main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2014 Fitness Goals

Discussion in 'Community' started by Souderwan, Dec 31, 2013.

1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Anyone still use nordic tracks? Just curious.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  2. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999

500 calories of fruit is better for you than 500 calories of cookies, but things like weight watchers don't care because they're only concerned with the calorie count. If you eat good, clean, healthy, natural, unprocessed foods you will undoubtedly eat less because you're body is getting what it needs. You don't get hungry because you're body needs X amount of food in it's belly. You get hungry because your body needs nutrients (protein, fat, carbs, vitamins, electrolytes, etc). If you're eating crap food that doesn't provide many nutrients you will be more hungry more often because your body is not getting what it needs and it is trying to tell you something.

3. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I am super glad I have a paper route as a second job. Most of the houses I deliver to are relatively close together, meaning it is more efficient to walk my route rather than drive up and toss the paper out the window. And so a consequence of this is that I am walking 10 miles over the course of 2.5-3 hours every single morning. This has kept me in the best shape of my life, and I'm loving every minute of it. Four years ago, before I started this job, I weighed 225+. As of today, I weigh 186!

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003

Well done.

I recently cut out soda and fruit juice, as well as fast food, entirely. It's been tough, but my dad always referred to soda as "bottomless"- not at all filling, no nutritional value, but you keep craving more of it while you pack on the sugar. Just keep drinking and drinking.

5. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Cutting out soda and fast food have been the only successes I have had with "healthy eating". They are great steps.

It's an "off day" for me and running today. I did a Jillian Michaels Kickbox/abs video this morning before work.

Souderwan likes this.
  6. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    Fitness is not just about losing fat, it's about being healthy no matter what your body type. Making someone else feel guilty for their body type, no matter what that type is, is not healthy for your own mind and spirit, and a healthy mind & spirit are just as important as a healthy body.

For the person struggling with eating because they find it a chore - do you eat mostly processed (pre-made packaged) food? If so I suggest trying some natural unprocessed foods and finding some recipes that interest you. Maybe host a pot luck with friends & family and encourage everyone to try a new recipe instead of just buying pizza or KFC. Make eating a social thing with other people and it may not seem like as much of a chore but something fun instead. Trick your brain into associating good food with good times.

Juliet316 likes this.
  7. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I failed last year's goals. I was doing ok, working out three days a week, watching my bad food intake, etc. But then life got a lot busier and I no longer have the time nor the energy to work out...and food has gone from nourishment to vice. My waistline has increased but atm I'm just too busy/tired to care. I suppose married life can do that.

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I timed my run this morning. Thanks, inspirational people. [face_dancing]

I'm averaging about a nine-minute mile right now, so yeah...slow. But I actually thought I was slower. :p

As far as soda, I got rid of my Diet Coke habit last year had replaced it with LaCroix sparkling water. I don't even like the taste of soda anymore.

07jonesj, Souderwan and Runjedirun like this.
  9. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    They say guys gain lots of weight after first getting married. Not a surprise really. You got the girl no need to eat healthy and exercise. Until you wake up to the fact you are getting fat and need to work out. Having someone to support your exercise regime and healthy habit helps immensely. Kinda the same way for any sort of regiment you have.

10. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I have a long-term goal to get myself back under 200 pounds for the first time in my adult life. However, with what I currently weigh, setting that as a 2014 goal would be foolish, unlikely, and unhealthy. I also recognize that my weight is but one factor of health. Still, I'd like to drop 52 pounds this year, and make a significant dent in that goal.

Here are some lifestyle goals I'm setting to help me get there.

Currently doing a minimum of 12 20-minute workouts per month. I want that to 20 by mid year and 25 by year's end.

Increase my intake of FRESH vegetables. By mid year, I need to be the habit of having fresh veggies packed in my lunch on 4/5 work days.

Decrease my poor eating habits, including fast food, over eating, and over processed foods. No goal yet, but seeking an achievable goal of moderation.

Finally, I need to find and visit and utilize a general physician.

Looking forward to you guys helping to keep me on track

11. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    anakinfansince1983 9 minute miles are nothing to souch at! Faster than I'm training at right now.

DarthIntegral Please do check in with a doctor. I know of a few people who waited too long to see one last year and though they came through okay I know they wish they'd gone earlier.

12. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    Um...10:30-11:00 is about where I average. :p

I can go faster, but I've found that I enjoy my runs more when I take it (relatively) easy and just run a good long distance. Pretty sure I'd be dead if I ran 5 km at a 9 min pace!! You're a beast!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  13. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    9 minute miles are great!

I started at 13 minute miles and it took me about 1.5 years to get to where I am now.

Good luck DarthIntegral! You have some great, achievable goals. :)

14. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I think my record for running a mile is 7:30. But that was when I was a teenager. I haven't timed myself as an adult.

15. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    My record for the mile is around 5:40, and that's considered slow in regards to college track and field.

16. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Yes, I do. Still going strong and has outlived two ellipticals.

17. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    We got rid of ours in the early 2000's in order to have enough space for the treadmill sadly.

18. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    Aight here we go. Right now I am laid up because I am pretty sure I fractured my foot on Monday but I want to put my goals on paper. I tried to workout last year but I still wasn't in a great place with my depression from losing my grandmother. I feel as though my motivation has definitely started coming back in all aspects of my life. Plus, my man got me a fitbit for Christmas so this will help monitor my health and goals.

-Run at least 3x a week
    -Lift weights/yoga/barre classes 2x week
    -Meatless Mondays
    -Limit carb intake to 50g a day
    -Walk at least 10k steps a day (shouldn't be hard, I am a teacher)

I am sure that I will add as the year goes along. I expect Souderwan to keep me on track via FB :p

Healer_Leona and Juliet316 like this.
  19. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999

I would suggest upping that carb intake. Your body (and especially brain) needs carbs to survive. Instead of putting a limit on how many I would suggest changing the source, ie unsaturated fat instead of sugar. By lowering the carbs too much you will find yourself becoming lethargic and moody.

20. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    The biggest change for me the past 6 months that I noticed was cutting out almost all bread & dairy. Both are completely unnecessary in a human's diet and just add in extra sugar and sodium that we don't need. The few nutrients that we do get from these can be found in much better and healthier sources.

21. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    You are assuming that I am not already lethargic and moody.

Souderwan and soitscometothis like this.
  22. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    My sister asked me if I want to do a full marathon next Jan.
    Not sure, it'd be hard to get in the proper training with 2 small kids. I am going to run a full someday but doubt it will be now.

I got my weight below 160 last year. 155 while getting stronger is my new goal. I also want to run a half marathon again, this time maybe at an actual event.

Runjedirun likes this.
  23. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Full marathons are not that hard. I've done so may I lost count, (either 10 or 11). For your first one just make it your goal to finish. I have two small kids and I am signed up for two halfs this year, however if the bug bites I might upgrade the half I signed up for in November to a full.

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    How's everyone doing? I know a good portion of the US has turned into the dark side of Hoth.

I took today off from running and did yoga for about 35 minutes, which was long enough to realize how out of practice I am. :p It'll come back; I did yoga regularly for several years.

heels1785 likes this.
  25. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    I killed the thread, but I'm doing well. Neighborhood next to ours must get more sun and has less ice so I ran over there this morning. I take two days off from running a week. Right now those two days are determined by the weather. I'll probably take off Tuesday for weather reasons this week. Not sure which other day yet.

Yoga is excellent for runners. I have two runner specific yoga DVD's that I love and should do more often. Did one once last week.

Souderwan and heels1785 like this.