and we did wait till Black Friday so it was $25 off. I'd been out of town this week but I'm ready to set this thing up and have fun with it. Just in time to start 2015 on a good note :D

rhonderoo and Souderwan like this.
  13. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    Awesome. You can friend me! Race time. :p

Darth Morella likes this.
  14. Darth Morella

Apr 5, 2004
    Awesome, a friend! :p

Souderwan likes this.
  15. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I tried that planking thing for two minutes. That's pretty tough. I'm expecting to feel it in a day or two.

Finally got back to running regularly this week. My left knee gives me a certain amount of pain for the first five minutes or so these days, though it seems to ease off after that. My limping run for those five minutes must look awful though.

16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    One of my 2015 goals is going to be to add something to my running, probably weights. I'm also debating between training for a tri or just doing longer runs.

Souderwan likes this.
  17. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    ^I occasionally up my four miles to seven on the weekends. Only difficult at first, you quickly get used to it. You do need to make sure you're really well hydrated for the longer runs, though, especially if the weather is warm.

18. Darth Morella

Apr 5, 2004
    Um, still getting used to my Fitbit. I haven't worn a watch in years so the first day felt a bit awkward; I'm getting used to it, though. I'm still smoothing out some connection issues with MyFitnessPal (I went to run this morning and the calories burned didn't show in MFP even though they're supposed to be linked), but other than that I have no complaints. I like the alarm mode, I'm a light sleeper so I hate loud noises in the morning, so this is just perfect. Also, I went running without my clunky iPhone and that was great.

19. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Similar to SLG's experiences with DA (though I'm pretty sure you're playing Inquisition whereas I'm just getting into 2). My character does crazy awesome flips while fighting Ogres.

Sith-Lord-Gunray likes this.
  20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Celebrating my 43rd birthday tomorrow with a 5K at 8 a.m.

Goal is to best my time from four weeks ago, even if I only beat it by a minute or less.

And to feel motivated enough by Sunday to actually set some (realistic) goals for 2015 and look at (realistic) training plans.

And to get past that voice in my head that sounds like Santa Claus from A Christmas Story saying "You'll blow your knees out woman!" every time I think about half-marathons.

21. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I haven't ran since the week after Thanksgiving, what with all the travel, but this weekend I'm prioritizing it. On the fitbit, I wear mine pretty much all day everyday and don't count my exercise in MyFitnessPal, just sync with the fitbit. Even when I run. Keeps it pretty consistent. I've heard of people wearing them on the ankle when biking since it doesn't track that movement as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Souderwan likes this.
  22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    OK, who moved my 5K to the middle of friggin' Colorado?

I ran a section of Charlotte that it have never run before and holy hills, Batman. Three of them, steep ones.

I did beat my gun time from last month by 15 seconds though.

23. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    That's a bit of a run from NC to CO.

24. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Better get started!

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Is anyone interested in a 2015 thread? I'll start it if no one else wants to.

How I ended the year:

I'm happy with how I've done with running. I was an elliptical-trainer-only person up until this past New Year's and I've done several 5Ks and increased my time with each one. And even better, I've come to really love it. I look forward to a run the way I look forward to a good comedy and a glass of wine at the end of the day and that's as important as any PRs for me.

I also learned to kayak this year, not something I can do year-round, but I enjoy it and its benefits during the summer.

Didn't do so well keeping up with yoga, which I used to be very good about.

Anyway...thanks for this thread Souderwan . It's been fun for me this year.

Souderwan likes this.